Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 01:27 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Good observation.

I hope Sheena comes back and explains.
I hope so too and I hope my enquiry hasn't offended her. Sheena has demonstrated herself through her many posts to be a good-spirited, compassionate and well intentioned person with a heart of gold. I would be really sad if there's a chance that she and her generosity has been getting taken advantage of by an internet scammer in a different country who isn't who they say they are.

The friend's actions sounds rather suspicious. A person in a different country couldn't be expected to know how the provincial disability programs systems and requirements work in each of Canada's provinces and that they aren't transferable from one province to another. If the woman who moved from BC to Nova Scotia was collecting disability benefits in BC and then moved to Nova Scotia she would be dropped from the BC programs and would lose her benefits from BC. She would have to re-apply for medical coverage and disability benefits all over again to Nova Scotia's government, and she MUST have a verifiable account with a Canadian financial institution in Nova Scotia for direct deposits from Nova Scotia's government. And when all is said and done she would not get the same benefits in NS that she would have been getting in BC, she'd be getting less because of the differences in that province's population and economy. It doesn't make sense that somebody on BC disability benefits would have made a move like that. Unless they aren't really someone with disabilities.

But Sheena couldn't be expected to know about any of that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 04:08 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I’m Canadian and use Amazon.ca. However I was able to sign in to Amazon.com just now using the same email address and password. Once in, I navigated to the screen to buy an American gift card (“This Gift Card can only be used to purchase eligible goods and services available on Amazon.com, and cannot be used on Amazon websites in other countries.”)

See if you can do the reverse i.e. sign into Amazon.ca and buy a gift card from there. Your credit card would be charged the U.S. dollar equivalent of the Canadian amount for a gift card.

I’m not sure this will work for you though. I joined Amazon.com about 20 years ago before there was a Canadian site plus I was a subscriber to audible.com for many years. So that may be the reason I can sign in to both Amazon sites.

For miscellaneous household items, I suggest your friend look at thrift stores or garage sales. She may be able to find real bargains.
She has been looking in thrift shops and garage sales. She even got some things free.

She's excited about decorating and she's sent pictures of the interior of the house. I understand the aesthetic she is wants -beachy "cottage core" mixed with shabby chic. She is looking for blue transfer wear and she is primarily using white, blue, and a touch of yellow.

I'd just like to send a gift -pretty, but practical. The money was just to get her through a few days.

There are companies that specifically send gifts to other countries from the US. These are mostly luxury gifts that are quite overpriced.

I'll look into Amazon. Thanks.

Old 06-29-2022, 04:46 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Re: the bolded part above, if she is on a disability program through any government agency then she has to have an account with a recognized financial institution in Canada, i.e. a bank or a credit union. In Canada any kinds of pensions or welfare or disability programs benefits must be paid to the recipient via automatic deposit into the recipient's bank or CU account. If the recipient doesn't hold an account with a financial institution then the recipient doesn't get their money. If your friend hasn't opened an account yet in Glace Bay she better do that PDQ - although I'm sure she's already aware of that immediate requirement if she qualifies for disability benefits.

Which leads me to this question. Sheena, forgive me for asking but I'm only asking out of concern for YOU and your own welfare - how well do you know this friend, and for how long? Are you 100% positive you aren't being scammed for money and material goods by an "internet friend" who is wanting to make sure she does not leave any kind of financial paper trail that can be discovered by government agencies that she's getting disability benefits money from?

It seems unusual that a person who is apparently on disability benefits in Vancouver would leave the very good provincial social programs there, sell everything and travel across the country to live in near destitution in a small Atlantic coastal mining town in another province that doesn't have social programs as good as British Columbia's programs.

I've known her for 30+ years. She lived in NYC for a while. We are not online or Facebook "friends". We also have a couple of mutual friends, Canadian and American. (3)

Also, my account is a joint checking and saving account with my husband. I really wanted to keep him out of it. I have known her longer than I have him. Not that he's complain, I'd just rather do it privately. I just do not want to discuss it with him.

As far as the difference in social programs from one province to another, I don't know anything about that. I don't know what time of the month her check comes. She has only been there a little over a week.

I am sure that since she gets direct deposit, she is aware of this also. I did not know that her disability payment would be different in another province. In the US, government program payments are the same from one state to the next, so it's not uncommon to, for example, earn Social Security in a high cost of living state, and retire to a lower cost of living state, thus reaping the benefits.

I really appreciate your concern, though. I am originally from NYC and the surrounding area. I am fairly street smart and a good judge of character. As for money, I "Western Unioned" her only $100.

I'm sending a new home gift - probably towels or sheets from JCPenny, my go to discount department store, if I can, because they are inexpensive and - under $75
If they don't deliver to Glace Bay, I will send them from here.

After that I am done. No more money or gifts.

Old 07-01-2022, 10:24 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes I do.

I also remember the song that came with the earlier commercials.

As kids we played " wedding " and would march down the street in our little procession singing

" Let's all go to A & W !

Foods more fun, at A & W!

We'll have a mug of root beer, or maybe two or three,
Pick a perfect size from the burger family!

Oh, Let's all to to A & W ! "

I haven't checked for accuracy, but thats' how I remember it, and the fact that I do, shows the power of advertising.
I set my phone down and forget where three times a day, but I can sing the entire Wrigley's Spearmint Gum commercial from the mid-1960s.

Old 07-01-2022, 11:23 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

I've known her for 30+ years. ... < snip > .....I'm sending a new home gift - probably towels or sheets from JCPenny, my go to discount department store, if I can, because they are inexpensive and - under $75

Thanks for the explanation. At least she picked a good time of year to make a move like that and start life over again. You're a good friend and I hope she gets herself back on her feet again very soon.

Old 07-01-2022, 03:30 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I've known her for 30+ years. She lived in NYC for a while. We are not online or Facebook "friends". We also have a couple of mutual friends, Canadian and American. (3)

Also, my account is a joint checking and saving account with my husband. I really wanted to keep him out of it. I have known her longer than I have him. Not that he's complain, I'd just rather do it privately. I just do not want to discuss it with him.

As far as the difference in social programs from one province to another, I don't know anything about that. I don't know what time of the month her check comes. She has only been there a little over a week.

I am sure that since she gets direct deposit, she is aware of this also. I did not know that her disability payment would be different in another province. In the US, government program payments are the same from one state to the next, so it's not uncommon to, for example, earn Social Security in a high cost of living state, and retire to a lower cost of living state, thus reaping the benefits.

I really appreciate your concern, though. I am originally from NYC and the surrounding area. I am fairly street smart and a good judge of character. As for money, I "Western Unioned" her only $100.

I'm sending a new home gift - probably towels or sheets from JCPenny, my go to discount department store, if I can, because they are inexpensive and - under $75

JCP won't deliver to Canada. I ordered a bunch of things from them because they are one of the few places thst has reasonably-priced Tall clothes for women. Had them sent to my daughter on Long Island, and then when I met her for graduation in Albany, she gave them to me. So right now I am sitting in Ontario watching a Jays game on Canada Day wearing a T-shirt that's long enough from JCP.

Old 07-02-2022, 07:29 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyqueen801 View Post
i set my phone down and forget where three times a day, but i can sing the entire wrigley's spearmint gum commercial from the mid-1960s.
I feel your pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada