Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 06:37 AM

1,139 posts, read 615,707 times

Advertisements

The thing is this... if Lisa didn't post what she did, Bell Media would've gotten away with it.

The old boys club would've been laughing, status quo... let's get on with business Melling!

Right now Bell Media must hate Lisa, so there should be zero chances of bringing her back on if their so called internal investigation shows that Melling fired her for improper reasons.

This is the power of social media and even the news (they are all broadcasting Lisa's grey hair firing).

Kinda reminds me of all the stories of big corps screwing their customers (banks, insurance companies, etc) until the customer reports it to a news agency, the big corp gets bad press, then magically they "resolve" the issue in the customer's favour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2022, 10:55 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
At the end of the day, companies are a reflection of society writ large and this is something engrained in societal culture and corporate cultures across the landscape. No quick fixes here.

There will be plenty of case studies about this for a loooong time.
Boy howdy! You're spot on.

Old 08-29-2022, 11:13 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...-ctv-1.6564313

Old 08-29-2022, 11:29 AM

This whole thing is a mess.

Who to believe?

If Melling is innocent of any wrongful dismissal why is he "on leave pending the outcome of a workplace review".

I get why he went on leave... he can't be in the workplace while the garbage fire is raging. But "pending workplace review" sounds suspicious... or will he be the sacrificial lamb for Bell?

I still suspect that the new boss Melling butted heads with the established Lisa. His actions and statements seem to show a disdain for her. So I'm betting it's personal. He's showing her who's the big boss.

The article is interesting... is journalistic integrity compromised by management for damage control? I think it is.

Shame on them if that's the case.

Old 09-10-2022, 02:36 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/09/...een-elizabeth/

Quote:
Lisa LaFlamme joins CityNews as lead correspondent following Queen's death
Way to go Citynews!!

Old 09-10-2022, 05:49 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Way to go indeed! Yay for Lisa!

I like what was said here with regard to Lisa covering the things pertaining to the Queen "... “News coverage of such a pivotal moment in history is integral to achieving our mission of keeping Canadians connected and informed, and Lisa LaFlamme’s incredible talent and wealth of experience are befitting of an event of this magnitude.”

Old 09-10-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Lol, I knew one of the other news channels will snap her up.

I wonder if going from CTV to City TV is considered a downgrade. And so far she is given the title of Special Correspondence? Is this like a freelance thing?

Good for her... and look look look she retained her grey hair

Old 09-10-2022, 06:57 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Lol, I knew one of the other news channels will snap her up.

I wonder if going from CTV to City TV is considered a downgrade. And so far she is given the title of Special Correspondence? Is this like a freelance thing?

Good for her... and look look look she retained her grey hair
I don't think it's freelance. The definitions I found indicate that a Special Correspondent mainly covers only very important events. A Special Correspondent is a person who is accredited to the Union Government and whose regular duties are to report news of Parliamentary, Political, or general importance or a person in a metropolitan center who specializes in covering news of economic importance or national or international nature. The Special Correspondent is placed in a higher class on account of discharge of duties of higher work-load and responsibility. It's a very high paying job.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:59 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
I'll bet Melling is unable to even eat a well cooked crow at this point.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:09 AM

5,110 posts, read 2,050,817 times
The case of Lisa Laflamme reminded me of an older case who happened back in the 1980s in French CBC/ Radio-Canada when Louise Arcand was fired because she was too old. And from what I read on that old article from the French newspaper Le Devoir who was publised in 2004, they mentioned a case of double standards.
https://www.ledevoir.com/non-classe/...a-radio-canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada