Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 08:48 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times

Advertisements

When China President Xi felt qualified to dress down Trudeau in public, wouldn't it have been nice if Trudeau stood his ground and presented the overbearing Xi with a dose of backlash?

Trudeau had used a Tuesday meeting with Xi to complain about China's interference in Canada's 2019 elections, and he had made his displeasure known publicly. Xi didn't like that the media found out about this.
It is not Xi's place to demand that his bullying be kept secret. That's my take, as an American.
Your take?
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...orld-bully-g20
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 09:00 AM

2,397 posts, read 1,565,776 times
i think it was more a case of Trudeau telling the media than them finding out, as he said that how democratic governments work Something the Chinese need to be reminded of.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:52 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
When China President Xi felt qualified to dress down Trudeau in public, wouldn't it have been nice if Trudeau stood his ground and presented the overbearing Xi with a dose of backlash?

Trudeau had used a Tuesday meeting with Xi to complain about China's interference in Canada's 2019 elections, and he had made his displeasure known publicly. Xi didn't like that the media found out about this.
It is not Xi's place to demand that his bullying be kept secret. That's my take, as an American.
Your take?
Well Trudeau is annoying though and has a hard time not peeving off people so who knows. I'm not a big China or Xi Jinping sympathizer and certainly, Canada needs to be sticking up for itself forcefully against interference in domestic affair from foreign influences but still, diplomacy and dialogue sometimes should be handled with care. Something Justin isn't well known for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
i think it was more a case of Trudeau telling the media than them finding out, as he said that how democratic governments work Something the Chinese need to be reminded of.
Fine but Leaders are people and if there is no sense that they can trust that certain things should be kept in private, than how can dialogue continue? Imagine if Trudeau read off every single item he talks about to every Leader? Nobody would talk to him. That is just human nature.

Old 11-18-2022, 12:07 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
I agree with you. You can't conduct yourself well if you have no sense of what's on-the-record or not. I don't know if Trudeau misstepped or if Xi was making a point of his own in making a big deal out of nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well Trudeau is annoying though and has a hard time not peeving off people so who knows. I'm not a big China or Xi Jinping sympathizer and certainly, Canada needs to be sticking up for itself forcefully against interference in domestic affair from foreign influences but still, diplomacy and dialogue sometimes should be handled with care. Something Justin isn't well known for.

Fine but Leaders are people and if there is no sense that they can trust that certain things should be kept in private, than how can dialogue continue? Imagine if Trudeau read off every single item he talks about to every Leader? Nobody would talk to him. That is just human nature.

Old 11-18-2022, 12:21 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Why is China so interested in Canada's elections?

Old 11-18-2022, 12:30 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Your take?
No, it absolutely would NOT have been nice at all and I'm glad that this is one time when Justin stepped back instead of dishing out a dose of backlash.

I agree with Fusion2, there are some times when Justin gets too cocksure and spontaneous, when he needs to keep a sock in his mouth and practise more discretion and diplomacy when he's in the presence of and dealing with other world leaders and the press. The worst thing he can do is repeat some of the same kinds of undiplomatic mistakes, offensives and deliberate insults or lies like what the boorish Trump has always been inclined to do in public and which turned so many world leaders and nations against Trump and America in general during his tenure as president. Canada doesn't need a Prime Minister who pulls John Wayne stunts like that man did/does.

If Justin mouths off indiscriminately too much to the point that other world leaders are insulted and publicly losing face then he gains enemies not only for himself but for Canada as a whole. And the other world leaders that he hasn't offended yet will say to themselves "If Justin will show up so-and-so like that in public/to the press instead of keeping private disagreements private, then he will commit the same offenses against the rest of us sooner or later. Now he can't be trusted and we will all have to watch our backs around him." The spontaneity can make him sound like an boorish brat at times and if it happens often enough then nobody will take him seriously and won't be wanting to deal with him. That's not good for Canada.

Last edited by Zoisite; 11-18-2022 at 12:52 PM..

Old 11-18-2022, 12:36 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
I think there are certain conversations between leaders that are in confidence and shouldn't be shared. Trudeau, if anybody notices, is not well-liked among his peers. He is smarmy, syrupy, and has nothing important to say, He's a yes man whose sorry smile is so obviously fake. Narcissist. Canada is in such a sorry state economically because Trudeau wants to have an important legacy of being a leader who did better than anyone else with climate change matters. It is embarrassing to be such a weak, floppy, wimpy country.

We used to have the 3rd largest navy in the world, in the top 4 producers of forestry products, a widely hailed bread basket to the world. Now our military is a pittance. If we had to protect ourselves we couldn't even come close. So embarrassing.

It is so stupid to have our eggs all in one basket depending on the USA for our livelihood. Any business is doomed by doing that. You never can depend that things will stay the same for decades. A customer's boss can change directions when a new boss takes over. I lost a 1M dollar account when a new buyer took over. It died overnight.

Old 11-18-2022, 12:38 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
China is interested in everything that has been happening in Canada.

Old 11-18-2022, 12:38 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Same reason as they are so interested in USA.

Old 11-18-2022, 12:59 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Was it a secret that China interfered in Canadian elections? Does the average Canadian know this, or is it the sort of Trump/Russia collusion that only about a third of the people believe?

I'm asking because a proven case of interference, if it exists, should be made known to the world, whereas an accusation is a different thing and should be kept quiet. You know, innocent until proven guilty and all that stuff....
FTR, I never heard the story at all until this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada