Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 03:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,449 times

Advertisements

Post about anything related to Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2023, 07:31 AM

2,401 posts, read 1,570,296 times
hurricane Fiona, out of control fires in Shelburne County and Tantallon, flooding - what next a plague of locusts?

seriously though i love the city and the province but man have they ever been through the wringer

Old 08-09-2023, 07:43 AM

1,225 posts, read 498,842 times
Donairs are awesome.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:08 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
Everything is up hill (so it seems), had a great time there on vacation several years ago.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:41 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
hurricane Fiona, out of control fires in Shelburne County and Tantallon, flooding - what next a plague of locusts?

seriously though i love the city and the province but man have they ever been through the wringer
See what is going on in Hawaii... Nuts I hope this summer is just an anomaly but does not look like it.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:44 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Halifax is an awesome city. Lots of pubs and bars, good museums, The Citadel and also a good launching point for all the points of interest in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

Old 08-09-2023, 03:38 PM

1,549 posts, read 871,971 times
Tidal Bay wine number one.

Old 08-09-2023, 06:27 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
I've never been but N.S. is very popular in general with New Englanders. Some ride the CAT Ferry to Yarmouth, others including a present work colleague have actually driven all the way to Halifax from Boston. Both sides have strong ties to each other, ties that actually date back to the American Revolution. Loyalists separated from Patriots but remained friends and after tensions simmered down, trade resumed. It is said that the architecture in Halifax most resembles New England architecture, some houses were even pulled up and shipped over with the Loyalists. Later New England architectural styles such as the triple decker can also be found in Halifax. Boston was the first to respond when Downtown Halifax got blown to smithereens in a tragic freak explosion in 1917. Haligonians thank Bostonians every year by donating a splendid Christmas tree which is hoisted in front of our Prudential Center. Many Irish emigrated to Boston during the potato famine and many others likewise emigrated to N.S. during the same period. In fact, a former colleague commented that parts of N.S. look just like Ireland.

All right, that is almost all that I know about Halifax and New Scotland. That and the Atlantic Schooners. So when are the Schooners going to start playing? It's been 40 long years and counting for Atlantic Canada since they were first promised a professional football team . Halifax is the biggest city in Atlantic Canada so it makes most sense for the team to locate there, they just need to upgrade an existing stadium to CFL standards or build an entirely new one, the more expensive option.

Old 08-09-2023, 07:28 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
I love Halifax. I've been a few times.

Great pubs and bars, as has been said, and I'll add a great local music scene. From the buskers at the harbour to jam sessions at a pub to bands booked in a club, the music is terrific. The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia (wonderful permanent exhibit of Maud Lewis' folk art), and HMCS Sackville are must-see museums.

It is a very pleasant city to walk in, though the hills might prove a challenge. Never mind; it is not hilly everywhere, and there are ways to get where you want to go without facing a steep hill. The Public Gardens provide a nice place for a walk, for example.

It's also a great base to use for exploring Nova Scotia. Not all of the province, of course, but places like Lunenburg, Peggy's Cove, and Mahone Bay are just a daytrip away.

I'd recommend visiting Halifax to anyone.

Old 08-09-2023, 11:04 PM

1,225 posts, read 498,842 times
Since we're talking Halifax I will share some of my experiences there.

I actually (partially) grew up in Halifax. Moved to Halifax in the late 80s to the North End. I went to st stephens/highland park elementary, at least thats what it was called back then. Before living in Halifax my family actually lived in a rural part of the province for couple of years. For me it was great moving to the "big" city....it was also nice not being the only kid of color around. Most of my first friends in HFX were kids that lived in the Mulgrave Park Housing complex. I didn't live in the park but lived close to it and went to school with kids that lived here. Back in the 80s it was almost entirely Black. It is my understanding that is no longer in the case.

I have fond memories of my early days In Halifax. It was great that we now had cable TV and had movie theatres to go to, LOL. My mother would take me pretty often. Usually to the old paramount theatre on Barrington That's where I saw one of my favorite 80s movies, "Lean on me" with Morgan Freeman. The theatre is no longer there, this is what it looks like now.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6457...8192?entry=ttu

After a couple years my Mother went back to school to NSCAD, the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design. At this time we had moved closer to the South End to the Area around Queen victoria Hospital. I went to Gorsebrook Junior High across the street from the IWK and Grace maternity Hospital. Where my little sister was born. I am quite a few years older than her. My sister is nova scotian and has fmaily there, and goes back there often. I don't.

I ended finishing Junior High at another school, same school actor Elliot Page( formely known as Ellen Page) went to. They are younger than me. I never met "him". I didn't finish High shool in Halifax, In 1996 my fam got jobs in Montreal and we were gone. I stayed in MTL for while before moving out of the country with my Fathers family. I eventually came back to Montreal later and stayed there for about nine years.

I still keep contact with some old friends from Halifax. but not many that actually still live there. Most people I was friends with have moved away. They are spread out across Canada and the US. Last time I was in Halifax was in 2007. I was there for a bout 48 hours.

Google street view of few places I mentioned.

NSCAD university.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6494...8192?entry=ttu

This is my old elementary school. I noticed it says Junior High on the sign. When I went there this school was an elementary.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6650...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6648...8192?entry=ttu

Queen victoria hospital
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6379...8192?entry=ttu

View of the junior high and grace mternity Hospital
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6364...8192?entry=ttu

Last edited by Luisito80; 08-09-2023 at 11:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada