Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:40 AM

7 posts, read 51,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Sounds like you've got a personal "subculture" thing going on here. I'd be surprised if most people in Montreal (or anywhere else for that matter) have been all over the world. A lot of people don't travel much, and Plattsburgh might be the furthest they've ever ventured from home.

Granted, some sub-groups in society are extremely well-travelled, and if you mostly hang out with them you easily get the impression that everyone is the same. I've been to lots of places around the world and so have my siblings but my mom's never even been on a plane, and I know lots more people who've never flown.
Are you kidding.. You must not know Montreal to make a comment like that..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 AM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHRQ View Post
Are you kidding.. You must not know Montreal to make a comment like that..
Once again, you're mistaking your own entourage for larger society. What percentage of the population is low-income or under the poverty line? They certainly aren't travelling very far.

Even in the middle classes lots of people never travel or travel very little, because they have no burning desire to see other places.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:44 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I'd say most Canadians have visited the US- at least only certain regions (NY, CA, FL, Hawaii, Alaska). Canadians like to think they are very different from Americans, yet they are drawn to many U.S. cities. Furthermore, the RV culture & 'cross-country-driving' culture exists well in both nations. However, although there are some, it's not likely that there are many Canadians who visit less prominent parts of the US meaning it's not too common for Canadians I'd think, to visit certain Midwestern or Southern places for various reasons
Well, Canadians usually visit the most prominent areas (the ones you mentioned) and the states that border their province. For example, people from Manitoba visit North Dakota and Minnesota often and people from Saskatchewan visit Montana and North Dakota and people from Quebec visit Vermont and so on.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:25 PM

681 posts, read 2,912,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
What *I* don't comprehend are people living in the USA within a half hour drive of the Canadian border... people who have lived there their entire lives... and they've never been across. It's more common than the other way around.
Since I live farther away than that I may not have a good 'take' on your comment, but I will say the last time I visited CA I was "played" pretty strongly by a CA border crossing guy during my return to the US because he thought I was carrying a concealed firearm in my car. It was pretty obvious and very uncomfortable. I wasn't. Nor would I have been. But I was with my family and he took about 20 minutes too long "interviewing" me and attempting to get me to admit that I was 'carrying'.

Since - unknown to him - I am a former LE officer, I knew exactly what he was doing. And even could tell why. He mistakenly believed my environmental license plate on my car indicated it was a cop car. It began with a capital "E" and public agency cars where I live begin with a small "e" in a symbol. But at the time the symbol was not shown on typewritten plate lists. So he didn't know that.

Long story short, I don't like being "played" by officious persons. We were minding our own business and having fun on our vacation, and he interfered with our time because he wanted to play a "hunch". Didn't sit right and I will never drive in again. Fly in, yes. But will not drive.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:35 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,841 times
Quote:
I was "played" pretty strongly by a CA border crossing guy during my return to the US

Why would Canadian Border Services have anything to do you when you were exiting Canada and returning to the US?

Any land crossings into the US I've been through have not involved any "exit" controls.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:06 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,371,808 times
Thanks for the responses. With increased security at the border are Canadians finding it harder to travel across the border and will this decrease the number of Canadians who have traveled to the US?
I know it deters me from going to Canada. I find it easy to get in to Canada, but coming back to my own country, I now need a passport and get much more scrutiny from US border patrol even carrying my passport. Frankly, while I like leisure travel to Canada, I don't like the increased hassle of getting back into my own country so I'll probably go less than I otherwise would. That's too bad as there is lots of nice things to see. While the European Union makes it easier to cross borders, we are making it harder and I fail to see how this is progress. Most Americans opposed this but it didn't matter. I guess I am ranting to the wrong people here! haha. Not Canada's responsibility after all.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:04 AM

681 posts, read 2,912,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Why would Canadian Border Services have anything to do you when you were exiting Canada and returning to the US?

Any land crossings into the US I've been through have not involved any "exit" controls.
I was surprised by this a little, too. But the badge he was wearing and the flag in his kiosk was CA, not US. I said it was weird. That day they had had a truck accident at the nearby "commercial" crossing and had closed that down for several hours and were not letting trucks use the route we were on, so something was "afoot", but as to what it was I have no idea. Just won't drive again.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:25 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
I know of many Canadians who have come here to visit or to relocate. But they always go back...and I cant blame them, lol. I have family up near Quebec and though have never been to that part of CA, have seen many parts of it in pics and someday would like to go there.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:02 AM

315 posts, read 1,624,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
I know of many Canadians who have come here to visit or to relocate. But they always go back...
Interesting. I moved to Canada from California and I will be going back to California someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada