Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary, or Edmonton?
Toronto 62 43.36%
Montreal 36 25.17%
Quebec City 19 13.29%
Ottawa 19 13.29%
Vancouver 46 32.17%
Calgary 24 16.78%
Edmonton 8 5.59%
Other 15 10.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 11:11 AM

33 posts, read 113,562 times

Advertisements

call me racist but theres way to many asians in vancouver and thats a turn off for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 01:15 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Racist.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:16 PM

8 posts, read 37,283 times
I've visited both Toronto & Montreal before. I'm most familiar with Toronto, but Montreal seems like it has a better quality of life. Since I can speak English & French, linguistic issues don't play into the decision.

I haven't been to any of the western cities, although Vancouver sounds interesting. I probably wouldn't choose Calgary or Edmonton, simply because they don't sound public transit friendly, in spite of their LRT systems.

If I wanted someplace where I could feel truly welcome, I would choose Toronto.
If I wanted someplace where I could live in complete comfort, I would choose Montreal.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:39 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmop_210 View Post
I've visited both Toronto & Montreal before. I'm most familiar with Toronto, but Montreal seems like it has a better quality of life. Since I can speak English & French, linguistic issues don't play into the decision.

I haven't been to any of the western cities, although Vancouver sounds interesting. I probably wouldn't choose Calgary or Edmonton, simply because they don't sound public transit friendly, in spite of their LRT systems.

If I wanted someplace where I could feel truly welcome, I would choose Toronto.
If I wanted someplace where I could live in complete comfort, I would choose Montreal.
Just to clarify, Calgary has an amazing transit system.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:24 PM

124 posts, read 611,532 times
Vancouver because the weather is fantastic.

By the way, if you want white bread in BC, I suggest Vancouver island in the Victoria area.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:55 PM

25 posts, read 157,254 times
T Dot! It's diverse and there's lots of entertainment and stuff going on!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:43 PM

266 posts, read 1,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by want1too View Post
call me racist but theres way to many asians in vancouver and thats a turn off for me
Can't afford live there huh?

Old 08-11-2008, 11:26 AM

8 posts, read 37,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Just to clarify, Calgary has an amazing transit system.
I'm not denying that Calgary has an amazing public transit system. I'm just saying that it tends to leave many areas underserved or not served at all outside of rush hour.

Check this document: http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/engineering_services/emaps/transit_map.pdf (broken link)

Off to the left side of it, you will find a table that shows the frequencies of bus routes. It says that only 18 out of the 162 bus routes in Calgary (including LRT and BRT) provide mid-day service with frequencies that are better than 30 minutes; it also says that 49 routes out of those 162 do not operate during mid-day. Also, there are only 3 routes out of 94 that provide service on Sundays with frequencies that are better than 30 minutes, one of which is a shuttle between the LRT and a shopping center. Some other routes provide service on Sundays with a frequency of every 75 minutes.

It seems to me that a city with a population having passed 1 million should be able to provide service that is better than this. It is clear that their network is great during rush hour. However, this lack of service at other times makes it much more tempting to own a car, where a truly great public transit system, like those seen in other cities like Toronto and Montreal, should be able to convince people not to own a car.

On that same document, it also states, above that table, that only 9 LRT stations outside of downtown do not have parking facilities, clearly showing that they know a large number of commuters come in their cars to the stations. Unfortunately, such problems are not their fault, but the fault of those who develop sprawling subdivisions at the edge of the city. It is extremely unfriendly to public transit; Calgary Transit even published a guide on transit-friendly design. Almost any of the sprawling subdivisions in Toronto or Montreal are located outside of the city, so their public transit system is not obligated to provide service there; they are left to suburban transit providers.

In closing, if you don't own a car in Calgary, be prepared to pay a lot in taxi fares when public transit has left you stranded.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:12 PM

105 posts, read 317,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Girl View Post
Vancouver because the weather is fantastic.

By the way, if you want white bread in BC, I suggest Vancouver island in the Victoria area.
I guess to someone from Seattle Vancouver has fantastic weather. I would hardly call raining half the year as fantastic but whatever floats your boat, literally...

Old 04-12-2009, 11:34 PM

9 posts, read 105,497 times
TO. However if I make over 200k/yr & my wife makes another 150k/yr I'll probably choose Van.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada