Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 09:44 AM

44 posts, read 297,763 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to Vancouver Island. Need someplace where the rentals aren't too expensive, and where there would be some clerical jobs. Prefer a quiet place. Also would be interested in info. about Hope or Cache Creek which are quite inexpensive to live in. Or even Terrace? Any jobs in Terrace where you wouldn't need to be on your feet all day or do heavy lifting?
Naniamo doesn't sound too expensive, and I like what I've heard about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 12:34 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Cache Creek and Hope are tiny, out of the way places. Cache Creek especially would be an entirely isolating experience that I'm not sure I'd recommend without visiting. Terrace, again, an incredibly isolating experience. Visit before committing. These are all very random places you have chosen - did you just blindly point at a map of BC or were you seeking out the cheapest places to live? Typically if they're rock bottom cheap, it's because they're so out of the way, there's likely little to do there (including little job choice).

Old 02-27-2009, 06:22 PM

44 posts, read 297,763 times
Hi Robynator, thanks for getting back to me - I was hoping you would, since I notice you're from BC. I have been looking on realtor.ca and a few other real estate sites for awhile, and yes, Terrace, Hope and Cache creek seem to be the cheapest, while still having an actual town structure. I don't mind isolated too much - but some small places have a sort of violent and hostile atmosphere - and others don't. I would love to move to Vancouver Island because its very warm in the winter - but I think it might be too expensive - although Nanaimo doesn't seem to be , and I am acquainted with someone in Nanaimo who recommended it. I would have to rent in Nanaimo, or find a job that included an apartment or room. Good point about the jobs though - I have applied for some in Terrace and Hope, but no luck - it is difficult to apply for jobs from so far away, because employers probably figure you won't go that far. I have a health condition where I need to avoid cold winters - where I live now it is often -30 in the winter. Well, my other option is to buy something super cheap in MB or SK and stay inside for 6 or 7 months of the year - but I really don't want to have to do that, and I would still rather live somewhere that I can work year round.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:18 AM

1 posts, read 11,754 times
hi wendy, im kristen and i posted you a longer letter about victoria etc...but not sure if it went through?...pleeeez e-mail me at my regular e-mail [EMAIL="kris10nicole@msn.com"]kris10nicole@msn.com[/EMAIL] (only because i don't know how to use this site)
i am a mom, a regular gal....but wanting to move to victoria (i am canadian by birth, but have been in the u.s. for 32 of my 37 years)
anyway, i saw your post (i know its older) but thot id see how you are doing anyway....you never know...mabye two people with a common goal might "help " eachother?
(did i mention im Totally normal...HA HA!)...oh and im leaving my BF of 15 years....
i guess im scared, feel a smidge alone in this quest....Goofy for sure, it would be fun to talk to you!
hope to hear from you...(if you do respond ..i hope you will send it to my e-mail, or ill never get it probably) thanx!
kristen

Old 01-17-2010, 11:04 AM

48 posts, read 196,483 times
kris101 and Wendy11 I have lived in Victoria for 10 years. I am currently in the US as a grad student but will be returning to Victoria in May. If you want any advice, etc. feel free to message me.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:32 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,234,188 times
I lived on Vancouver Island for 4 years (Victoria and Sidney) and while it is beautiful, it is definately not for everyone. The constant grey skies and rain were way too depressing for me, and that went on for WAY too long! The summers seemed too cold for the most part, occasionaly we would get a hot spell but it was never enough for my taste. I guess it all depends on what you like, for some 68f is warm enough in the summer, for me it's way too cold.

The beauty there is incredible but there is lots of moldy, mildewy, mossy stuff everywhere, I even has mold that grew in my window tracks that I had to clean out with bleach.

Many of my firends love it there but I could never go back to live, not for anything.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:59 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy11 View Post
........Also would be interested in info. about Hope or Cache Creek which are quite inexpensive to live in. Or even Terrace? Any jobs in Terrace where you wouldn't need to be on your feet all day or do heavy lifting?

Naniamo doesn't sound too expensive, and I like what I've heard about it.

....... I have a health condition where I need to avoid cold winters - where I live now it is often -30 in the winter.
I'm a B.C. resident and have lived in a lot different locations throughout the province. I lived in Terrace for about 8 years. If you have to avoid the cold then I don't know if you'd like Terrace very much as the temps there can get to -20 or even -30 on occasion. It's much further north than Nanaimo and gets colder and more snow in the winter, also gets more rain in autumn and spring and has rather shorter daylight hours in the winter and longer daylight hours in the summer than s.w. British Columbia does. It has 4 very distinct seasons. The main industries up there are logging, sawmills and mining. It's kind of wild and wooly and rough up there, but very beautiful, lots of gorgeous lakes, rivers, mountains, wildlife (and mosquitoes, blackflies and noseeums). The two closest large towns (not really very large) are Kitimat (about an hour's drive away) and Prince Rupert (about an hour and half to two hours drive away), both those towns are coastal towns. Of the 3 towns up there Kitimat has more amenities since it's a company town. All 3 towns are much, much smaller than Nanaimo with less job opportunities.

Hope is an even smaller town near the mouth of the Fraser Canyon, it's in the shadow of tall mountains, gets very chilly and damp in the winter (by B.C. lower mainland standards) because it's in pretty much perpetual shadow in the winter. Cache Creek is further up in the Fraser Canyon and the environment there is desert. Very hot dry summers and cold crisp windy winters, desert type plants, trees, sagebrush.

If you want warmth and better job opportunities then Nanaimo will probably be more suitable for you. It's a much, much bigger town than any of the others and would also offer you more social and recreational opportunities/activities.

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-18-2010 at 04:22 AM..

Old 02-20-2011, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 10,241 times
as shortly and as simply put into question...which city is cheaper and better for living vancouver or victoria? please help we are a new family moving in to canada from isreal and cant just stand the cold

Old 02-21-2011, 04:52 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,234,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juhel View Post
as shortly and as simply put into question...which city is cheaper and better for living vancouver or victoria? please help we are a new family moving in to canada from isreal and cant just stand the cold
Victoria is cheaper and Vancouver could be better for living as you put it depending on what your idea of living is. Vancouver will have more immenities etc and you don't have to spend clsoe to a day and $100 getting off the island. Both places are on the cold side for me but have mild winters compared to the rest of Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada