Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:12 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen the CIC advert on youtube to announce the changes to Canadian citizenship laws?

YouTube - Waking up Canadian

It starts with the fellow having a boring night and right at 12:01am on 17 April everthing is bright and he is surrounded by Canadian symbols as he is waking up a Canadian citizen. The law is changing to allow Canadian citizenship to children born overseas to a parent who was a native born Canadian or a Canadian citizen at their birth. From what I read this can impact thousands of current American citizens...

clever ad.. I love the fact he is eating poutine at the end.. yum..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 06:02 PM

26 posts, read 112,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
The law is changing to allow Canadian citizenship to children born overseas to a parent who was a native born Canadian or a Canadian citizen at their birth. From what I read this can impact thousands of current American citizens...
The ad is a crock.

What the law really does is *restrict* Canadian citizenship status. As of today, anyone born *outside* of Canada who obtains their citizenship directly through their Canadian parents will *not* be able to bestow that citizenship on their offspring.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist View Post
The ad is a crock.

What the law really does is *restrict* Canadian citizenship status. As of today, anyone born *outside* of Canada who obtains their citizenship directly through their Canadian parents will *not* be able to bestow that citizenship on their offspring.
unless the offspring was born in Canada.. but if they are born outside Canada.. no luck for them!

Old 04-18-2009, 11:01 AM

577 posts, read 1,476,130 times
No, no, not true. The (old) and (new) law is more complex in regards to a child born outside Canda. The situation is more simple with 1st generation born outside and more complex with 2nd gen.

In any case, the previous remark that the new rule is in fact taking off some of our rights - is true. But the "carrot" shown is the fact that 1st generation born outside no longer has to explicitly ask for their citizenship status to be restored (a request that had to be done no later than the age of 28). Those kids will become under the new law automatically citizens (the only thing to be asked is just a born-abroad birth certificate).

But except this advantage, everything else is more limiting under the new law. A trick (anything after 1st generation born outside canada will no longer be citizenship and will have to apply for immigration - possibly under the "Family sponsorship" program. They will have a slight advantage though - as soon as they become permanent resident, they can immediatly apply for citizenship instead of waiting for at least 3 more years).

Old 04-18-2009, 12:10 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,920 times
What is poutine? thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Has anyone seen the CIC advert on youtube to announce the changes to Canadian citizenship laws?

YouTube - Waking up Canadian

It starts with the fellow having a boring night and right at 12:01am on 17 April everthing is bright and he is surrounded by Canadian symbols as he is waking up a Canadian citizen. The law is changing to allow Canadian citizenship to children born overseas to a parent who was a native born Canadian or a Canadian citizen at their birth. From what I read this can impact thousands of current American citizens...

clever ad.. I love the fact he is eating poutine at the end.. yum..

Old 04-18-2009, 04:15 PM

577 posts, read 1,476,130 times
Poutine is Quebec-specific greasy, high-colesterol food, made of fried potatoes and generous cheese topping. One could consider it junk food.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:40 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Poutine is Quebec-specific greasy, high-colesterol food, made of fried potatoes and generous cheese topping. One could consider it junk food.
LOL! Now that's an understatement! More like Heart Attack On A Plate! But if you're watching your waistline, just have the fries without the gravy and cheese curds Quebec fries are the best.

I liked the ad with all the little Canadianisms everywhere - the litre jug of maple syrup on the clock radio, the Quebec wood carving, the toque on the chair, the skates hanging off the bedpost, the maple-leaf shaped sugar cookies, the Canadian flag on the backpack, etc. What's the trophy for? Curling? Cute ad. Well done.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:15 AM

26 posts, read 112,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
LOL! Now that's an understatement! More like Heart Attack On A Plate! But if you're watching your waistline, just have the fries without the gravy and cheese curds Quebec fries are the best.

I liked the ad with all the little Canadianisms everywhere - the litre jug of maple syrup on the clock radio, the Quebec wood carving, the toque on the chair, the skates hanging off the bedpost, the maple-leaf shaped sugar cookies, the Canadian flag on the backpack, etc. What's the trophy for? Curling? Cute ad. Well done.
The minor elements of Canadian cuteness only underline the Big Lie inherent in the campaign.

My (offshore-born) infant daughter has become a 2nd-class citizen without notice, unable to pass on her Canadian birthright regardless of how long she may spend in this once-great country, despite being a 5th-generation Canadian herself.

An utterly despicable law.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist View Post
The minor elements of Canadian cuteness only underline the Big Lie inherent in the campaign.

My (offshore-born) infant daughter has become a 2nd-class citizen without notice, unable to pass on her Canadian birthright regardless of how long she may spend in this once-great country, despite being a 5th-generation Canadian herself.

An utterly despicable law.
Perhaps enough people who are negatively impacted will start a lawsuit, from what I read this is how the change was made in the first place.. Canadians living overseas who were unahppy at the loss of their birth right.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:29 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,822,511 times
I wish I could wake up Canadian...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada