Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:57 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,524,961 times

Advertisements

I was raised in a small town, I loved it. I lived in Montreal for 6 years, I loved it. I lived briefly in Ontario, I loved it.

Been in Quebec city for 4 years now and I truly hate living here for so many reasons, it would take days to list. I expected I would grow to like it, because most people eventually adapt, but it cannot be done. Sometimes when you travel, it makes you appreciate where you live, but everytime I travel, I come back even more depressed.

I'm thinking about moving. But I'd like to leave Quebec altogether and try the rest of Canada. Since I work in IT, my choices are restricted to urban areas.

So between Toronto, Hamilton, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver...which do you think is best? Which has the best public transit, is most family friendly, has the best schools, best IT sector...? Did you live there? What did you like about it?

I need ideas. Let's hear them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 07:55 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,841 times
How about London, Ontario? I hear the RIM boys dabble in a little IT down there?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:30 PM

99 posts, read 375,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
I was raised in a small town, I loved it. I lived in Montreal for 6 years, I loved it. I lived briefly in Ontario, I loved it.

Been in Quebec city for 4 years now and I truly hate living here for so many reasons, it would take days to list. I expected I would grow to like it, because most people eventually adapt, but it cannot be done. Sometimes when you travel, it makes you appreciate where you live, but everytime I travel, I come back even more depressed.

I'm thinking about moving. But I'd like to leave Quebec altogether and try the rest of Canada. Since I work in IT, my choices are restricted to urban areas.

So between Toronto, Hamilton, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver...which do you think is best? Which has the best public transit, is most family friendly, has the best schools, best IT sector...? Did you live there? What did you like about it?

I need ideas. Let's hear them.

As someone who is interested in traveling to, and maybe someday living in Quebec, I'd like to hear your reasons for disliking Quebec City.

I'm not being judgmental at all, but I'm genuinely curious as to your impressions of Quebec City.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristan View Post
As someone who is interested in traveling to, and maybe someday living in Quebec, I'd like to hear your reasons for disliking Quebec City.

I'm not being judgmental at all, but I'm genuinely curious as to your impressions of Quebec City.
Well, for the pros, it's a nice picturesque place with pretty decent quality of life (low crime, no traffic, cheap housing, good job market). I will admit that women here are pretty hot...if you're single, that's a big plus.

As for the cons, I'd say it's the people. People are close-minded, insecure, uninformed (most of them speak no english and have little knowledge of what's happening outside Quebec), boring and uninteresting. Most of the jobs here are government jobs so you can imagine what type of people you'd be dealing with. I do, every day, and it's just bad. Apart from people, I would add that public transit is awful and the weather is brutal. I could go on forever about why I can't stand this place but that's the most part.

I would say that most people love Quebec City. And I can understand why they would do. It has all the advantage of the suburbs in a decent size city.

But I don't care about this 'comfort' when I feel like I'm surrounded by so many bland willfully ignorant people. This might sound harsh but I can't bring myself to have another opinion and believe me, I've tried.

Like I said, most people like it, but I don't. Most feel like it is the perfect place to settle, but I just suffocate here. Reminds me of the movie Pleasantville.

To each his own. Hope your plans work out.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:42 AM

195 posts, read 672,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
How about London, Ontario? I hear the RIM boys dabble in a little IT down there?

We're in Waterloo, not London ;-)

I wouldn't recommend living here in Kitchener-Waterloo to my worst enemy unless you like old German people and have no desire for nightlife.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:46 AM

195 posts, read 672,815 times
Quote:
Well, for the pros, it's a nice picturesque place with pretty decent quality of life (low crime, no traffic, cheap housing, good job market). I will admit that women here are pretty hot...if you're single, that's a big plus.

As for the cons, I'd say it's the people. People are close-minded, insecure, uninformed (most of them speak no english and have little knowledge of what's happening outside Quebec), boring and uninteresting. Most of the jobs here are government jobs so you can imagine what type of people you'd be dealing with. I do, every day, and it's just bad. Apart from people, I would add that public transit is awful and the weather is brutal. I could go on forever about why I can't stand this place but that's the most part.

I would say that most people love Quebec City. And I can understand why they would do. It has all the advantage of the suburbs in a decent size city.

But I don't care about this 'comfort' when I feel like I'm surrounded by so many bland willfully ignorant people. This might sound harsh but I can't bring myself to have another opinion and believe me, I've tried.

Like I said, most people like it, but I don't. Most feel like it is the perfect place to settle, but I just suffocate here. Reminds me of the movie Pleasantville.

I lived in Quebec City and did not like it either -- I found the people to be very closed-minded, xenophobic (even towards fellow quebecois...I'm from Montreal and speak French as one of my 1st languages) and rude -- the old city is aesthetically pleasing but tourists don't experience the rest of the city beyond the ramparts and the Grande Allee -- St Foy is a 70s looking hellhole, Universite Laval has the ugliest campus I have laid eyes on (well, University of Waterloo competes -- want to see a nice campus? Check out McGill or my other alma mater University of Virginia)

For the excitement you are looking for Canada offers truly only three solid options - Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal

Old 04-27-2010, 07:53 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
I think that in many (and perhaps most) places in Canada, you will find that people are closed-minded, insecure, uninformed (most of them speak english only and have little knowledge of what's happening outside English-speaking North America), boring and uninteresting. You will find that public transit is awful and the weather is brutal.

But many places in Canada do have all the advantages of the suburbs in a decent sized city.

You will have 'comfort' but will also feel like you are surrounded by so many bland willfully ignorant people.

Most people may feel like the average Canadian city is the perfect place to settle, but you may just suffocate there. It will remind you of the movie Pleasantville.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:02 AM

99 posts, read 375,474 times
Quote:

Basically, you're describing the planet Earth. I've lived here for a while

But seriously, all kidding aside, I appreciate your reply.

I guess I'll have to check it out for myself, and see if I have the same response or see if I respond differently to the area and the people.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think that in many (and perhaps most) places in Canada, you will find that people are closed-minded, insecure, uninformed (most of them speak english only and have little knowledge of what's happening outside English-speaking North America), boring and uninteresting. You will find that public transit is awful and the weather is brutal.

But many places in Canada do have all the advantages of the suburbs in a decent sized city.

You will have 'comfort' but will also feel like you are surrounded by so many bland willfully ignorant people.

Most people may feel like the average Canadian city is the perfect place to settle, but you may just suffocate there. It will remind you of the movie Pleasantville.

Um, no, sorry...I've been elsewhere and I've lived elsewhere and the people weren't nearly as bad as they are here.

I noticed in other posts you live or have lived in Quebec city and liked it. And I know the people of Quebec city are VERY sensible about their city...like if you don't say it's marvellous and perfect and the best place in the world, they throw a fit and become agressive.

The reason why I wrote this in an english forum is to avoid these people. So please don't come here to argue with my opinion, it won't change.

Answer the question or leave.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristan View Post
Basically, you're describing the planet Earth. I've lived here for a while
I know what you mean. I don't think elsewhere is perfect. But from my own experience, it's certainly better.

Not working with civil servants would already be a huge upgrade and despite what that other guy said, it's not everywhere in Canada that jobs are almost only governments jobs.

So between, Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton, Vancouver, Hamilton...etc...which has the most booming IT sector?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada