Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 08:56 AM

47 posts, read 285,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_eh_ND View Post
No audit PLEASE!!! I don't need the headache!!! I do have property in Canada and work there as well. That's why I pay the taxes and am still able to use my health care. We live on a border town so Canada is only a 2-3 mile drive north. It's only for a little while longer though...then I will FINALLY be rid of Canadian taxes!!! No worries...I'm not doing anything illegal. I can't anyways since my husband is a Fed. Officer...would kinda make him look bad and possibly lose his job.
Oh, no. Sorry. I wasn't implying that you were doing anything illegal. Nor was I concerned. I just honestly wanted to know why you were still paying Canuck taxes since you live outside Canada. Coz most people, that I know of, that moved out of Canada did so because of the taxes. Thanks for clarifying that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 09:22 AM

322 posts, read 1,234,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crikey View Post
Oh, no. Sorry. I wasn't implying that you were doing anything illegal. Nor was I concerned. I just honestly wanted to know why you were still paying Canuck taxes since you live outside Canada. Coz most people, that I know of, that moved out of Canada did so because of the taxes. Thanks for clarifying that.
No prob!! I love my job but there isn't any kind of opening in the same field where we live now so I'm waiting........I'll be leaving my Canadian job shortly and selling everything off...SO.....GOOD RIDDENS CANADIAN TAXES!!! At least I get my GST back though if I buy anything in Canada.....except....now they have this new rule (they seem to make them up as they go along since it's different everytime I cross), your receipts have to total $200 CDN, but when my husband went into the duty free to get his GST back they told him $100 and the other day they told me again $150??? What's up with that?? Milking people for more money??

Old 04-19-2007, 09:36 AM

47 posts, read 285,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_eh_ND View Post
No prob!! I love my job but there isn't any kind of opening in the same field where we live now so I'm waiting........I'll be leaving my Canadian job shortly and selling everything off...SO.....GOOD RIDDENS CANADIAN TAXES!!! At least I get my GST back though if I buy anything in Canada.....except....now they have this new rule (they seem to make them up as they go along since it's different everytime I cross), your receipts have to total $200 CDN, but when my husband went into the duty free to get his GST back they told him $100 and the other day they told me again $150??? What's up with that?? Milking people for more money??
You still get your GST back? Changes to GST/HST Visitor Rebate Program (broken link) seems to say they won't give it back.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:48 AM

322 posts, read 1,234,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crikey View Post
You still get your GST back? Changes to GST/HST Visitor Rebate Program (broken link) seems to say they won't give it back.
Yes. Because I live in the US, if I buy something in Canada (up to the minimum of whatever they decide it's gonna be that day) then I stop in at the Duty Free and I get my taxes back....Oops...I meant PST....My mistake....Not GST...PST... sorry for the confusion!!!

Old 05-03-2007, 09:48 PM

6 posts, read 18,653 times
We just finished our first year as new Canadians and paid our U.S. and Canadian taxes.

The study by the Fraser Institute represented situation that is not average, i.e., a family in the study is at the extreme end of taxation due to a variety of variables that would not apply to many families.

We did a analysis of our Canadian taxes (income, B.C. Health Care Premium, PST/GST, certain taxes on our Hydro bill) and we are paying less in Canada then we would pay in the U.S. living in a state like Vermont, Oregon, or Maine (states with income taxes).

Albeit we do not own a car, property, a television, or cell phone so we do not pay taxes associated with ownership of such assets. Of course, we pay property taxes in our rent but the rent we pay in Vancouver is what we would pay in say Portland Oregon for a same or similar property or any large even in some cases middle size city in the U.S. Our Hydro bill is about $17.00 a month. In New Hampshire it would be $60-70 a month U.S not including heat, as one example. One prescription I take costs $24.00 (Canadian) for a 90 day supply. In the U.S. with a prescription drug plan that same medication cost us $150.00 (U.S. dollars) for a 90 day supply.

We required the professional services of a Chartered Accountant to complete our Canadian taxes. Our U.S. taxes were quite simple compared to the Canadian effort. Our U.S. CPA charged us $100.00 (U.S.) more than our Canadian accountant. It would be too much to offer our entire analysis but Canadian taxes, to us, are much more reasonable for the services provided than you would pay in Europe having lived there. Our only problem is how Mr. Harper is now using them to buy military hardware but that is off subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada