Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 04:40 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
Yes, I've heard the same thing about how hard it is to get a job in Canada unless you have that ephemeral "Canadian Job Experience" none of us newcomers will have. I have yet to get a sense of how serious this problem is. I know some of the PhD-Taxi syndrome has to do with folks unable to get their credentials recognized by Canada, but I've also read Canada is working hard to ameliorate that problem.

I wonder if Canadians here can comment on the "Canadian Job Experience" issue?
I may get beat over the head with a beaver tail here, but I think a lot of the time in Canada, getting a (plum) job has far too much to do with who you know, as opposed to what you know. Networking is huge in Canada and if you are new to a country (province, city) your network is small and you typically know no one. So right from the get-go, your opportunities are limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 06:20 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I was thinking along those lines some years ago.

Thing is when its comes to immigration, it seems its easier for Canadians to move to the US and get relatively good jobs than the other way around.

I met many young EU guys with Master's and PhD's who were serving me my dinner and cleaning my room.

It looked to me that if one doesn't have Canadian education and work experience its hard to get a job that matches what one had in their home country.

I don't blame Canadians, as that's probably the best deterrent against letting in any riff raff. Still with the way things are going in the US many people with PhD's are driving cabs anyways. Might as well consider giving it a shot.

Apologies if anyone was offended. Its just that I'm so used to teasing my British and Canadian friends that the term just came out naturally, but with no ill intent. I'll use Canadian from now on.
I've never met a Canadian who would be offended at being called a Canuk. That isn't to say that maybe there are some. Perhaps some Quebecois might not like it but I really don't know.

There are millions of Americans who are greatly offended at being called Yankee and for good reason. If you are a southerner than you are not a Yankee and it's possible you don't even like Yankees. Just for fun while travelling around the USA I asked people what they thought about it. In Savanna they asked me if I had some kind of death wish or something? In
Little Rock they asked me if I was just stupid or what? Those people are not Yankees, never have been and never want to be.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:58 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I've never met a Canadian who would be offended at being called a Canuk. That isn't to say that maybe there are some. Perhaps some Quebecois might not like it but I really don't know.
In Quebec the word Canuck isn't really used to identify Canadians anyway. If asked, most people would say it is the nickname of Vancouver's hockey team.

Now, if you go into New England where the are many Franco-Americans that are descendants of people from Quebec, they might be offended by the word Canuck as in this region it is often a racial slur similar to calling Italians ''wops''.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:

There are millions of Americans who are greatly offended at being called Yankee and for good reason. If you are a southerner than you are not a Yankee and it's possible you don't even like Yankees. Just for fun while travelling around the USA I asked people what they thought about it. In Savanna they asked me if I had some kind of death wish or something? In
Little Rock they asked me if I was just stupid or what? Those people are not Yankees, never have been and never want to be.

You've probably never met a Canadian who made an issue of being called a canuck however if you really want to see what some think start throwing the word around at a bar late Friday or Saturday night
Usually when i hear some American referring to Canadians as canucks in most cases i look at the person as a self absorbed ignorant slob who fails to grasp the concept of polite and courteous behavior, calling some one a canuck is fine in some loose informal circumstances but to label all Canadians in general conversation as canucks is showing lack of respect to our culture and country. Its kinda like using any slang term to describe peoples from another race or country,its not a polite way to start off a dialogue with said peoples and is usually totally unnecessary..

Old 10-14-2011, 10:45 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
Quote:
I've had a good friend for many years who is from Quebec.

He did not mind me calling him a Canuck.

In fact he would laugh when I called him that.

Though I'll take the threads' suggestions into consideration when dealing with Canadians in the future.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:47 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I've had a good friend for many years who is from Quebec.

He did not mind me calling him a Canuck.

In fact he would laugh when I called him that.

Though I'll take the threads' suggestions into consideration when dealing with Canadians in the future.
I call myself a canuck when I speak to anglophones. And I say which city I'm from when I talk to fellow Quebecers.

I rarely mention that I'm french-canadian except when people point out my mistakes in english.

Otherwise, my passport says "Canadien" so I'm a canuck. Simple. Your typical quebecers who constantly brings up he is FRENCH-canadian is just trying to sound different and 'exotic' to those he's talking to. I know my fellow french-canadian friends and much of their pride comes from NOT being Canadian, just like a lot of canucks pride themselves in not being american, which is the weakest form of pride you can imagine.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
In case any one is wondering, take your pick eh!

Urban Dictionary: canuck

Old 10-15-2011, 10:27 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
I call myself a canuck when I speak to anglophones. And I say which city I'm from when I talk to fellow Quebecers.

I rarely mention that I'm french-canadian except when people point out my mistakes in english.

Otherwise, my passport says "Canadien" so I'm a canuck. Simple. Your typical quebecers who constantly brings up he is FRENCH-canadian is just trying to sound different and 'exotic' to those he's talking to. I know my fellow french-canadian friends and much of their pride comes from NOT being Canadian, just like a lot of canucks pride themselves in not being american, which is the weakest form of pride you can imagine.
I have had some interesting discussions discussions about Canada with my French Canadian friends.

I think Francophone and Native Canadians might have a very different view of Canadian society than those that are part of the Anglophone majority.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:52 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I miss Canada, I can't lie! Half of my family is from there and I love the people.
However, when my husband and I tried going to Alberta this past September, he was denied entry due to a misdeameanor of the 3rd degree he pleaded guilty to 7 years ago in COLORADO! According to Canadian law that kind of "crime" is a felony and you can spend up to 10 yrs in jail for it.

My jaw dropped so now unless we can clear his record here, he will unable to visit Canada and meet my relatives.

Needless to say I was shocked and disappointed...Now he just dispises Canada and I think it's funny because the trouble he got in was HIS fault. I was unaware that it'd affect him to the point where he would be denied entry. Yikes
There are professional sports teams in Canada (i.e. Toronto Blue Jays in and minor league teams in baseball, Toronto Raptors in the NBA, seven NHL teams and numerous minor league hockey teams), and the Buffalo Bills play one game a season in Toronto. Many professional athletes have been convicted of misdemeanors, some convicted of felonies. So how do these athletes get into Canada when their team plays in Canada?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:00 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
So how do these athletes get into Canada when their team plays in Canada?
They're paying Canadian taxes for income earned in Canada. Money talks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada