Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 04:26 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Speaking against the Queen is also forbidden there
???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 04:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
It is not against the law to insult the Queen of England - that's horse crap. And I don't know what he means when he says that we can "nicely" criticize the government, because our very free press very often criticizes the government without pulling any punches, and our right to freedom of assembly allows us to protest just as forcefully as in the US.
Lol! I guess he hasn't seen how MPs behave in Parliament.

Seriously; it's one of the silliest things I've ever seen. I'm going to have to copy it down on birch bark, hitch up the dog sled and show it to my buddies at the trading post. They'll get a kick out of it.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 04-13-2013 at 05:09 PM..

Old 04-13-2013, 05:43 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,823 times
^^^^^yeah, for real. Americans would be absolutely shocked by a typical session of parliament when compared to the decorum and good manners of the House and Senate. One time when I was watching parliament on a priated signal in my igloo hiding from the cops (cause of the illegal signal), Jim Baird said something so offensive to Thomas Mulcair that I spilled maple syrup all over my parka and was like "damn, eh, that was pretty harsh there Jimmy."

Old 04-13-2013, 05:50 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
I agree with everything you said about Tim's except for the coffee! well you are mostly right about that but I know a few Tim's where the coffee is always fresh and good! The problem with Tim's is that the vast majority of outlets the quality of the coffee is inconsistent! It just doesn't have a consistent quality that other franchises have...oddly enough I was in Buffalo recently and had Tim's at a number of outlets down their and in every one of them the quality was consistent and superior to most up here!

As for the food -all horrid I mean terrible - bland and tasteless... especially anything with 'chicken' or small white blobs of white matter resembling chicken.

The only thing that i kind of liked was their caramel bagel and it isn't even on the menu anymore...

Btw Tim's is Cdn owned again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Tim Horton's donuts are crappy in Canada too - that's what happens when you use frozen dough. So is their coffee (gasp ), and just about all the other crap they sell as "food". To be honest, I think most Canadians in the cities patronize Tim's only because it's fast, convenient, and cheap. Outside the city, it's often one of only a few options. For a quick coffee, I personally think the new McDonald's McCafe is much better than what they serve at Tim's. It wasn't that long ago that Tim Horton's was just one of many coffee and donut shops. It's only within the last ten or fifteen years that it's become this national icon (of course, it's not even Canadian-owned anymore, but who cares), largely because of the success of their Roll Up the Rim contest that no one ever seems to win.
I friggin hate living in the suburbs, having to choose between Tim's, or McDonald's or Starbucks for coffee, and not ever being able to eat a donut because I won't touch that frozen crap they peddle at Tim's. Then when I'm in the city I'm suddenly in coffee and donut paradise, surrounded by independent coffee shops that make amazing brewed coffee (I always buy beans by the pound now in the city to use in my French press at home so I don't have to endure Tim's), and bakeries with soft donuts just out of the frier, usually sprinkled with sugar, but also available in other varieties if you know where to go

So now that I've said these things, I'll sit and wait for the police or CSIS to come and arrest me for treason or sedition or something.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:05 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Headquarters are back in Canada now but as a public company with very dispersed ownership (and traded on both the TSX and the NYSE) it'd be pretty darn tough to show that its ownership is Canadian (or not).

Old 04-13-2013, 10:27 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
???
See section 49 of the Criminal Code. What cannot be done is "alarming" the Queen, or doing an act that will cause her bodily harm, or intending to do such an act.

But insulting, or speaking against, the Queen? Have at her; your expression is protected by section 2(b) of the Charter.

Seriously, that post by KevK was so full of wrong, it's hard to know where to begin. He might be surprised to know, for example, that some of the US Constitutional rights he holds so dear (y'know, like habeas corpus), first appeared in the Magna Carta. And that "American law," as he puts it, is based on the system of "English common law," which Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, etc. use also. A common law system is different from the "civil law" systems used in France, Germany, and others; but the fact remains that the common law philosophy of "like decides like," or stare decisis, was neither an American invention, nor is it uniquely American.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go get some whale blubber with which to light the lamps. There's a Tim's on the way; I'll get a large double-double.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:32 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Headquarters are back in Canada now but as a public company with very dispersed ownership (and traded on both the TSX and the NYSE) it'd be pretty darn tough to show that its ownership is Canadian (or not).

Old 04-14-2013, 05:17 AM

477 posts, read 803,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Tim Horton's donuts are crappy in Canada too - that's what happens when you use frozen dough. So is their coffee (gasp ), and just about all the other crap they sell as "food". To be honest, I think most Canadians in the cities patronize Tim's only because it's fast, convenient, and cheap. Outside the city, it's often one of only a few options. For a quick coffee, I personally think the new McDonald's McCafe is much better than what they serve at Tim's. It wasn't that long ago that Tim Horton's was just one of many coffee and donut shops. It's only within the last ten or fifteen years that it's become this national icon (of course, it's not even Canadian-owned anymore, but who cares), largely because of the success of their Roll Up the Rim contest that no one ever seems to win.
I friggin hate living in the suburbs, having to choose between Tim's, or McDonald's or Starbucks for coffee, and not ever being able to eat a donut because I won't touch that frozen crap they peddle at Tim's. Then when I'm in the city I'm suddenly in coffee and donut paradise, surrounded by independent coffee shops that make amazing brewed coffee (I always buy beans by the pound now in the city to use in my French press at home so I don't have to endure Tim's), and bakeries with soft donuts just out of the frier, usually sprinkled with sugar, but also available in other varieties if you know where to go

So now that I've said these things, I'll sit and wait for the police or CSIS to come and arrest me for treason or sedition or something.
I agree about the crappy Tim's donuts.
They've never been the same since they "downsized" them about 10 years ago.
Also agree about McDonald's McCafe being better.
And they even give it away free for few days a couple of times a year

I notice that there always seems to be a long line up at Tim's drive thru,
I think it's because they put something in coffee, if you know what I mean

Oh yeah, and that roll up the rim to win....what a joke,
the contest that no one seems to win,
I'm lucky if I win a free donut! Mostly it's "Please try again".

Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Seriously, that post by KevK was so full of wrong, it's hard to know where to begin. He might be surprised to know, for example, that some of the US Constitutional rights he holds so dear (y'know, like habeas corpus), first appeared in the Magna Carta. And that "American law," as he puts it, is based on the system of "English common law," which Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, etc. use also. A common law system is different from the "civil law" systems used in France, Germany, and others; but the fact remains that the common law philosophy of "like decides like," or stare decisis, was neither an American invention, nor is it uniquely American.
Interestingly, one of those others is our very own province of Quebec. The British allowed the original province of Quebec to maintain civil law for non-criminal matters prior to the American revolution, and so even after the advent of Loyalists, Upper and Lower Canada and then Confederation, to this day non-criminal law is still based off of the civil law.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:15 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I agree with everything you said about Tim's except for the coffee! well you are mostly right about that but I know a few Tim's where the coffee is always fresh and good! The problem with Tim's is that the vast majority of outlets the quality of the coffee is inconsistent! It just doesn't have a consistent quality that other franchises have...oddly enough I was in Buffalo recently and had Tim's at a number of outlets down their and in every one of them the quality was consistent and superior to most up here!

As for the food -all horrid I mean terrible - bland and tasteless... especially anything with 'chicken' or small white blobs of white matter resembling chicken.

The only thing that i kind of liked was their caramel bagel and it isn't even on the menu anymore...

There's a Tim's near me that does have very consistent, fresh coffee. It's actually not that bad. I was exaggerating. I just don't understand why everyone likes it SO much. Have you ever walked by a Tim's in the downtown during the morning rush? Lines spilling out on to the sidewalk. Here in the burbs there are always arguments breaking out in the drive-through line, people screaming at each other, horns honking - haven't seen a fist fight yet, but I'm sure I will eventually.

Whoa, what as that? Oh damn. Friggin muskox always trying to get in my place. I'll have to call the Mounties. Better hide my satellite. I'd take care of the problem myself, but have you ever seen a muskox? They're huge. Now if only the Canadian government allowed me to own a gun...well for one thing, my wife wouldn't have been killed by that roving pack of wolves. Sigh. The trials of life in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada