Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 06:10 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,856,245 times

Advertisements

Couldn't care less as having my holiday in October does not interfere with anything at all. It's also nice to have somewhat of a holiday/break in October, as opposed to having to wait another month and a half just to have Christmas break a couple weeks later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 08:31 PM

400 posts, read 469,299 times
I think that our Canadian thanksgiving is perfectly timed with our other holidays throughout the year, and agree with other posters that because of xmas holidays in dec. doesn't really feel the necessity of a holiday in November.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:38 AM

157 posts, read 574,594 times
I'm happy that our Thanksgiving is in October because we have a shot of having nice fall weather in October, though here in southwestern Quebec, our November has been very mild this year.

If we Canucks were to have a holiday in November, I'd like to see Remembrance Day (Veterans Day) made an official holiday.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:50 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
LOL. I do understand that. Same with my family, half Canadian and half American. We have 2 Thanksgiving celebrations, that way everybody is happy.
I have gone to the US on Canadian thanksgiving to go shopping at the outlets in Niagara Falls and to meet a cousin. For US thanksgiving I have had relatives visit me in Toronto. I had a cousin from the US come up as it was her first Thanksgiving w/o her Mom who had passed away that year and it was good therapy for her; she was not reminded of this as everything was open and she spent at the mall, the movies, etc. So I'm glad to have separate months for thanksgiving.

What next, will Americans think that Canada day should be celebrated on July 4th so that it will be the same on both sides of the border?

Old 11-27-2009, 06:17 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
What next, will Americans think that Canada day should be celebrated on July 4th so that it will be the same on both sides of the border?
I doubt it. I kind of suspect the original poster (and PalmBch) was under the impression that Thanksgiving was invented in America. Maybe the OP thought Canada adopted an American custom and didn't realize that the traditional Harvest Holiday was celebrated by both American Natives and in Europe long before the first European settlers arrived in North America. The Harvest Holiday festivities have been celebrated by many cultures around the world for a few thousand years.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:45 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,603 times
I personally do not care about the meaning behind any of the holidays, I just care about the days off. So I would exchange my holidays with any country that allowed me to stay home more often.

Fortunately for my wife and I we live in Massachusetts and Columbus Day weekend falls on the same day as Canadian Thanksgiving, so we have the day off to visit our family if we choose to.

I do enjoy American thanksgiving though because you get NFL Football all day of the Thursday and an additional day off on the Friday (not federal law, but every company we have worked for gives us both days) but if Canada had Thanksgiving with a 3rd day off thrown in there I would switch places in a heart beat.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:48 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,498 times
I wouldn't like Thanksgiving any other time than October either, as it's all about the harvest, and fall and colours.

November in the pacific northwest, is the worst month of the year, cold, wet, dreary and miserable and cold most everywhere else.

If we had Thanksgiving then, it would be cold and desolate, and no harvest to be thankful for.

Also wouldn't care for it being so close to Xmas, .. two big holidays in a row seems a little to rushed for my liking.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:09 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,445,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyaugusta View Post
If we Canucks were to have a holiday in November, I'd like to see Remembrance Day (Veterans Day) made an official holiday.
Remembrance Day's a stat holiday in some provinces. Here in BC we have it off.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:10 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have often wondered if Canada would ever chnage their Thanksgiving to match ours and also get the Frida following Thanksgiving as lots of Americans do. Since many Canadians live near the USA and do business with the USA, having the holiday in October really does not make lots of sense. How do you Canadians feel about it? Would you give up Thanksgiving in October and Boxing Day (really kind of silly- who wants to buy gifts the day AFTER Christmas?) in order to have the USA Thanksgiving and Friday after off?
A lot of Americans live near the Mexican border and do business with Mexico. Do you have plans anytime soon to drop all your national holidays and match Mexican ones instead?

Old 11-27-2009, 09:18 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyaugusta View Post
It's a stat holiday in New Brunswick as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada