Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:02 PM

229 posts, read 691,489 times

Advertisements

picture this: you are a fairly low income Canadian working as a construction worker, barely able to feed your family. You fall off the roof of a house and break your back, and need surgery. At this point, being unable to work and unable to afford the surgery, in the usa you would be screwed. In Canada, you get your surgery and eventually get working again. Obviously, some Americans would dispute this, but the truth is obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 08:53 AM

136 posts, read 894,271 times
Haven't we done this topic to death?

Old 09-24-2008, 12:09 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,588,944 times
It is not that simple--fine for the low income worker to get back surgery and be able to, maybe, work in his field again (blue collar work is hard on the body) if he is lucky. However, what about that engineer who is making a good living, contributing more to the National Health Care fund, who then needs heart surgery? He has to wait--until he is an "emergency" for the bed to have the surgery. Oh, then wait some more, because, wow, that guy that fell off the roof took his OR and his bed away to have back surgery due to his emergency taking precedence over the man waiting for heart surgery. But hey, get lucky, he sits next to MP and ******* about waiting over 2 yrs to have a bed that isn't taken over by the "emergency" cases and does he have to, what?, die first???? Nope, MP makes a call and the man gets his bed.

TRUE STORY.

Free health care is great for preventative, but for real health problems, I wouldn't trust it. I know someone who flew home for a body scan (he was on PEI for work/us citizen) because his 29 year old sister in the USA got diagnosed with colon cancer. This guy sat next to a nurse, canadian, who said the girl wouldn't have been approved for the colonoscopy she had based on the fact that she didn't fit the risk based profile for colon cancer. Why waste the money?

The USA is not perfect, I know, and people need safety nets--but I don't want national health care in the US with all the bureucratic nightmares that come along with having it.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:58 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama View Post
It is not that simple--fine for the low income worker to get back surgery and be able to, maybe, work in his field again (blue collar work is hard on the body) if he is lucky. However, what about that engineer who is making a good living, contributing more to the National Health Care fund, who then needs heart surgery? He has to wait--until he is an "emergency" for the bed to have the surgery. Oh, then wait some more, because, wow, that guy that fell off the roof took his OR and his bed away to have back surgery due to his emergency taking precedence over the man waiting for heart surgery. But hey, get lucky, he sits next to MP and ******* about waiting over 2 yrs to have a bed that isn't taken over by the "emergency" cases and does he have to, what?, die first???? Nope, MP makes a call and the man gets his bed.

TRUE STORY.

Free health care is great for preventative, but for real health problems, I wouldn't trust it. I know someone who flew home for a body scan (he was on PEI for work/us citizen) because his 29 year old sister in the USA got diagnosed with colon cancer. This guy sat next to a nurse, canadian, who said the girl wouldn't have been approved for the colonoscopy she had based on the fact that she didn't fit the risk based profile for colon cancer. Why waste the money?

The USA is not perfect, I know, and people need safety nets--but I don't want national health care in the US with all the bureucratic nightmares that come along with having it.
Have you lived in Canada and experienced their health care system first hand? No offense to you...but I think most of hearsay on message boards, is trying to promote a political agenda....trying to sway opinion. We don't know how a national health care plan would work in the US, because we don't have one.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:02 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Dead horse being beaten again.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:23 PM

5 posts, read 41,032 times
ok If i lived in the Us (which i have in the past) I would have to pay for my current condition, which is rhumatoid arthritis. Today i had a bone density scan which was odered last friday. yes last friday. In the usa i would not have been able to afford to have this done. I make a mear amount at my job approx. 1500/mnth after taxes. i had to have this test in order to find out which of the 100-150$$$/month drugs I will need in order for me to continue working for my mear sum of money. I have additional health insurance on top of ohip so my drug cost will only 30-40$$ per month. seems like chump change campared to the usa bill i would have to cover. and my insurence in 13$ a month.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:15 PM

229 posts, read 691,489 times
Universal Healthcare is better for poorer people, US healthcare is better for richer people.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:42 PM

23 posts, read 170,492 times
I lived in Canada, and love Canada am from the US, and am now living in the US. I can simply say I am very satisfied paying for the US based health coverage I have in the US, even if it costs me, it is what I want and I am not complaining. Self-reliance is a principle we can all live on.

Just my two cents...not eloquence.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:39 PM

315 posts, read 1,625,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMaster View Post
Universal Healthcare is better for poorer people, US healthcare is better for richer people.
Exactly my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver_2010 View Post
I lived in Canada, and love Canada am from the US, and am now living in the US. I can simply say I am very satisfied paying for the US based health coverage I have in the US, even if it costs me, it is what I want and I am not complaining. Self-reliance is a principle we can all live on.

Just my two cents...not eloquence.
I have lived in both countries. I was much happier with the US system.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:43 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver_2010 View Post
Self-reliance is a principle we can all live on.
Except for 50 million of my fellow Americans without medical insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada