Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 6,852 times

Advertisements

Hi you all,

I have a few question regarding marrying an international student thats in Alberta.

I've read CIC's website ([url=http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp#sponsoring]Sponsoring your family: Spouses and dependent children[/url]) and i think i do qualify the Sponsor part.
Im a Canadian citizen, full time job with ability of sponsoring both of us.

He is an International student studying in canada from HongKong and his student visa expires around July,10 (although we think that he will get a renew one by then)
We are planning to marry around June, and starting to apply the PR for him by that time.

question 1) Do you think this is suspicious that CIC will reject our application?
question 2) I just need to go to CanadaPlace (Edmonton) to file all of these application right?
question 3) So there will be at least 12-18months process time... is there anyway that he can apply a temporary working visa to work part time in the mean time?
*Student working visa is not an option

thats so far question for me for now...!

THANKS VERY MUCH..!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 07:34 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,402 times
If you apply to sponsor your spouse as a PR from within Canada, CIC will ask you to provide as much documentation as possible that the relationship is genuine and not one of convenience. This can include things like pictures, trips taken together, family gatherings attended, etc. Provide as much information as possible to indicate that your relationship is genuine.

You also need to ensure that your spouse maintains a legal status in Canada while awaiting the PR decision, so be sure to apply for visa extensions well in advance.

The sponsorship and application forms require some items which may take some time to gather such as foreign country criminal record searchs, so take this into account when making your application. Be sure to fully complete all required forms and provide all requested documents before submitting your applications; incomplete applications will be returned unprocessed and you'll have to start from scratch.

I'm not sure about your reference to CanadaPlace, but why not simply mail the completed application to the clearence center in Vegreville, Alberta?

With regard to your potential spouse being able to work, your best bet is to contact CIC by telephone and ask receive an official answer. The toll-free number is available on the CIC web site on the Contact Us page.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:54 PM

11 posts, read 60,461 times
An immigration lawyer is a godsend in this situation.

He may be denied a new student visa because you are pursuing a marriage visa. Seriously at least get a consult, this is something that you shouldn't leave to internet opinions it can get really ugly!

Your question #3.. please speak to a lawyer!!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:46 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave View Post

He may be denied a new student visa because you are pursuing a marriage visa. Seriously at least get a consult, this is something that you shouldn't leave to internet opinions it can get really ugly!

Very good point.........considering Canada doesn't require a "marriage visa"

The good folks at Citizenship and Immigration Canada are more than willing to provide straight answers for all types of scenarios.......they actually believe their job is to help folks navigate through the immigration process.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:09 AM

11 posts, read 60,461 times
Ok.. A Spouse visa.
Canada Spouse Visa and Canadian Conjugal Partner Visas
I agree that Immigration Canada can be really helpful, but if you apply for that and you're in Canada on another type of visa ie: student things can get tricky.

12 years ago my ex fiance came seeking a visa based on him being my fiance, we later learned that he would have been eligible easily under specialized trades agreements but because we had applied under him being my fiance he was no longer able to apply to work under those trade agreements.

Things got so mixed up that by the time we got an immigration lawyer involved it was to the point where we could choose to marry right away or he would be deported. I'm not saying that this would happen every time but it can happen. We knew at the time another couple who had been waiting two years to be together because of fine-print in the system that they made bad choices of.

I'm just saying better to be safe then sorry.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,700 times
Hi i am a Canadian citizen and my boyfriend is here on a work permit for another 2 years... we are planning on getting married next month... Once he gets married to me , what will be his status? still an international person with work permit or something else?
i want him to go back to school as well.. how does that work? will he be an international student or local student?

Old 08-12-2016, 02:19 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
I'd advise people with immigration issues to pay a visit to your local Canada Service Center. Very helpful people who can help,give advice and initiate a variety of procedures Eg=
https://www.google.ca/search?site=&s...k1.I4-QCAWqHKc

Old 08-17-2016, 07:07 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave View Post

You don't need an immigration lawyer. Read the application form. Provide everything they ask for with all the proof. If you are both educated and provide enough proof of a valid relationship then it should not be a huge issue. Things that slow this process down is missing information. The lawyer cares about getting paid and will not spend endless time doing this right. I have done this and the person was approved and in Canada in around 6 months. If you read, write and can follow directions you do not need a lawyer. If the request gets declined then get a lawyer.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:10 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times
Default 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd advise people with immigration issues to pay a visit to your local Canada Service Center. Very helpful people who can help,give advice and initiate a variety of procedures Eg=
https://www.google.ca/search?site=&s...k1.I4-QCAWqHKc
This is a great free source of information. No need to pay for services you can get for free.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:50 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,951,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpTiger View Post
Hi you all,

I have a few question regarding marrying an international student thats in Alberta.

I've read CIC's website (Sponsoring your family: Spouses and dependent children) and i think i do qualify the Sponsor part.
Im a Canadian citizen, full time job with ability of sponsoring both of us.

He is an International student studying in canada from HongKong and his student visa expires around July,10 (although we think that he will get a renew one by then)
We are planning to marry around June, and starting to apply the PR for him by that time.

question 1) Do you think this is suspicious that CIC will reject our application?
question 2) I just need to go to CanadaPlace (Edmonton) to file all of these application right?
question 3) So there will be at least 12-18months process time... is there anyway that he can apply a temporary working visa to work part time in the mean time?
*Student working visa is not an option

thats so far question for me for now...!

THANKS VERY MUCH..!
Are you in love?

If he ditches you after getting his paperwork, is it 3, 5 years ?? that you are financially responsible for him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada