Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:16 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times

Advertisements

Stage 2A, no apparent lymph node involvement yet.

I'm aware of the prognosis, have been doing some searching as well and am not finding much encouraging news. First radiation treatment Monday; apparently not a candidate for surgery (because of where the tumor is, I believe)...I want to be as supportive as possible (this is an IRL friend), does anyone have any links or experience to share?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 11:45 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Not good experience. I had 2 friends some years ago who both died within 2 yrs of diagnosis. Maybe treatment has progressed since then? Sorry to be such a downer.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:11 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
It is never good with pancreatic. I had a scare where a year after chemo a ct scan showed an enlarged pancreas. After futher testing it was concluded that it was all okay.

Progress has been made, but the outcome is still not always good.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:22 AM

Thanks...as I said, I am aware that the prognosis is grim (as is my friend) although stage 2A PC is good; it's usually not caught so early.

I guess rephrasing my question a bit...what can I do to be supportive and helpful for someone who is facing a difficult cancer?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Thanks...as I said, I am aware that the prognosis is grim (as is my friend) although stage 2A PC is good; it's usually not caught so early.

I guess rephrasing my question a bit...what can I do to be supportive and helpful for someone who is facing a difficult cancer?
Listen to them. Sometimes the ear is the best thing for them. Ask them too. Also when the dust settles is another prime time to check in on them. After others have "moved on."

Here is some reading material

//www.city-data.com/forum/cance...-how-help.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/cance...-families.html

Old 02-07-2011, 06:47 AM

Thanks so much SD, this is helpful. I am glad you're doing OK, yes?

I offered to go to this morning's appt with him since I'm not working today but he said he'd be fine. Luckily he has a good job and good insurance. I worry that he does not have a good social/family support system, I think I'm the only one he's told so far. I'm encouaging him to reach out to others and talk to his onco about support groups and so on. I have little experience with cancer....a family member died of liver cancer but it was very fast, less than two weeks from diagnosis.

Some good suggestions in those threads. I'll definitely continue to listen and be there for him.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 AM

I should add... Sometimes they don't want to talk about it or want to talk about something different. That is a patients way of coping and dealing with things. Make the conversation open ended. If they don't want to talk or seem closed off they dealing with things.

Everyone copes in their own way. As long as it is not harmful to themselves or others that is okay fine.

Yes I have been declared cured and the only time I want to see my oncologist is when I am out hunting pheasants.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:07 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Thanks so much SD, this is helpful. I am glad you're doing OK, yes?

I offered to go to this morning's appt with him since I'm not working today but he said he'd be fine. Luckily he has a good job and good insurance. I worry that he does not have a good social/family support system, I think I'm the only one he's told so far. I'm encouaging him to reach out to others and talk to his onco about support groups and so on. I have little experience with cancer....a family member died of liver cancer but it was very fast, less than two weeks from diagnosis.

Some good suggestions in those threads. I'll definitely continue to listen and be there for him.
I sent you some information for PC via direct message. The 3 places I listed are supposed to be the best for PC.

the best at treating pc in this country-

Dr Fine -The Pancreas Center @ Columbia

Multidisciplinary Pancreatic Cancer Team at Johns Hopkins

Pancreatic Cancer center at MD Anderson

I also want to include this- Stand up to cancer had a pancreatic cancer grant- STAND UP TO CANCER AWARDS $73.6 MILLION FOR NOVEL, GROUNDBREAKING CANCER RESEARCH | Stand Up To Cancer

See here- Pancreatic Cancer Dream Team (Dream Team Series part 2 of 5) | Stand Up To Cancer (http://www.standup2cancer.org/node/4536 - broken link)

“Cutting off the Fuel Supply: A New Approach to the Treatment of Pancreatic Cancer” / Leaders: Craig B. Thompson, M.D., Director, Abramson Cancer Center at the University of Pennsylvania, and Daniel D. Von Hoff, M.D., Senior Investigator and Physician in Chief at the Translational Research Genomics Institute (TGen).

You can read more about it here- someone from Hopkins is on the team Link

Cutting off the fuel supply

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-07-2011 at 07:36 AM..

Old 02-07-2011, 07:34 AM

Thank you Rose, I am forwarding these to my friend!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:30 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Top US Hospitals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer