Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 12:31 PM

28 posts, read 35,820 times

Advertisements

Hey City Data. We all know the effect Cancer can have on a life. What are your favorite cancer charities to get involved with/donate to? We all like to help out, and we do it for a myriad of ways, from running in events, contributing in various charities, or just donating to a favored organization.

I’ll get the thread started.

Recently the marketing team I work for embarked on a project with Team Continuum for their Pixels of Promise campaign. Pixels of Promise, is a site that is designed to illustrate the work that Team Continuum does to help those affected by Cancer. The Pixels of Promise site really gives insight into, the athletes who participates in TC events and those who are directly affected by Team Continuum’s efforts.
For those that don’t know TC, Team Continuum is a organization that helps cancer patients focus on getting better by:

• Paying their bills for immediate non-medical expenses such as rent and
utilities

• Supporting programs at healthcare facilities

• Helping Team Continuum athletes raise funds as they participate in major endurance events

It’s a very worthy cause, and it definitely helps those whose lives have already been greatly influenced by Cancer.
Ok, I got the thread started, what are you guy’s favorite cancer charities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 01:57 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,045 times
I have metastatic breast cancer. I've rec'd help from only two organizations. Cancercare.org and the Healthwell Foundation. When I'm in a position to I will donate to these two because they help cancer patients.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:59 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,532,809 times
Here's mine.....

Debbie has a huge heart. It's a small organization that helps people locally without a million forms to fill out.
All of our excess supplies will go to her when DH is declared cancer free.

Debbies Blog

Old 09-19-2011, 01:56 PM

28 posts, read 35,820 times
Thanks for your responses guys!

Insofar as running, so many are doing their part. A great example is Don Wright, who lives in the greater Minneapolis area. Don is planning to run marathons in all 50 states. He is running despite the fact that he has had cancer for more than eight years. And despite the fact that he is 70 years old.

He's a great example of the drive to help, even when he himself is a patient.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:00 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
I'm Too Young for This! Cancer Foundation which focuses on helping young adults (15-39) with cancer. When you're a child, there are tons of charities to help you and when you are an older adult, you often have a spouse or children to help, years of savings (that yes, I know can be gone in a flash), and strong support networks.

I know for me being diagnosed at 23, I had none of the above. I had to be my own caretaker through 6 months of chemo, have seen most of my savings be wiped out (with nothing to fall back on), had to work full time through treatment, and could get very little help from either government or charity. I'm now facing a relapse (which would mean that primary treatment failed) and looking at the possibility of a stem cell transplant with NO support whatsoever. i[2]y is not a grant-giving institution itself, but connects young adults with services and offers opportunities to connect with each other so that we don't feel so alone.

70,000 young adults are diagnosed with cancer each year and we as an age group have not seen the rising survival rates that other demographics have. We still struggle to be diagnosed because doctors think we're too young and not enough research has been done on the long-term effects of treatment. While working in the community, I have had countless people tell me their doctors told them that they should, "Just be happy to be alive" when they asked about their future fertility. i[2]y works to address these issues with doctors as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer