Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 05:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
If I'm reading this correctly only 3% of men will die from prostate cancer. It's kind of like finding a starfish on the beach and throwing it back into the ocean. You may not be able to save them all, but you sure made a difference to that one. Early detection is absolutely the only hope to beat cancer. The tests we have now may not be perfect, but they are all we've got. Waiting until you have symptoms or a lump is probably too late. It was for me.
As I said before:

At What Cost?
Because of the limitations of the test, routine mass screenings just don't make sense to me. However, education about protest cancer does.

I am beginning to repeat myself here, so will probably just bow out of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 01:28 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,564,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
As I said before:

At What Cost?
What cost is the loss to a family member that is lost to something that was detectable and treatable, but not done.

Since this new healthcare has come into being, there seems to be a lot of costly tests that will be deemed unnessary.... Not good!

Old 11-14-2011, 03:45 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
As I said before:

At What Cost?
Because of the limitations of the test, routine mass screenings just don't make sense to me. However, education about protest cancer does.

I am beginning to repeat myself here, so will probably just bow out of this thread.
At what cost? PSA's are very cheap. Mammograms don't cost much either and there are many organizations that sponsor free mammograms. If it makes you feel any better I found my own lump. And now I'm terminal. I'll always wonder if I hadn't skipped that mammo in 2008 if my cancer would have been caught early enough to stop the spread. At what cost for screenings? Maybe just one human life.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:26 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
In the abstract it's easy to say 1 in 10,000. When you are the one, it's not so abstract any more. I believe in screenings. If it's my health, I'll do it.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:40 PM

863 posts, read 2,992,243 times
Without a doubt, those who have lives impacted by Prostate cancer will truly see the value in them. I don't think that is in question.

HOWEVER, the concern is that the test is NOT terribly effective at detection AND there are significant risks in follow up procedures that may or MAY not be necessary because the test does NOT rovide an accurate result. To the erronious point I keep reading, NO one is saying NOT to do the test (or wait 10 years) if you feel it is important to you.

You can read more details on the OTHER side of the issue for yourself (IF you choose.)

PSA test: Risks - MayoClinic.com

Old 11-14-2011, 09:59 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
In the abstract it's easy to say 1 in 10,000. When you are the one, it's not so abstract any more. I believe in screenings. If it's my health, I'll do it.
As often as I lock horns with you and will argue day in and day out, I heartily agree with this.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:23 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,564,539 times
Quote:
At what cost? PSA's are very cheap. Mammograms don't cost much either and there are many organizations that sponsor free mammograms. If it makes you feel any better I found my own lump. And now I'm terminal. I'll always wonder if I hadn't skipped that mammo in 2008 if my cancer would have been caught early enough to stop the spread. At what cost for screenings? Maybe just one human life.

Geeze, my heart goes out to you... I hope that maybe it will go into remission, may not be very likely, but stranger things have happened!

Yes the test may not be perfect, but not getting tested because some bean counter is on a quest to save money is just wrong...

Old 11-15-2011, 04:50 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Sorry, but I was replying to what appears to be something that is going to affect a lot of people getting tested and cured.

This is the Cancer forum, I feel that it is appropate. Hood winking people to not getting tested for any cancer with a rumor is in poor taste.
I agree and I am getting more and more nervous as I see some of these tests being discounted. I do believe that some have been over used but, how wonderful if it saves a few lives as well.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:56 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
Quote:
I want to say something helpful and I don't know what to say. You will be in my thoughts and good wishes going your way. Stay positive. My SIL, I miss her so, fought really hard and extended her time well past any prognosis. I read where your DH had been very supportive. My thoughts go out to him as well.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post

Yes the test may not be perfect, but not getting tested because some bean counter is on a quest to save money is just wrong...
::sigh::

The cost I am talking about is human as well as financial.

Those who feel the PSA has helped them, with no complications, may not care about the hospital admissions, and even mortality rates for prostate biopsies.

“There has been this huge enthusiasm for everyone getting their PSA checked, which has led to a lot of prostate biopsies that have not benefited anyone,” said James R. Johnson, an infectious diseases physician at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Minneapolis.

pdf file: Increasing Hospital Admission Rates for Urological Complications After Transrectal Ultrasound Guided Prostate Biopsy (http://download.journals.elsevierhealth.com/pdfs/journals/0022-5347/PIIS0022534709029322.pdf - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
Without a doubt, those who have lives impacted by Prostate cancer will truly see the value in them. I don't think that is in question.

HOWEVER, the concern is that the test is NOT terribly effective at detection AND there are significant risks in follow up procedures that may or MAY not be necessary because the test does NOT rovide an accurate result. To the erronious point I keep reading, NO one is saying NOT to do the test (or wait 10 years) if you feel it is important to you.

You can read more details on the OTHER side of the issue for yourself (IF you choose.)

PSA test: Risks - MayoClinic.com
Exactly.
"First, Do No Harm" comes to mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Of course.
Everyone should take charge of their health.
In terms of prostate cancer, the tricky part is:
1) Making sure you actually *are* the 1 in 10,000
2) Making sure your treatment is appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer