Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:12 AM

525 posts, read 899,469 times

Advertisements

Why is the cancer rate skyrocketing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 02:46 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Do you have data to substantiate these statements? What type of cancers. Skyrocketed from what level. What are you trying to ascertain?

Old 10-12-2011, 09:10 AM

525 posts, read 899,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Do you have data to substantiate these statements? What type of cancers. Skyrocketed from what level. What are you trying to ascertain?
It's just that down here in New Orleans a lot of my relatives are dying of cancer more than I think is the norm. Is it the water the air the food the radon, what is it that is causing all of these cancers?

Old 10-12-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
It's just that down here in New Orleans a lot of my relatives are dying of cancer more than I think is the norm. Is it the water the air the food the radon, what is it that is causing all of these cancers?
It can be environmental. It can be genetic. It can be an exposure to something. It can be something different. Are the same or similar type of cancer? What are the ages of those involved?

Old 10-12-2011, 05:52 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,647,005 times
Do all your relatives live in the same vicinity? Did you ever see the movie or hear of "Erin Brockovich"? It's a true story about the pollution of city water by a power company in California which caused various cancers among the towns people.

I would also think that after Katrina there is/or was a lot of pollution in the areas most affected. Are the cancers following Katrina or did some relatives also have cancer prior? Just a thought.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:14 PM

7,365 posts, read 5,479,265 times
I live in a high rate cancer area. This is also a blue collar factory area that used to be booming and now it isn't. Years ago factorys buried radium and other bad stuff in the ground and I think maybe this stuff got into the water. They've done clean ups of these 'hot spots' and hauled the dirt away from these old factorys but alot of people around here still get cancer. Even people who do not have family history of cancer get it.
I've had skin cancer but that is my own fault for sunbathing and going to tanning beds.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:30 AM

9 posts, read 19,378 times
Cancer rate is skyrocketing because of several reason.It can be environmental. It can be genetic.But use of tobacco is the main problem in skyrocketing of cancer rate.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful777 View Post
Cancer rate is skyrocketing because of several reason.It can be environmental. It can be genetic.But use of tobacco is the main problem in skyrocketing of cancer rate.
Oh yes, but isn't the use of tobacco going down?

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/Smoking/28378

If we were to follow your logic, then cancer cases caused by tobacco use should go down.

Last edited by SD4020; 11-01-2011 at 07:23 AM..

Old 11-01-2011, 07:55 AM

Doing some more looking National Cancer Institute a part of the National Institute of Health releases reports on trends in cancer. Here is a cursory glance at the trends.

Cancer Trends Progress Report - Trends-at-a-Glance

We are making progress in most areas. Diagnosis are falling which is a trend in the right direction.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:43 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,857 times
Oh man. Im sorry to hear all of the people with family members who have cancer. Its not a good sign at all. for myself I graduated with a BA this june, moved to boston and lived with relatives, and was going to try and settle down, get an apartment, and then have my mom move over there too. then in august, after 2 months of being in Boston, trying to settle down, doing internships to get my foot in the door, meeting people, my mom called and said she has breast cancer. so yes now im back in seattle taking care of her, she will have chemo for a year. luckily she got stage 2b, but man it killed me once i heard about it.

All i know is that many things that people eat, from cans or even fresh fruit, they have pesticides in it. beef has hormones. I have been hearing more and more friends or friends of friends that their relative or someone they know died of cancer. its getting too often that i hear about it, its scary. I dont even know what to eat sometimes, I might as well buy a big lot of land and grow my own stuff and raise my own cattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer