Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 09:39 PM

40 posts, read 147,526 times

Advertisements

My husband's biopsy for a small mole on his forearm came back positive for melanoma. We will be requesting the lab report (I am a retired nurse). I have been out of practice for a while and have googled info on this topic. It's my understanding that MOHS surgery is the best for this type of cancer. Does anyone have experience with this? Is MOHS the best way to treat this? There are other methods of excising the mole, however it seems from what I read that MOHS is most effective cure-rate wise and has least percentage of recurrence. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 05:00 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Good luck and I am hoping for some replies. I am a child of the sun and elderly so, this subject is of interest to me.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfield View Post
My husband's biopsy for a small mole on his forearm came back positive for melanoma. We will be requesting the lab report (I am a retired nurse). I have been out of practice for a while and have googled info on this topic. It's my understanding that MOHS surgery is the best for this type of cancer. Does anyone have experience with this? Is MOHS the best way to treat this? There are other methods of excising the mole, however it seems from what I read that MOHS is most effective cure-rate wise and has least percentage of recurrence. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Yes both our oldest daughter and my hubby have had 2 removed via MOHS. In all cases the moles were insitu so they hadn't spread and were considered completely safe from further problems

Old 02-21-2012, 02:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Good luck and I am hoping for some replies. I am a child of the sun and elderly so, this subject is of interest to me.
We grew up in So Ca with baby oil as our sun screen. You can imagine the number of skin cancers we have faced. it isn't fun,but only a few have been anything other than pretty much basel cellls.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:14 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
Your dermatologist ought to have a recommendation as to the next step. I had MOHS surgery 7 or 8 years ago for skin cancer on my face. None of us here is going to be able to give good advice on which procedure best deals with your husband's situation. Best wishes for a wonderful outcome!

Old 02-25-2012, 02:40 PM

37,099 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Mohs surgery is just a technique used to try to make sure that clear margins are obtained all around the tumor.

Here are its indications:

Medscape: Medscape Access

My mother in law had a superficial melanoma on the back of her hand. A plastic surgeon took off a big area of skin and did a skin graft to cover the rather large defect that was created.

Here is the NCI info on melanoma:

Melanoma Treatment (PDQ®) - National Cancer Institute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer