Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 05:46 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times

Advertisements

Indeed, lubby. A brave and wise choice. I think that I might choose that path as well...it is all so dependent on the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
We had the opposite with my dad, he opted for no treatment because he knew the side effects would be worse. We respected his decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 05:53 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
^^^ OH of course...

your situation is your situation, and not like my father's or others. It works for some like you, and not for others....different types of cancer, location of same, treatment options...and responses.

I wish you a very good recovery. We are all glad for the significant improvement of options for treatment. After working in the medical profession for 35 yrs, to see the ever-improving options offered these days-wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
I am currently being treated for metastatic breast cancer. While there is no cure for my cancer yet, there HAVE been many improvements in treatment with quality of life as the focus. I don't "endure the pain of treatment", I am embracing what is left of my life and VERY THANKFUL FOR TREATMENT.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:51 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
I don't "endure the pain of treatment", I am embracing what is left of my life and VERY THANKFUL FOR TREATMENT.
All the best to you.

I'm thankful for the treatment that my husband was able to have -- it prolonged his life for two years, and even while going through chemo he was still able to enjoy life, and was grateful for it.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
Quote:
I am currently being treated for metastatic breast cancer. While there is no cure for my cancer yet, there HAVE been many improvements in treatment with quality of life as the focus. I don't "endure the pain of treatment", I am embracing what is left of my life and VERY THANKFUL FOR TREATMENT.
You go girl ! May you live long and prosper or should it all become too much, go in peace. It's your decision and I hope all goes well for you.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:17 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I hear this or I hear that amounts to hearsay. Is there anything you can offer to substantiate your claims?
Nope. My doctor told me that we have actually taken a step back with regard to success in treating certain types of cancer and that much of the success in other cases was because of more testing leading to early detection.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:41 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,045 times
I'm sorry your Dad's treatment didn't have a better outcome greatblueheron.

I'm glad chemo gave your husband two more years ohiogirl!

Thanks Annie.

Goldengrain, I'm very interested in knowing which cancers the treatment has stepped backwards on. I'm relatively certain it's not breast cancer, maybe pancreatic? Pancreatic seems to be the least treatable. A man I know was diagnosed with metastatic pancreatic cancer around the time I had my first diagnosis in Oct 2009. He didn't last long and was miserable.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:51 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:

Goldengrain, I'm very interested in knowing which cancers the treatment has stepped backwards on. I'm relatively certain it's not breast cancer, maybe pancreatic? Pancreatic seems to be the least treatable. A man I know was diagnosed with metastatic pancreatic cancer around the time I had my first diagnosis in Oct 2009. He didn't last long and was miserable.
Sorry. I did not ask him for sources or more details. I had a friend who went with pancreatic cancer. It is usually diagnosed very late and these people have nearly (or, actually) zero chances of remission. The few who do have it and see it go into remission have it detected early, often by accident, like during an operation. Our friend had been diagnosed with diabetes initially. Of coarse, we found out later that it was the cancer.

I know that we hear stories about these medical charities, but I actually worked with a woman who worked for the American Cancer Society when she was younger and very idealistic. She was a very hard worker and at the ACS they criticized her, saying if a cure were found they would all be out of work. Really!

I would, if I were donating, give to some hospital like Sloane or Anderson and not one of these dubious charities.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
From what I heard it depends on the cancer and a person should probably get very specific information from his doctor about his chances. I have even heard that with certain cancers our failure rate seems greater than it once was.

If treatment just draws out the agony over a greater length of time, and a doctor phrased it that way, who would want it?

I guess a lot of cancer patients are, sadly, experiments.
When is enough? Everyone has to decide for him/her self. We have a good friend who has only a few days to live. She was diagnosed with ovarian cancer about 4 years ago. After several chemo treatments, a period of of remission etc, the cancer returned. Again she went the chemo route. Until a few months ago she was still teaching, she was playing bridge until last month and traveling. For her, life was worth everyday she gave it. Only recently has she decided the fight is over. Her attitude has been upbeat, she is one of those who truely believes if you are given lemons make lemonade. She also has a very strong faith in God. For her, the fight was worth it.

We had another friend who went through chemo, radiation, etc for 2 years,fighting lung cancer. He did manage to attend a family reunion a few months before he died but other than that, his life was nothing but doctor's appoitments, feeling sick most of the time and never doing anything but sit around and wait. For him, it might have been better to not fight. He was told from the beginning nothing could be done to stop the cancer,only to slow it down some.

Nita

Old 02-21-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
When is enough? Everyone has to decide for him/her self. We have a good friend who has only a few days to live. She was diagnosed with ovarian cancer about 4 years ago. After several chemo treatments, a period of of remission etc, the cancer returned. Again she went the chemo route. Until a few months ago she was still teaching, she was playing bridge until last month and traveling. For her, life was worth everyday she gave it. Only recently has she decided the fight is over. Her attitude has been upbeat, she is one of those who truely believes if you are given lemons make lemonade. She also has a very strong faith in God. For her, the fight was worth it.

....snipped...
My SIL was exactly the same way. She was diagnosed with cancer all in her pelvic area and given a year, maybe. She fought on for 3 years or better and worked up until the last 6 months. But, she made the most of her life and never gave up, ever......

Old 02-22-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
My SIL was exactly the same way. She was diagnosed with cancer all in her pelvic area and given a year, maybe. She fought on for 3 years or better and worked up until the last 6 months. But, she made the most of her life and never gave up, ever......
I miss her every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer