Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:59 AM

915 posts, read 2,128,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
If this helps - After almost a year of feeling "sick", being tested, no definitive diagnosis, it was determined only after complete collapse that I had Stage II colon cancer. My colon was resected, removing the tumor and 33% of my colon. Although it was felt that the tumor was removed in its entirety, the doctors thought that a course of prophylactic chemo would be helpful. I was put on a six month course of oral chemo. My son and his wife insisted I live with them, which I did, but it turned out to be unnecessary. I was able to help them with housework and laundry and watching the children on many days, with the exception of a few periods of fatigue.

My hair thinned, but never completely fell out. The day after my last dose of chemo in July, I returned to my own home, auditioned for a play, and appeared onstage in September. That was three years ago. I continue to have no signs of recurrence. I continue to live in my own home, do my own housework, cut my own grass, do my own grocery shopping, cooking, and walking every day. I hope this will encourage you to be optimistic about your future.

There are people equipped to help you with all facets of treatment and any obstacles. F'rinstance - my chemo medication was $1,238.00 every two weeks for six months. No way I could have paid that, although my son offered to teach extra classes to help pay for it. When my pharmacist spoke to the oncology office, I was able to get my chemo for $25.00 co-pay each round. The Cancer Society will help you get a free wig if you need one. I didn't feel the need of a support group because I had so much family support, but your oncologist more than likely has one at the facility.

Keep your chin up and accept whatever help is available. No rose garden - it won't be a day at the beach. But if you believe you can, you will.

BTW - I'm 76 y.o. And I still go to my son's house occasionally and help out with the laundry and the kids.
Sometimes I will post something and no one responds and then I think, what I posted was inappropriate or stupid, but I realize now that that is not the case, necessarily. I was very moved by your post, theatergypsy, and do want to respond to it.

There are a lot of very beautiful and brave people on this forum, and you are certainly one of them! You're an inspiration!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 01:05 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
Don't ever think your posts are stupid or inappropriate.
Post whatever you feel like posting (Following rules of course) and someone will eventually get around to responding.
I'm not usually on here everyday but every other day although I've made an effort to check everyday now.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:18 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,864 times
My dad's hair grew back after 3 months of the 1st treatment.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Another thing to cover your head are buffs. They are popular in Europe and among those who do adventure sports but not so big otherwise - Original Buff® - Buff USA (just one site... there are plenty of others to order online)
I like the one that serves as a scarf, with the tie in the back. Would that be the tubular buff?

http://www.buffusa.com/buffusa/collections/5

Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
That one shown can be worn 12 different ways according to the blurb.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:58 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
I like the one that serves as a scarf, with the tie in the back. Would that be the tubular buff?

Original Buff® - Buff USA

All buffs are basically stretchy tubes of fabric that can be stretched, folded, tied, or manipulated to look like other things.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:06 PM

Well, I'm going to try not to stress about it. If I can make it through the surgery and remain courteous to everyone and not freak out, I can make it through the hair loss if it comes to that. I guess it's just part of living in the 21st century, and not dying from something that formerly would have been different. In a way, it's an adventure. Not one I'd chose, but still.

I started teaching again last week (private students) and nobody quit, even after a two week hiatus, plus I got three more students, sold four violins, and really, I'm gonna make it. I just feel that I will. Nobody will be more surprised than me, if I don't.

I did have a bad morning; feeling pains in my lungs, and inside where the surgery is healing. I'm out of the powerful meds they prescribed for me and I'm feeling things, I guess. My usual aches and pains didn't magically go away, in other words. Crying helps; I guess that's why we do it. A good cry and things seem clearer.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Sending you lots of hugs, if you want them. What you're feeling is normal. I'm glad you are working toward serenity despite a really ****ty situation. The battle is half mental - each person needs to come to their own peace with this disease and it sounds like you are really working toward that.

Also, know that you are allowed to freak out, if that's what you need to do.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
I believe the surgeon will recommend cancer treatment for me when I see him on the 28th. He said as much. I'd like to talk about how to deal with losing one's hair. I do realize that hair loss does not occur in all instances. But I'm a music teacher and I don't want to frighten my students.

I guess one will know there is hair loss if after the intial treatment or treatments, the hair starts coming out. This, I would think, is pretty stressful, perhaps especially for women.

Do you just immediately shave the head and use wigs and/or scarves?

Also, how long after surgery do cancer treatments occur, as a rule? A month later? I'm feeling fine and strong this morning, almost "normal." (I love the idea of the "new normal" -- thanks for that!!)
ok, I guessed I missed something. Your other post (which I had not read all the way) must have said you got the results.

Now, if you are talking chemo, it is likely you will lose your hair, but as I memtioned, there are some darn cute wigs out there. We have a bridge friend who had ovarian cancer and her wigs were darling, much better than her real hair to be honest.

I am guessing and you can fill us in after you see the doctorr tomorrow, your treatments will start very soon. I will tell you my friend, other than losing her hair had very few side effects, she would have chemo in the mroning and play bridge in the afternoon.

Lots of hugs and lots of prayers to you.

Nita

Old 03-27-2012, 11:16 AM

>> Lots of hugs and lots of prayers to you.

Thank you! I'm not so much afraid of losing my hair and throwing up, as doing so while I'm teaching. I need to keep working, if I can.

I'll know tomorrow. I have a colonoscopy scheduled in three weeks, so if I do have to take cancer treatment (why else would the surgeon have said, "we'll discuss cancer treatment?"), I'm hoping it's going to occur after the colonoscopy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer