Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

boy, if this is true a lot of us should be living longer because so many of us do take at least a baby asprin daily...some more...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 12:31 PM

178 posts, read 355,343 times
Oh yes I have heard about it from so many people and it has been proven that it helps in curing cancer. it blocks the cancer cells and make them self destruct. those who have daily dose of aspirin due to some other medical facts have lower the risks of cancer than those who are not taking any aspirin dosage. but scientists are still not confimed about it so you should better consult your doctor first before taking aspirin.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:42 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpearl View Post
... it has been proven that it helps in curing cancer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpearl View Post
... but scientists are still not confimed about it.
OK, now these nonsense posts are starting to get on my nerves. You've even started to contradict yourself in your own posts.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:37 PM

374 posts, read 509,601 times
Most agree inflamation can cause cancer,aspirin fights inflamation.

Also many with colon cancer have it for years before they even know they have it.

Unless theres a reason I can't take aspirin anymore, I'll never take tylinol. I have never heard anything good about that drug,but i have heard it causes liver problems if taken long period or with alchohol,even sometimes in small amounts ,like a beer or glass of wine.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:07 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,928,619 times
There's a LOT of science that supports this idea. Cancer and a whole host of other diseases are thought to be caused by chronic inflammation. Inflammation seems to be the central hallmark of so many diseases.

I won't bother posting technical articles on this subject that many people won't understand, but if one is interested, they can do a pubmed search and come up with thousands of articles on this subject.

What's interesting is that you can initiate cancers, simply at sites of chronic injury or infection that constantly have low levels of inflammation.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:37 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokesalad4u2 View Post
Most agree inflamation can cause cancer,aspirin fights inflamation.

Also many with colon cancer have it for years before they even know they have it.

Unless theres a reason I can't take aspirin anymore, I'll never take tylinol. I have never heard anything good about that drug,but i have heard it causes liver problems if taken long period or with alchohol,even sometimes in small amounts ,like a beer or glass of wine.
I have been taking aspirin daily for the last nine years. I had my first colonoscopy eight years ago. No cancer. Had my second colonoscopy six years ago. No cancer. Had my third colonoscopy four years ago - ooops! Big tumor in my colon. All this while taking aspirin.

Given the unscientific nature of my study, based solely on my own outcome, would I be safe in saying the damn aspirin caused the cancer!? Of course not. Yet we are expected to applaud every time some new idea presents as the definitive cure for whatever ails you.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:14 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I have been taking aspirin daily for the last nine years. I had my first colonoscopy eight years ago. No cancer. Had my second colonoscopy six years ago. No cancer. Had my third colonoscopy four years ago - ooops! Big tumor in my colon. All this while taking aspirin.

Given the unscientific nature of my study, based solely on my own outcome, would I be safe in saying the damn aspirin caused the cancer!? Of course not. Yet we are expected to applaud every time some new idea presents as the definitive cure for whatever ails you.
Amen to rational thinking. Studies have shown lower occurrences of some types of cancer from people who take a daily aspirin, but it is certainly not a proven thing. I am taking a baby aspirin daily at the recommendation of my oncologist but it may or may not work, and it is definitely not a cure. At this point until a true cure is found, all we can do is try to reduce risk.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Amen to rational thinking. Studies have shown lower occurrences of some types of cancer from people who take a daily aspirin, but it is certainly not a proven thing. I am taking a baby aspirin daily at the recommendation of my oncologist but it may or may not work, and it is definitely not a cure. At this point until a true cure is found, all we can do is try to reduce risk.
And I'm all for trying to reduce risk. Just not when it seems to be touted on the basis that somebody's uncle's neighbor's plumber's wife rubbed a dryer sheet on her butt and cured her migraines.

I continue to take the ASA daily - it has been increased to 2/day based on a recently-diagnosed ideopathic arrythmia - on the advice of my cardiologist, because it's beneficial for my cardiac condition. If my cancer doesn't come back, I'm going to be happy but not planning on attributing it to ASA.

Christina, I'm a strong believer that if you're paying a doctor, you take his/her advice, although I will admit to sometimes debating a treatment until I get a good, logical explanation for the reason.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:08 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,155 times
Quote:
Song, in conjunction with the story, one of the news station had a doctor speak to the reasons why one should or should not take aspirin. She, (the docotor) said that starting this regimen is a decision to be reached with one's health care provider.

Just as a personal note, I was taking an 81 mg. aspirin daily beginning in 2003 for an insufficient heart valve. I had surgery for the valve in 2005, but doctor had me continue with the aspirin daily. In 2009, I was diagnosed with colon cancer. Apparently, the study didn't include me.

Just a note: It isn't supposed to cure cancer, but to help prevent cancer. The study claims success in those taking aspirin for five years or more.
It helps prevent cancer in women over 50 not men. melanoma. You must take it for 5 years. 36%
less chance of developing melanoma.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:09 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
Quote:
Christina, I'm a strong believer that if you're paying a doctor, you take his/her advice, although I will admit to sometimes debating a treatment until I get a good, logical explanation for the reason.
ditto. I am resistant initially to everything my doctor suggests, but at the end of the day, I know he's recommending things to be based on the best evidence we have, and based out of a desire to save my life. I'm fortunate to have patient providers who don't mind taking the time to explain things to me; once I understand, I feel better about following the recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer