Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:42 AM

915 posts, read 2,128,855 times

Advertisements

I appreciated everyone's positive replies. I was very embarrassed by my own maudlin remarks and wanted to remove that particular post, and then couldn't.

Gotta teach. Write more later. Good day today, though I'm already feeling nauseated for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 07:11 PM

304 posts, read 617,220 times
Please ask your onc about Emend. It is the most effective anti-emetic out there. I hope you feel better tomorrow. I also couldn't live without Dulcolax stool softener when I was in chemo (not the laxative, but the softener - they make both kinds). Also, stock up on pudding cups and fruit cups. Those Carnation instant breakfast drinks are great, too, and have a lot of nutrients. You are not going to feel like regular meals.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:57 AM

>> Emend. It is the most effective anti-emetic out there

I just sent her an email about it. Thanks!

Old 04-01-2012, 06:29 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
On Emend, it is extraordinarily expensive. Most of my drugs cost between $15 and $40 with my insurance. Emend was going to be over $100 for not all that many pills. My onc gave me compazine and zofran (both much more reasonably priced) but also gave me a script for Emend. He told me not to fill it unless neither of the previous drugs were working. It never came to that - in fact, I don't think I ever even had to take zofran for breakthrough nausea more than once. I really recommend that - you have it if you need it but you can make sure the other meds aren't working first.

A lot of chemo nausea comes from anxiety - especially leading up to chemo. Ask about ativan. They even gave me ativan via my port because I would walk into each session gagging.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
On Emend, it is extraordinarily expensive. Most of my drugs cost between $15 and $40 with my insurance. Emend was going to be over $100 for not all that many pills. My onc gave me compazine and zofran (both much more reasonably priced) but also gave me a script for Emend. He told me not to fill it unless neither of the previous drugs were working. It never came to that - in fact, I don't think I ever even had to take zofran for breakthrough nausea more than once. I really recommend that - you have it if you need it but you can make sure the other meds aren't working first.

A lot of chemo nausea comes from anxiety - especially leading up to chemo. Ask about ativan. They even gave me ativan via my port because I would walk into each session gagging.
Oh, okay. That's what I'm feeling. I've got two small surgeries, even before the chemo starts, a cholonoscopy and the putting in of the port. Both are proceeded with drinking this stuff which cleans you out, which is the most unpleasant part.

It's an intrusion of one's body. It's hard to allow people to do that to you. I don't want to do this but I don't see that I have a choice. It would be a shame not to try and then die of cancer if I don't have to.

I'm also wondering if, long term, I shouldn't move to Houston--where they have the MD Cancer Center--or to Denver, where they have medical marijuana dispensaries. I'm not going to smoke anything, ever, again, but if I'm going to die anyway, it would be nice to have some mj cookies or something.

Has anybody seen that movie, 50/50?

50/50 (2011) - IMDb

He eats some mj cookies during chemo, and walks out of there feeling intensely spiritual and good. I remember that feeling and want that again.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:31 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,088,888 times
Are you not comfortable with the team of professionals helping you now? You should not need to move to a major city for cancer treatment, although of course if you want to, that's understandable. When I was first diagnosed, I went for a second opinion at my nearest major city, and the onc there ordered the same treatment that my local onc ordered. I have to wonder, unless you have some sort of rare cancer, if the treatment is pretty much standard and accepted nation-wide. By all means, travel to a larger city for a second opinion if it will give you confidence and reassurance.

I'd enjoy mj if it were legal I think...but honestly don't worry about the nausea so much. As others have posted above, I too have only had mild, occasional nausea, and the prescription meds control it when it does occur. I don't think medical marijuana will be necessary at all, and I think the more you worry about nausea, the more likely it is that you'll experience it. Nausea just works that way, at least for me.

I get what you are saying about not trying. I have had a rough few days, low energy, mild stomach upset, just feeling drained. Walking about the house makes me out of breath, although today things are getting better. It would be easy to say, never mind, I don't want to do this...but in the end it's just a handful of months and hopefully I will live a long, healthy life for committing to this.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:51 AM

Everyone is so sweet. My Choctaw grandmother had breast cancer, around 50 years ago in Oklahoma. She drank the white doctor's chemo medication (I guess she drank it), got sicker and died, anyway. I always swore, after that, that if I got cancer I wouldn't do any chemo or radiation. No such thing. I'm doing it, against my better judgment.

Is it really true that people go through this, and live out their natural lives? Things have gotten so much better since 50 years ago?

I watched the movie last night with Julia Roberts, something like "Eat, Drink, Pray, Love." I didn't like it when I first saw it, but last night I did get some insights into myself, though I don't know if I can describe them all.

One thing, this is the hardest that I've ever done. Losing loved ones, taking the LSAT, my graduate recital -- those things were hard, but nothing like this. I think this requires a deep awareness of what's going on in my mind. Like choosing your thoughts.

The other thing is a character issue; I don't like all the components of my past behavior: wanting the easy path, letting other people spoil me, being self-centered. Bertrand Russell (my favorite author) wrote about "the indifference of nature and the cruelty of man" and how we have to be aware of all that but "think and feel nobly." Not an easy prescription.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:53 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
My son started his chemo before Zofran came out.

When it did become available, he went from puking in the car on the way home from his treatments to stopping at Burger King for lunch on the way home from his treatments.

Zofran is way less expensive now than it was back then and might work just as well as Emend. I personally took Emend before some surgery last year, and I can vouch for its effectiveness.

With the drugs that are available now, nausea is much, much les of an issue than in the past.

You do need to be "cleaned out" for the colonoscopy, but there is no reason to need to do that for the port insertion that I can see. You will just be asked not to eat or drink anything for several hours before the anesthesia.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:55 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
Everyone is so sweet. My Choctaw grandmother had breast cancer, around 50 years ago in Oklahoma. She drank the white doctor's chemo medication (I guess she drank it), got sicker and died, anyway. I always swore, after that, that if I got cancer I wouldn't do any chemo or radiation. No such thing. I'm doing it, against my better judgment.

Is it really true that people go through this, and live out their natural lives? Things have gotten so much better since 50 years ago?

I watched the movie last night with Julia Roberts, something like "Eat, Drink, Pray, Love." I didn't like it when I first saw it, but last night I did get some insights into myself, though I don't know if I can describe them all.

On thing, this is the hardest that I've ever done. Losing loved ones, taking the LSAT, my graduate recital -- those things were hard, but nothing like this. I think this requires a deep awareness of what's going on in my mind. Like choosing your thoughts.

The other thing is a character issue; I don't like all the components of my past behavior: wanting the easy path, letting other people spoil me, being self-centered. Bertrand Russell (my favorite author) wrote about "the indifference of nature and the cruelty of man" and how we have to be aware of all that but "think and feel nobly." Not an easy prescription.
There really was no effective chemotherapy for breast cancer 50 years ago. That was pretty much the day of delayed diagnosis and radical mastectomy. We've come a long way since then!

Yes! People beat cancer today!

Old 04-01-2012, 09:00 AM

>> You do need to be "cleaned out" for the colonoscopy, but there is no reason to need to do that for the port insertion that I can see. You will just be asked not to eat or drink anything for several hours before the anesthesia

Am I confused about this? What they're stipulating is:

Colonoscopy:
(2) 10 oz. Lemon Magnesium Citrate
Dulcolax – 3 pills

PORT put in:
GoLightly
Potassium pill

I bet I am misreading the document regarding the port meds. They look like they're crossed out. I just emailed my oncology nurse to get this straightened out. Thanks for noticing what is probably my error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer