Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 02:00 AM

910 posts, read 2,298,943 times

Advertisements

I'm sure most won't know who Dr. David Derry is, except maybe anyone who was diagnosed with a thyroid problem in the early years of this new century and participated in the About.com forums. For those that haven't heard of him I'll say that he was a very well-known Canadian doctor who was having great success treating thyroid patients that other doctors had been unable to help and for this reason he had his license taken away, but please read the entire story here.

I greatly admire him and those like him who have dared to "think outside the box", and to counter the criticism the real quacks may have to undermine his credibility I offer this quote by Albert Einstein: "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds", 'nuff said!

Now on to Dr. Derry's article about Breast Cancer, Tamoxifen, Thyroid & Weight Loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 07:41 PM

7,399 posts, read 19,377,067 times
Interesting article.

I thought salt was salt so does it really matter if it's table salt or salt from processed foods? It seems all the same to me.

I will say though, I am not much of a salt eater, unless it's already in the foods I eat.

I'm always interested in things that can prevent disease.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:57 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,894,117 times
Salt is needed by the body. However, too much salt can be a bad thing. Prevention is prudent. The other extreme can be harmful too.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:56 PM

NO, salt is not salt, that's one of the misconceptions about it. As we all know, real salt is mined from ancient deposits formed from sea water, but those chunks look too "ugly" for purposes of marketing, and it can form lumps once ground so, as it was done with whole flour and then raw sugar we had the "brilliant" idea of refining it and that's the white stuff most people consume today. But that "white stuff" is not only concentrated but it's devoid of many other minerals essential to good health that come with raw salt.

SD4020:

While anything in excess is not good, you'd be surprised to find out that we need salt much more than we've been taught to believe. Also, sodium has been excessively maligned when, in fact, many researchers suspect that chloride may be the actual culprit in increasing blood pressure in sensitive individuals. I have to agree with that because only a few months ago my blood pressure was bothering me so much I could hardly go to sleep feeling my own heart pounding when I lay down. Having an inquisitive mind I began a series of searches and almost by "coincidence" I found a post about chloride in a health forum, did a search and read an article about it and then discontinued the use of magnesium chloride which I'd been using daily or almost daily for a very long time. I also followed a recommendation on how to balance my electrolytes naturally and my heart pounding went away immediately.

Here's another very informative article entitled "A Pillar of Salt" which goes into a little more detail and should help you understand why we're having problems with eating too much salt (of the wrong kind).

Last edited by TiredOfSFL; 04-13-2012 at 09:08 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Interesting article.

I thought salt was salt so does it really matter if it's table salt or salt from processed foods? It seems all the same to me.

I will say though, I am not much of a salt eater, unless it's already in the foods I eat.

I'm always interested in things that can prevent disease.
Hmm, in not eating much salt you may have cheated yourself of the most reliable source of iodine available to most of us. As for processed foods, I'm almost 100% sure they are made with salt that has NOT been iodized.

Iodine, as I mentioned before, is essential to breast health, as well as the health of every other gland in our bodies. And because it's needed to induce apoptosis (programmed cell death) it's believed that the insufficiency of it facilitates the formation of tumors. Here's the results of a study that goes beyond prevention:
Molecular Iodine Induces Caspase-independent Apoptosis in Human Breast Carcinoma Cells Involving the Mitochondria-mediated Pathway

Old 04-14-2012, 06:20 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,858,327 times
Years ago, I think it was around 1988, I was having intense breast pain. I was always fanatical about my health, so one of the things I limited was salt. I read an article that said lack of Iodine could cause breast pain. I upped my Iodine - pain went away. Twenty years later I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Did lack of iodine start the cancer? If iodine stops/cures cancer how come my cancer progressed despite the iodine?

I just hate articles like this. Curing cancer is so danged simple. Ya. Right.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
Years ago, I think it was around 1988, I was having intense breast pain. I was always fanatical about my health, so one of the things I limited was salt. I read an article that said lack of Iodine could cause breast pain. I upped my Iodine - pain went away. Twenty years later I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Did lack of iodine start the cancer? If iodine stops/cures cancer how come my cancer progressed despite the iodine?

I just hate articles like this. Curing cancer is so danged simple. Ya. Right.
Exactly. And many miss that point. They are the same ones who can't grasp that cures and successful treatments are found with good solid science and clinical tests. Not quackery or whatever else that is not proven. If there is no evidence shown and studies have been done that conclude that there is no evidence of it working or worst yet something that can be harmful. I honestly wish those that tout that BS would realize the harm they are causing.

Most people are smart enough to see through that though.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:04 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,858,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Exactly. And many miss that point. They are the same ones who can't grasp that cures and successful treatments are found with good solid science and clinical tests. Not quackery or whatever else that is not proven. If there is no evidence shown and studies have been done that conclude that there is no evidence of it working or worst yet something that can be harmful. I honestly wish those that tout that BS would realize the harm they are causing.

Most people are smart enough to see through that though.
I know they mean well, but after a while it just grates on my last nerve. My oncologist is a very caring man. He has spent his life (he's 70) devoted to his cancer patients. Silly man. All he had to do was hand out Iodine.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
I know they mean well, but after a while it just grates on my last nerve. My oncologist is a very caring man. He has spent his life (he's 70) devoted to his cancer patients. Silly man. All he had to do was hand out Iodine.
If they mean well, they'd listen. You're right it is grating and insulting to cancer patients and survivors, if there is credibility in the claims, great. There is no credibility at all. Gee if Iodine worked like some claim we wouldn't have the problem of breast cancer. My aunts, a sister and friends who fought it to varying degrees of success... D'oh!

Old 04-14-2012, 11:52 PM

37,273 posts, read 41,495,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
I'm sure most won't know who Dr. David Derry is, except maybe anyone who was diagnosed with a thyroid problem in the early years of this new century and participated in the About.com forums. For those that haven't heard of him I'll say that he was a very well-known Canadian doctor who was having great success treating thyroid patients that other doctors had been unable to help and for this reason he had his license taken away, but please read the entire story here.

I greatly admire him and those like him who have dared to "think outside the box", and to counter the criticism the real quacks may have to undermine his credibility I offer this quote by Albert Einstein: "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds", 'nuff said!

Now on to Dr. Derry's article about Breast Cancer, Tamoxifen, Thyroid & Weight Loss.
Derry lost his license because he is a quack.

Chemotherapy and radiation do not make thyroid blood tests unreliable. If the thyroid tests are normal, then some other explanation must be found for the patient's symptoms. to insist that a thyroid problem exists when the tests say otherwise just delays getting an appropriate diagnosis.

Fibrocystic breast changes are not pre-cancerous, and it is irresponsible for Derry to say so. That is probably one of the reasons that he lost his license.

There is no evidence that iodine will prevent breast cancer.

Breast cancer incidence did increase in the US, but it did so in concert with an increase in the use of postmenopausal hormone therapy. In the recent past, the incidence has decreased, in concert with a reduced use of hormones. Iodine --- or lack of it --- has not been implicated in the incidence of breast cancer.

Derry goes on to brag about his results in ten patients. Ten. Really?

Derry implies that iodized salt is not available in the US by saying it is not legally required. That is hogwash. You can buy it either with or without iodine. That is the best way to do it, since some people with thyroid disease actually should not take iodine.

On about.com and Mary Shomon:

Dr. Guttler's Santa Monica Thyroid Diagnostic Center - Nodules, Hyperthyroid/Graves, Hypothyroid/Hashimoto's, Goiter

Shomon has no medical training.

It appears the "mediocre minds" here are Derry and Shomon.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 04-15-2012 at 12:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer