Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:05 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,845,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
I saw a news article about that hat you can wear; it costs quite a lot (I've already forgotten -- $500/month??), you have to apply it every 20 minutes during chemo. I don't think it's worth it. Chemo is bad enough without having to change a cold hat every 20 minutes.

If I lose my hair, that's fine. Not a big deal. Probably grow back better anyway. I'm expecting it.
You should expect it. Which chemo meds are you on? I think Adriamycin/Doxorubicin is the one that thins hair, but it's also used in most chemotherapy regimens because of its effectiveness. Some people call it the "red devil".

Quote:
I was thinking, last night, my mindset regarding chemo is still set in the past. At one time I said that, if I ever got cancer, I'd just go home (reservation in Arizona) and die in peace, and not do the chemo or radiation, as everyone I knew did those things, and still died anyway. So this is how I'm still thinking. How inaccurate is that??

I would like to know the percentage of people who go through the chemo and/or radiation and live normal lives afterwards, cancer free? Is it a lot??
I would quit with all that doom and gloom talk. Cancer survival numbers get better and better every year. But also keep in mind that any numbers you read are going to be old. After all, you have to follow people for 40 years after treatment to find out if they are healthy for 40 years after treatment. But, from what I understand, the number can and will get better every year. Some cancers are highly curable, some are only manageable, and some are pretty rough, but we are constantly improving.

I can't remember what type of cancer you have mvintar, but some cancers are so treatable that people live normal, healthy lives for DECADES after treatment.

As far as your original question, it's pretty tough to predict the progression of your side effects. When my girlfriend was first diagnosed I read several hours a day for about a month trying to learn absolutely everything I could about her disease and treatment. My own conclusion is that everyone's side effects are different and that you won't really know until you have a few under your belt. If there's anything that's unbearable, ASK THE DOC! There's always another medication for side effects that could work better for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 09:09 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Cancer is far from a death sentence. It also has a way of showing you things you've never seen before. It takes time to wrap your mind around it and for a person to come to terms with it.

For me more positives than negatives came from the experience.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:27 AM

915 posts, read 2,128,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
I have some complications that you will not have because of the type of cancer and types of treatments that I had, including surgery and radiation. However, I think I'm doing great thanks! I've been in remission now for over two years.
That's great! I'm so happy for you!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Which chemo meds are you on? I think Adriamycin/Doxorubicin is the one that thins hair, but it's also used in most chemotherapy regimens because of its effectiveness. Some people call it the "red devil".
Looks like they've got me on Taxol (Paclitaxe) and Carboplatin (Paraplatin).

Ovarian cancer, I guess; I did have a complete bilaterial hysterectomy and removal of a 37cm in diameter encapsulated tumor, a colonoscopy and a port put in. First chemo (or four planned) was a week ago.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,982 times
Quote:
That's great! I'm so happy for you!
Thanks ... and we are all going to be happy for you too ... for a very long time!!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Thanks ... and we are all going to be happy for you too ... for a very long time!!
It's funny you would say that; I did have this precognition that I would stay on this board, like forever, in case some poor soul like me came wandering in and there would be something I could say which would help them, like so many people have helped me.

Yesterday was wierd; I went to a business appointment and the way people look at you when you tell them what you're going through, it's distinctly different. They get a far away look in their eyes, they're a little afraid for themselves, they don't know quite what to say.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:18 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
Yesterday was wierd; I went to a business appointment and the way people look at you when you tell them what you're going through, it's distinctly different. They get a far away look in their eyes, they're a little afraid for themselves, they don't know quite what to say.
I think people are both afraid and don't know what to say. It's like people want to find reasons why you got it so they know that because they did xyz differently, they won't get it. People asked me if my mom breastfed (yes), if I was vaccinated (yes), if I smoked or drank (no and no), and all sorts of questions. They are trying, but human nature in all it's fallibility steps in.

My chemos got cumulatively worse, but most noticeable in my fatigue. By the time month 4 rolled around, I had 8 chemos under my belt and was exhausted. I had to have people drive me hope for tx 11 and 12 because I didn't think I'd be able to stay awake to drive. Some pain got worse, but a lot of the most painful neuropathy got better. It really varied.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:40 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
It's funny you would say that; I did have this precognition that I would stay on this board, like forever, in case some poor soul like me came wandering in and there would be something I could say which would help them, like so many people have helped me.

Which is precisely why you don't know how many cancer survivors you meet on a daily basis. It gets tiresome to reassure others that you have/had-cancer-and-are-dealing-with-it-so-don't-get-that-look-like-oh-my-god-am-I-going-to-get-it-too? Otherwise, I'd wear a sign that says, "I had cancer. I'm getting over it. You get over it, too, please."

Many years ago, the word cancer was only pronounced in whispers. Because it was an automatic death sentence. First of all, it was a.) rarely diagnosed in early enough stages that something could be done about it, if b.) there actually was something that could be done about it. As time went on, more knowledge was gained and diagnoses were made earlier and earlier and research into treatment advanced, more and more people began to live longer and longer lives.

My eldest son's wife - 15 years post op, post chemo, post radiation. Living a great productive life as wife, mother, teacher.

My Mother had surgery for uterine cancer when she was in her early 30's. She died at age 71 of a bleed in her brain. (I think that qualifies for Garfunkels 40 year follow up)

My own self - 3 1/2 years out from colon cancer.

OTOH, how many people are in perfect health and walk in front of a bus and it's all over? Since we don't know the hour, it would behoove us all to focus on today. I know I am.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:57 AM

Well, I'm a week past the first chemo and I feel absolutely normal -- except that I'm not carrying around a huge tumor in my stomach and I have an extraordinary amount of energy. I don't know if it's the steroids but I'm having trouble "resting" -- I can't sit still, in fact. Cleaned house, washed clothes, started a recording project of fiddle tunes and put them online. Not sick at all.

The instant I feel queasy, even a little, I take a Promethazine. Or if I hurt, I take a 500 mg Ibuprofen. But I'm not needing either today or yesterday.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My chemos got cumulatively worse, but most noticeable in my fatigue. By the time month 4 rolled around, I had 8 chemos under my belt and was exhausted. I had to have people drive me hope for tx 11 and 12 because I didn't think I'd be able to stay awake to drive. Some pain got worse, but a lot of the most painful neuropathy got better. It really varied.
Eight chemos is a lot. I can't image looking at eight; four scares me enough (well, three more).

Mine are spaced three weeks apart, with blood tests on alternative weeks. Can anyone tell me (a) is that pretty normal, in terms of the spacing; and (b) what are they looking for in the blood tests?

TIA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer