Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:28 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,114 times

Advertisements

I work with a woman who has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She is soon to be 78. I am not aware of the side effects of radiation but I would imagine they are pretty cruel. This co-worker seems to think she can have this done 5 days a week for a month and come to work on the weekend.

For those who have had this or know of other who have had radiation... is this going to be possible for her? Will her age be a factor in recovery too?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 09:30 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Yes it can be possible. A lot of radiation patients say the site is often red like bad sunburn. Internal effects may vary by location.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I work with a woman who has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She is soon to be 78. I am not aware of the side effects of radiation but I would imagine they are pretty cruel. This co-worker seems to think she can have this done 5 days a week for a month and come to work on the weekend.

For those who have had this or know of other who have had radiation... is this going to be possible for her? Will her age be a factor in recovery too?

Thanks
The side effects for most people are almost non existant. There may be some tiredness and a few other things like loss of appitite but that normally is all. My husband had 7 plus weeks from Feb to April, yes, 5 days a week. He had almost no problems. At the end he did lose his appitite a lit for about a week, he was is little more tired and he had some stomach trouble a couple of days. His radiation inocmpast his intire abdomine. Now he is having an 8 week, daily treatment for his prostate. So far, about 1/2 through, the same as before. He is a little tired, but that is it. BTW, we are close to her age and we have had many friends with breast and prostate cancer, they all report the same as I am. Most of them don't have anyone go with them for their treatments even. There can be a few side effects, everyone is different, but it is more common to not have them, than to have them.
Nita

Old 07-17-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Yes it can be possible. A lot of radiation patients say the site is often red like bad sunburn. Internal effects may vary by location.
I had forgotten about the redness: yes, hubby had that also. It was almost identical to a sunburn, but itched a little instead of burning. It went away within 2 weeks of completing the treatments. He hasn't had it yet, this round.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:58 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The side effects for most people are almost non existant. There may be some tiredness and a few other things like loss of appitite but that normally is all. My husband had 7 plus weeks from Feb to April, yes, 5 days a week. He had almost no problems. At the end he did lose his appitite a lit for about a week, he was is little more tired and he had some stomach trouble a couple of days. His radiation inocmpast his intire abdomine. Now he is having an 8 week, daily treatment for his prostate. So far, about 1/2 through, the same as before. He is a little tired, but that is it. BTW, we are close to her age and we have had many friends with breast and prostate cancer, they all report the same as I am. Most of them don't have anyone go with them for their treatments even. There can be a few side effects, everyone is different, but it is more common to not have them, than to have them.
Nita

Wow, that is good to know. I will pass it on. thanks!

Old 07-17-2012, 08:19 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
It seems radiation doens't have the side effects that chemo does.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:37 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
I don't know anyone who wasn't able to work full time through radiation unless they were very ill upon beginning or they were getting rads to the neck (which often burns the throat so badly that you can't speak, eat, or drink). When I was going through treatment, radiation was discussed and the plan was to go first thing in the morning every work day for a month and a half, then go back to work a 40 hour week.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
It seems radiation doens't have the side effects that chemo does.
I am sure you are right, sometimes, apparently there can be a little loss of hair in the area being treated, but the sickness, the total loss of hair, the tiredness, etc just doesn't occur with raidiation. I know a woman at our church who had both after her breast cancer. She was the first to tell us how easy radiation was compared to chemo. I totally believe her. In fact a lot of people in our church have had both, they all say about the same thing.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I don't know anyone who wasn't able to work full time through radiation unless they were very ill upon beginning or they were getting rads to the neck (which often burns the throat so badly that you can't speak, eat, or drink). When I was going through treatment, radiation was discussed and the plan was to go first thing in the morning every work day for a month and a half, then go back to work a 40 hour week.
Even years ago, I had a friend who went through about a month of radiation for uterian (spelling) cancer. She never missed work. Since then things have improved so much. I think rarely, you will hear of someone that does have to cut back on working hours a little toward the end of radiation.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:49 PM

947 posts, read 1,642,970 times
While it is true that radiation does not have the same or as many side effects as chemo there are some. Each patient's experience will be different due to many variable factors: amount of radiation prescribed, the size of the area being treated, how often the treatments are given, etc. and then there are non-medical factors such as work hours, physical and/or emotional stress, blood counts, etc.

To those that are saying they know someone or so and so said... This cancer patient can tell you that everyone's side effects differ but it is quite common and normal for those receiving daily radiation treatments to experience tiredness after the first 2 weeks of treatment and continuing a few weeks past when their therapy ends. If you are working in a job that is very demanding physically or emotionally that will add to the tiredness effect. Additionally, radiation burns, especially for breast care patients, can make it difficult or impossible to wear a bra and most employers want women to have the "girls" locked and loaded.

Just about every single one of my buddies who were receiving their treatments at the same time I was complained about being tired and about the radiation burns. They ranged in age from 30's to 70's. Those that were working were more tired and cranky. Because of my job which requires very long hours and is very draining both physically and mentally, my oncologist did not want me to work. He tells all of his patients that the results are better long term not to work while undergoing treatment. He says "fighting your cancer is a full-time job so if you have the financial ability not to work while in treatment then don't."
Luckily, I elected long ago to choose short term disability insurance as part of my benefits package with my employer. It's the best money I've ever spent.

The person who should answer the question of whether the cancer patient can or should work during their treatments is the patient in consultation with their oncologist.

Last edited by shoegal111; 08-08-2012 at 02:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer