Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:43 AM

915 posts, read 2,128,420 times

Advertisements

>> Please don't think I am saying diet, exercise, life style whatever does not affrect our health

I'm glad you said that, because from your posts I know you are a very caring person, and that you care about the people on here and want to protect them. It's just important not to imply that it doesn't matter what one eats, or one's level of stress, because you feel that studies are contradictory. Also, you can't evaluate studies unless you've, well, studied them...and not junk science, but real science. And there is a big distinction.

"Modern animal husbandry is a major factor in water pollution, contributing animal waste, antibiotics, hormones and a witch’s brew of chemicals from tanneries, fertilizers and pesticides from feed crops."** I seriously doubt that there are legitimate studies which indicate that a plant based diet is not more healthful than one based on animal products -- unless, of course, it's a "study" by the meat and/or dairy industries. Not so is science developed, that one starts with a premise, and then finds the "data" to support it. Science is very careful to base conclusions on facts, not agendas.

** See:
The dramatic impact of industrialized animal production - from ecomii blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 01:26 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I am alive thanks to Chemo. Lets see if I can break this down into simple enough terms for you to understand... If I didn't take chemo, the cancer would run unabated killing me eventually. While chemo made me sick, not taking chemo would be deadly. Make that statement to the many people who are alive thanks to chemo watch it go over like a fart in church.

Are improvments needed in chemo medicines? Yes. No one disputes that.
Ditto. And improvements have been made in chemo medicines. Every year brings new, improved regimens that weren't available before.

My chemo was oral. Two pills a day for two weeks, a week off, and start again. Six months of this and aside from a little fatigue and some forgetfulness, I did well. Are there side effects we don't know about? Maybe. But I'm currently functioning fully - doing all the usual ADL, and babysitting grands and still able to cut my own grass.

Yes, there are chemos that destroy good cells, that cause nausea and diarrhea and fatigue, that make one wish for it to be over. When the cancer for which it is prescribed is so advanced that the plan of attack must be a full-blown assault, it can certainly be debilitating and sadly, not always successful.

Each of us must choose the course we think best. I am here to attest that the course I chose has given me three and a half years (thus far) of normalcy.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:33 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Tony,

Tell that to the millions of cancer patients that are living today because of chemo. It has a lot of horrible side effects and yes, the studies were not very positive. This goes for radiation as well and even surgery. There is no sure treatment that works for everyone, there is no cure for a few types of cancer and research is continuing but survival rate is better today than ever before.

Attitude may or may not play a part like some think, but it is pretty hard to change a person's attitude when they are an adult. Diet may play a role as, but again, there is no proof of this either. We can read all we want, check the resources on the net, etc and each study shows something different.

I think for someone to make a generalized statement about chemo is not helping anyone, and maybe hurting some. people who change their diet in hopes of preventing cancer may or may not have a point, but there are those who are vegetarians or vegans that die of cancer and there are those who eat a high animal fat diet that live to be 100. We just don't know enough to say what does and doesn't work.

Nita
It depends on the Cancer and the stage. It is harder to treat cancer at a later stage than an earlier stage. The earlier you catch it the better you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes it can compromise your immune system...
It messes up your body

Old 08-11-2012, 07:34 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,864 times
It depends on how much the doctors give you. My dad was on Folfirinox ( 4 chemo regimes at a time ). It was really working for him. His tumors were almost gone. As soon as he stopped the chemo because his white blood cells or red blood cells were low, the cancer was spreading fast.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
It depends on the Cancer and the stage. It is harder to treat cancer at a later stage than an earlier stage. The earlier you catch it the better you are.

It messes up your body
of course the earlier the better. I am sure you realize that is why pancreatic cancer is so hard to treat. It is normally not diagnosed to til in the late stages.

Nita

Old 08-12-2012, 05:55 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think for someone to make a generalized statement about chemo is not helping anyone, and maybe hurting some.
Agreed, Nita. I have a close friend with ovarian cancer who, because of chemo, lived long enough to see two of her grandchildren born and to enjoy several vacations that she and her husband had looked forward to. I also have a childhood friend who used alternative methods to treat her ovarian cancer and she lived for five years after her diagnosis, the last year in an extremely uncomfortable state. We just can't make blanket statements about the choice of treatment that a person with cancer makes.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Agreed, Nita. I have a close friend with ovarian cancer who, because of chemo, lived long enough to see two of her grandchildren born and to enjoy several vacations that she and her husband had looked forward to. I also have a childhood friend who used alternative methods to treat her ovarian cancer and she lived for five years after her diagnosis, the last year in an extremely uncomfortable state. We just can't make blanket statements about the choice of treatment that a person with cancer makes.
I have a good friend also that saw grandkids graduate from college, go to another's wedding, and she celebrated her 50th wedding anniversary, all during her chemo treatments. She had ovarian cancer, which is a tough one as well. She would have chemo and then come to bridge that afternoon. We did lose her a few months ago, but she fought for 6 years and enjoyed every day until the last 6 weeks or so. I am sure she is in heaven right now saying, Thank you God for a good life and thank you for chemo.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 AM

178 posts, read 355,343 times
chemotherapy have long and short term side effects but there are millions of cancer patient that are living a normal life now because of chemo therapy, it happens as a direct result of taking any drug/s. side effects also depends on how your body react to a particular treatment. chemo is very helpful in the contraction of tumors but for the sake of optimum health you should educate yourself about the side effects and benefits of it.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:20 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpearl View Post
chemotherapy have long and short term side effects but there are millions of cancer patient that are living a normal life now because of chemo therapy, it happens as a direct result of taking any drug/s. side effects also depends on how your body react to a particular treatment. chemo is very helpful in the contraction of tumors but for the sake of optimum health you should educate yourself about the side effects and benefits of it.
Water has long and short term effects but there are millions of people who drink water every day that are living a normal life. It happens as a direct result of drinking the water. Side effects depends on how your body reactions to drinking it. Water is very help in the contraction of thirst but for the sake of optimum health you should educate yourself about the side effects and benefits of it ... and if you fall off a boat into it you could drown.

Now you tell me ... is there really any different between the these two inane posts?

Spoiler
... other than the fact that you probably won't fall off a boat and drown from Chemotherapy

Last edited by Gone-2-Beach; 02-16-2013 at 06:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer