Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 06:09 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
It is not solely the diet that is leading to a decline life expectancy averages in the United States... It is lifestyle (physical activity, and the fast food mentality.)

France's life expectancy average as of 2010 was 81 years. The look at what the french eat and drink... Lots of meats, cheeses, wine, etc.

In the United States the life expectancy average is 78 years as of 2010.
I found a site that can give us a bit more insight about the French diet in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 05:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
It is not solely the diet that is leading to a decline life expectancy averages in the United States... It is lifestyle (physical activity, and the fast food mentality.)

France's life expectancy average as of 2010 was 81 years. The look at what the french eat and drink... Lots of meats, cheeses, wine, etc.

In the United States the life expectancy average is 78 years as of 2010.
As well as genetics playing a major roll, so does activity, you are so right. The French are a perfect example. They do eat what they want, and the kids are raised on wine, but they ride bikes, instead of driving a car around the corner, they keep active, they do not overwork themselves, but do more physical work then we do, etc. I don't think anyone will doubt eating healthy is a contributor to good health, not just a cancer fighter, but there are many other things as well. As you know, we have to keep a balance and realize, there is no one way to prevent cancer or any one way to eat. What is right for one, may not be for someone else.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:56 AM

915 posts, read 2,128,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As well as genetics playing a major roll, so does activity, you are so right. The French are a perfect example. They do eat what they want, and the kids are raised on wine, but they ride bikes, instead of driving a car around the corner, they keep active, they do not overwork themselves, but do more physical work then we do, etc. I don't think anyone will doubt eating healthy is a contributor to good health, not just a cancer fighter, but there are many other things as well. As you know, we have to keep a balance and realize, there is no one way to prevent cancer or any one way to eat. What is right for one, may not be for someone else.
From what I've read, genetics plays a far less important role than what people eat. Over and over again, in examining large populations, eating a plant based diet results in fewer instances of cancer, heart disease, obesity, arthritis, etc.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:21 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
You are absolutly right, the french, with their longer life expectancy average, do eat whatever they want, and it is far smaller portions. The McDonalds supersized junk food mentality and lack of physical activity is the biggest issue americans face. Will is prevent cancer? That is to be determined... But it would be effective in other health concerns generally brought on by weight... Like diabetes and joint problems.

That is one of my who beefs with Paula Deen when it was announced that she signed on as a spokeperson for a new drug, and that she concealed her diabetes. She refused to change her diet or cooking methods promoting an unhealthy lifestyle, and this little pill was supposed be the magic fix. I have not followed up since this all came about.

I am hungry, I think I will reheat my schzwan beef leftovers from last night. I didn't want to hoover the whole thing last night.

Moderation is key. This I discussed with my oncologist 6 years ago.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:41 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
From what I've read, genetics plays a far less important role than what people eat. Over and over again, in examining large populations, eating a plant based diet results in fewer instances of cancer, heart disease, obesity, arthritis, etc.
I agree with you, there. Might have to add B vitamins and Zinc, as well as iron.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
You are absolutly right, the french, with their longer life expectancy average, do eat whatever they want, and it is far smaller portions. The McDonalds supersized junk food mentality and lack of physical activity is the biggest issue americans face. Will is prevent cancer? That is to be determined... But it would be effective in other health concerns generally brought on by weight... Like diabetes and joint problems.

That is one of my who beefs with Paula Deen when it was announced that she signed on as a spokeperson for a new drug, and that she concealed her diabetes. She refused to change her diet or cooking methods promoting an unhealthy lifestyle, and this little pill was supposed be the magic fix. I have not followed up since this all came about.

I am hungry, I think I will reheat my schzwan beef leftovers from last night. I didn't want to hoover the whole thing last night.

Moderation is key. This I discussed with my oncologist 6 years ago.
I spent the day with my daughter, who lived in Poland for 2 years in the early 2000s. Her company transferred she and her husband there. (they worked for the same company at the time) We were talking about the eurpeons: they do exercise more often, eat smaller portions and they do eat fresh foods more than we do. They also eat a lot of meats, cheeses and as I have said drink, whether it is french and their wines or Germans and beer or Poland and their Vodka. We all know the Asians eat less meat than we do, but they certainly do eat meat, they love their sodium, and their refined rice. They have a very low cancer rate, but stomach cancer is a little more common among them.

I will add juar one thing: Ask any oncologist and you will get the same answer: yes, genetics does play a huge roll in cetain cancers: Breast and prostate for starters. Colon cancer seems to be genetic as well and people with a family history of any cancers are more likely to develop cancer. As you know and I am sure agree: this isn't saying everyone who develops cancer has a family history or it or visa versa. I guess for those who do not think there is a connection, they have a right to their beliefs, but doctors totally disagree.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
genetics does play a huge roll in certain cancers...people with a family history of any cancers are more likely to develop cancer. this isn't saying everyone who develops cancer has a family history or it or visa versa. I guess for those who do not think there is a connection, they have a right to their beliefs, but doctors totally disagree.
Absolutely. Genetics of Breast and Ovarian Cancer (PDQ®) - National Cancer Institute

Old 10-06-2012, 02:04 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
I get tired of hearing all the time that some new thing we all do or eat causes cancer. You feel like you can't win. You hear about people that live into their 90's and drink and smoke and eat whatever they want and they never get cancer, and then you have young people, some even as young as infants, but many in their teens and 20's with cancer. Genetics does play a big part in this. I have a lot of cancer runs in my family, all different kinds such as leukemia, cervical cancer, Hodgkins, prostate, and breast cancer. Last fall I was diagnosed with uterine cancer. I had surgery in January and was lucky enough that it was all removed. I found out that I have elevated estrogen levels. I also found out that women with elevated estrogen level are prone to cervical, breast and colon cancers. I just last week had a mammogram, which was fine, and now I need to have my first colonoscopy. I guess all we can do is try our best to avoid things we know that cause cancer and cross our fingers, because anyone can get cancer.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I get tired of hearing all the time that some new thing we all do or eat causes cancer. You feel like you can't win. You hear about people that live into their 90's and drink and smoke and eat whatever they want and they never get cancer, and then you have young people, some even as young as infants, but many in their teens and 20's with cancer. Genetics does play a big part in this. I have a lot of cancer runs in my family, all different kinds such as leukemia, cervical cancer, Hodgkins, prostate, and breast cancer. Last fall I was diagnosed with uterine cancer. I had surgery in January and was lucky enough that it was all removed. I found out that I have elevated estrogen levels. I also found out that women with elevated estrogen level are prone to cervical, breast and colon cancers. I just last week had a mammogram, which was fine, and now I need to have my first colonoscopy. I guess all we can do is try our best to avoid things we know that cause cancer and cross our fingers, because anyone can get cancer.
You have the exact right attitude: everything we eat causes something; if it isn't cancer it is diabetes, heart trouble, anemia, who knows what else...?? You can give up, say, meats but eat rice, which is not good for us, they say; you can eat eggs, but we now about them, stay away from diary products and glueten free is the newest trend. I know, there are people who really do need to stay away from a lot of things, people who really do have health problems that can be kept under control with diet. Yes, there are some things in life, that are unsafe and do contribute to deseases and yes, there might be a few foods out there which do have health benefits, but overall, the best we can do is enjoy life, as long as we can, try to keep informed, but take a lot of what is reported with a grain of salt and make sure we follow up with regular check ups, keep active and accept we will not leave this earth alive.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:47 AM

915 posts, read 2,128,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I agree with you, there. Might have to add B vitamins and Zinc, as well as iron.
Yes; it's a good idea to take B12. I take a multi, D and a host of others, but vegan varieties:

Buy Vegetarian and Vegan Vitamins, Supplements Online

No one, IMHO, can live in this culture and be 1000% pure w/r/t the vegan issues that are so important for the planet and human health. But that doesn't mean that one shouldn't make the effort.

I had Stage1A ovarian cancer. It's gone and--maybe--gone for good. How much worse might it have been had my body been full of chemicals and other waste products from animals? There's no way of knowing. Linda McCartney (Paul's wife) after all, died of breast cancer, too, and she was I believe, vegan (or vegetarian?). [The Wikipedia article doesn't say she was vegan, so I don't know. She was vegetarian for certain.]

How many people can one individual know personally? 2,000? More? It troubles me that people use their own, individual, knowledge of some few individuals to draw conclusions. That is, by definition (if I understand this correctly), anecdotal evidence, and not applicable: "Misuse of anecdotal evidence is a logical fallacy and is sometimes informally referred to as the "person who" fallacy ("I know a person who..."; "I know of a case where..." etc."

In other words, anecdotal evidence is not reliable, and one shouldn't say, oh well, it doesn't matter what I eat, drink or smoke, because grandma Brooks did...such and such...and lived to be 99.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer