Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 08:35 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times

Advertisements

I too also can't believe you did not notice your cervix was being scraped...ugh, not fun! Your physician must have the lightest touch!

As a patient, sometimes it is hard to follow everything that is said. I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent, but there have been times I did not hear what the doctor was saying at all. I would have sworn on my life that I was told something different, or not at all, except that I am fortunate my husband goes with me on all my appointments and helps me keep track of what is going on. This happened when I had my first radiation oncology consult. I was certain he said I did not need radiation. My husband said no, that is not what he said at all! We argued about it and I was sure he was wrong. Finally I called the doctor, who re-explained that he was indeed recommending radiation. I could not believe my brain was missing something so huge. Honestly, it scared me. But I guess the stress of coping with cancer does strange things to us.

This is just a suggestion, but perhaps it might be helpful if you took a notebook with you, and jotted down what the doctor said, and then re-read it to him at the end of the appointment to make sure you did not miss anything. I can't imagine how hard it must be going through this alone.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:51 AM

75 posts, read 149,772 times
I also find it hard to believe you couldn't feel your cervix being scraped! And you should expect if this was a routine exam that your Dr. is going to perform a pap annually.

With that said, you need to become more medically informed and advocate for yourself. If you have MS then join there group. My Mother has MS and gets good information from them all the time and she doesn't even use the Internet! It is a horrible disease to have, and I am sorry you have it, but becoming informed and being pro-active is your best course of action.

Are there non-communicative MD's out there? Yes, a lot. Are there crappy MDs who write scripts for pils and don't explain they why's, what fors, and side-effects? Yes, a lot. It is your duty to yourself to find one you feel comfortable with and can communicate with. And when faced with that type of MD always look up the med before filling it.

You have to advocate for yourself. Sitting in victim-hood doesn't serve any purpose and can make existing medical conditions worse, the power of positive thinking does help heal the body.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:24 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
By "ill" I was referring to myself and myself only; though the cancer is presumably gone, I have MS. It's much worse than it was, pre-chemo. I'm unable to walk, stand upright, and there are a host of other difficulties.

Don't know why you're mystified about why I posted this, Charley; looks clear as day to me. Despite all the overreaching evaluations of my general character and writing style, I merely commented that I thought they should have TOLD ME they were doing a procedure on me.

And I can assure you, the women in that office told me that I'm charming and their favorite patient. I have never once complained or been unpleasant. That's how I'll continue, as well.
And yet at 12:27 AM today, you wrote in another thread -

quote from mvintar: This thread is so interesting. After reading it I found several vegan products with mushrooms. I think I'll try it. I've improved my diet so radically since the cancer, including a bit of CR (calorie restriction). I'm also becoming a gym rat, but I feel so much better than I did, pre-cancer and I don't even look like the same person.: end quote

Is it any wonder people are confused by your posts?

Old 12-01-2012, 06:24 PM

915 posts, read 2,128,420 times
>> Is it any wonder people are confused by your posts?

You're saying that this:
I'm unable to walk, stand upright, and there are a host of other difficulties.

contradicts this:
I'm also becoming a gym rat, but I feel so much better than I did, pre-cancer and I don't even look like the same person.
I have an assistant, who goes with me, and helps me get in and out of the pool. I do feel better from the water aerobics, which I do, sitting in a chair. It's not easy, getting from the car to the gym, and then into the pool, but as I mentioned, I have someone who helps me.

So the two statements are not contradictory.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:43 PM

915 posts, read 2,128,420 times
I mentioned, above, that I'm pleasant and courteous when I visit the doctor. I'm surprised, the turn this thread took. I think there's an issue here, but maybe it's just that someone who's experienced a similar concern hasn't read it. I did get one anonymous, private positive comment. Perhaps my bit of feminist rebellion didn't sit well.

Last edited by mvintar; 12-01-2012 at 07:41 PM..

Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
First, it is a public forum. We have spelled it out for you previously, we can post wherever we like. Are we picking on you? No. The incongruities in your story make us suspect. You came here looking for advice and support, which we all offered. Your response has always been critical, argumentative, and hostile. You accuse us of not understanding or caring or whatever other excuse offered. Even compassionate people have limits to who they are treated.

As far as your exam, again the story seems suspect at best. Is it malpractice? No, the test is reasonable and prudent. The results sent to you in the form of a paper copy. Was it the best bedside manner not informing you of what he was doing? You could make the case there, nothing more than that.

[FONT=Verdana.[/font]

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-02-2012 at 03:13 PM..

Old 12-01-2012, 08:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Okay, enough off topic stuff. Closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer