Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 12:51 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,751,066 times

Advertisements

why is it that only one cancer makes the national spot light, we hear mentioned other cancers on t.v. and what not but nothing to the same extreme coverage and marketing that breast cancer does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 01:11 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
why is it that only one cancer makes the national spot light, we hear mentioned other cancers on t.v. and what not but nothing to the same extreme coverage and marketing that breast cancer does.
Of all the types of cancers, breast cancer accounts for almost 20% of them - by far the largest percentage, so it's logical that you'd see more information about breast cancer than others. I'm not defending Komen, just quoting some statistics.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:39 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
So many people gave me pink ribbon things when I was going through cancer simply because I am a woman - and obviously women only get breast cancer! I appreciated the sentiment, but just because you can't find lavender (Hodgkin's), lime green (lymphoma), or red (blood cancer) ribbons, don't get the pink one instead!

A local restaurant paints the whole place pink for October. It's one of my favorite restaurants but all my cancer survivor friends (including breast cancer!) steer clear - it's just obnoxious. Last October, I popped into a Bed, Bath, and Beyond and was blown away by their breast cancer support display. Pink KitchenAid mixers, frying pans, pasta, and logs that produced a pink flame. How is that really raising awareness?

So little of the money is even going back to breast cancer research or support - cause marketing works by the nonprofit "selling" their branding and "approval" to a company to use for marketing. Those fees range - a smaller, local company could buy the cause marketing rights for a shoestrong local nonprofit (cancer hospital, charity, etc) for as little as $10,000 - that can be a windfall amount for a nonprofit and having their name on a product sells. I think of all of the times I bought Yoplait because of the pink tops rather than buy a cheaper store brand - many of us can say the same.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:49 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
Men get breast cancer also. A smaller percentage but men still get breast cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer