Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:16 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times

Advertisements

OMG I cannot think of a nice way to put this - I'm so annoyed by people coming to the cancer forum to:

A. post news articles about cancer - do they think cancer patients live under a rock and are unaware of the latest breakthrough? We are almost surely more aware of *real* cancer information and updates. I could personally care less about the random articles! There is way too much unsubstantiated information out there, as well as information taken out of context or that only applies to a minority of people. If you don't know what you are talking about, or at least have something intelligent or personal to say about the article you are posting, don't post it!

B. post anything about cancer that they have no experience with! Don't post about chemo treatments if you have not been through it! And no I don't care if your mother/brother/friend went through it! Go post in the Caregiver forum then!

grumble grumble grumble
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 07:39 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
I'm with you on it. I might also gripe about bringing a previous thread back to life saying what has already been said. Your contribution brings nothing, zero, nada to the discussion. You're not doing anyone any favors by rehashing what has already been said.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:47 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,044,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
OMG I cannot think of a nice way to put this grumble grumble grumble
You put it very nicely and I absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately, those who do what you described are "hit and run" posters. They will never see that what they post is of little help to anyone and sadly, there is no way to stop them ... other than the use of the ignore function.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:53 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
The title of the forum is simply "Cancer".

It is not "A Forum Only for People Who Have Been Treated for Cancer."

Sure, some of the threads and posts may not contain anything you personally find informative or helpful, but that does not mean there is no one who does. Why not be inclusive rather than exclusive?

Old 02-16-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The title of the forum is simply "Cancer".

It is not "A Forum Only for People Who Have Been Treated for Cancer."

Sure, some of the threads and posts may not contain anything you personally find informative or helpful, but that does not mean there is no one who does. Why not be inclusive rather than exclusive?
Three out of the four that have posted so far have had cancer, and have been previously treated for cancer. Where we come from is tempered with experience. While it isn't exclusive to those who've been treated for cancer it is a very important component of this section. Our experiences should not be diminished by any means. Those that do post here should be conscious of their audience here, while they attempt to be helpful, contribute nothing.

The hit and run posting a link to a news story does not offer much in the care received. It might promote discussion, but until it becomes standard of treatment or even qualifies for clinical trials it is moot. Often for many who come here are diagnosed with cancer, a friend or family member might be the patient, they come looking for support and advise which it a far better use of this forum IMO.

Those of us who’ve been treated and survived cancer have strong feelings about this for good reason. We are here because we want to pay it forward, while others need support.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:59 AM

With rare exception, I would not go to the Parenting forum (I have a stepson that I did not raise - he was grown when I got him) and start answering questions about parenting, and I would not start posting random articles about parenting. I agree that this forum is not just for people who have had cancer, but for pete's sake, don't post about things you don't know about and share random information from using google or whatever.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
I see both sides to this: yes, it is an open forum and can attract readers that are interested in the subject, but I also think, most who post have a direct contact with cancer, either themselves, there families or very close friends. It is almost like we become part of each others family. So when someone does decide to post a non issue posting many of us wonder why? It is sorta like someone who hates sports or knows nothing about sports going to the sports forum just to post something, even if it is irrelavent. If nothing else, we do wonder why?

Old 02-17-2013, 02:27 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
One of the hit-and-run posters with "news" has the permission of the owner/senior mods to post whatever news he finds. We ignore it if it doesn't interest us.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
One of the hit-and-run posters with "news" has the permission of the owner/senior mods to post whatever news he finds. We ignore it if it doesn't interest us.
While annoying, I generally ignore that one. It is some of the others that, well, . There were some who were way out touch, and part of the reason I pushed for an alternative health section. It is fun to refute their theories with facts.

The bigger beef is those that bump up threads with their one or two sentences of no substance.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:15 AM

I know, I need to just ignore it. Not sure why it bugs me so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer