Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 11:25 AM

48 posts, read 77,470 times

Advertisements

Today is National Dress in Blue Day and the entire month is Colon Cancer Awareness Month!!! I lost my 22yo to colon cancer after a valiant and faithful 3 1/2 year battle. He was never cancer free, but he lived as wonderful life with and in spite of the diagnosis. Today I salute my son, Kalief Raymond Robinson Byrd 11/3/90 - 2/9/13, as well as all the survivors, those currently battling, and those who have lost lives to this disease!!! If you are of screening age, PLEASE get a colonoscopy...early detection saves lives!!! Also, please know that his disease is striking YOUNG ADULTS at an alarming rate...if you or anyone you know has symptoms, RUN, don't walk, to your doctor asap!!! Aside from being Kalief's Mom...I'm also an oncology (cancer) RN of 16 years and we never in a million years thought Kalief was at risk. I don't want to see any parent or anyone else lose a loved one to this disease. Awareness is key!!! Have an awesome day...just because!!! Dee

COLORECTAL CANCER SYMPTOMS
Colorectal cancer first develops with few, if any, symptoms. It is important not to wait for symptoms before talking to your doctor about getting screened. However, if symptoms are present, they may include:

A change in your bowel habits, including diarrhea or constipation or a change in the consistency of your stool
Feeling that your bowel does not empty completely, rectal bleeding, or finding blood (either bright red or very dark) in your stool
Finding your stools are narrower than usual
Persistent abdominal discomfort, such as cramps, gas, pain, or feeling full or bloated
Losing weight with no known reason
Weakness or fatigue
Having nausea or vomiting
These symptoms can also be associated with many other health conditions. Only your doctor can determine why you're having these symptoms. Usually, early cancer does not cause pain. It is important not to wait to feel pain before seeing a doctor.

When to see a doctor

If you notice any symptoms of colon cancer, such as blood in your stool or a persistent change in bowel habits, make an appointment with your doctor.

Talk to your doctor about when you should begin screening for colon cancer. Guidelines generally recommend colon cancer screenings begin at age 50. Your doctor may recommend more frequent or earlier screening if you have other risk factors, such as a family history of the disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 03:04 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,091,155 times
Thank you. My 36 year old son, just had a permanent colostomy due to colorectal cancer. Just this past Friday. There will be more treatment and at this time the path is not yet back, so we do not know staging.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:56 AM

26,894 posts, read 27,096,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinLaVidaLoca View Post
Also, please know that his disease is striking YOUNG ADULTS at an alarming rate...if you or anyone you know has symptoms, RUN, don't walk, to your doctor asap!
I'm so sorry about the loss of your son.

When I was in my doctor's waiting room a couple of months ago, I commented on another patient's t-shirt about cancer and after talking with her, found out she was a colon cancer survivor. She was also young, somewhere in her 30s, and of course the recommended colonoscopy for those over age 50 did not apply to her. She was, however, able to alert her younger siblings, one of whom had a colonoscopy, during which they detected colon cancer and he was able to be treated successfully.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:33 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,884,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinLaVidaLoca View Post
Today is National Dress in Blue Day and the entire month is Colon Cancer Awareness Month!!! I lost my 22yo to colon cancer after a valiant and faithful 3 1/2 year battle. He was never cancer free, but he lived as wonderful life with and in spite of the diagnosis. Today I salute my son, Kalief Raymond Robinson Byrd 11/3/90 - 2/9/13, as well as all the survivors, those currently battling, and those who have lost lives to this disease!!! If you are of screening age, PLEASE get a colonoscopy...early detection saves lives!!! Also, please know that his disease is striking YOUNG ADULTS at an alarming rate...if you or anyone you know has symptoms, RUN, don't walk, to your doctor asap!!! Aside from being Kalief's Mom...I'm also an oncology (cancer) RN of 16 years and we never in a million years thought Kalief was at risk. I don't want to see any parent or anyone else lose a loved one to this disease. Awareness is key!!! Have an awesome day...just because!!! Dee

COLORECTAL CANCER SYMPTOMS
Colorectal cancer first develops with few, if any, symptoms. It is important not to wait for symptoms before talking to your doctor about getting screened. However, if symptoms are present, they may include:

A change in your bowel habits, including diarrhea or constipation or a change in the consistency of your stool
Feeling that your bowel does not empty completely, rectal bleeding, or finding blood (either bright red or very dark) in your stool
Finding your stools are narrower than usual
Persistent abdominal discomfort, such as cramps, gas, pain, or feeling full or bloated
Losing weight with no known reason
Weakness or fatigue
Having nausea or vomiting
These symptoms can also be associated with many other health conditions. Only your doctor can determine why you're having these symptoms. Usually, early cancer does not cause pain. It is important not to wait to feel pain before seeing a doctor.

When to see a doctor

If you notice any symptoms of colon cancer, such as blood in your stool or a persistent change in bowel habits, make an appointment with your doctor.

Talk to your doctor about when you should begin screening for colon cancer. Guidelines generally recommend colon cancer screenings begin at age 50. Your doctor may recommend more frequent or earlier screening if you have other risk factors, such as a family history of the disease.
I am so deeply sorry for your loss. Thank you for helping to spread the word. I'm a youngish CRC survivor and I am interested in finding ways to help spread information so that people know this is NOT an old persons disease. My Surgeon and Oncologist at Duke University Medical Center are seeing an enormous uptick in the number of new cases being diagnosed in young, healthy people with no family history (just like me). If anyone has questions about symptoms or "embarrassing" questions you don't want to ask anyone.....message me. We will talk poop. I am grateful the Lord left me here for a bit longer and I want to do whatever small part I can to help.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:14 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,781,143 times
Livin, I am so sorry for the loss of your son. Thank you for bringing up the issue of young people also getting this disease. I was amongst those who thought it only came with age.

I would add to your comments that if caught early enough colon cancer is very treatable and can even be prevented if pre-cancerous polyps are removed promptly. I just had 5 polyps removed last week, one of which was pre-cancerous, but I'm 63 and so much more typical of when this comes about. Years ago I had an uncle whose colon cancer was caught at age 69 when it was too far gone to even treat. They gave him 2 to 3 months to live. He made it 3.

I would also add that many men are too modest/embarassed to get colonoscopies done and to that I say guys, it's not that big a deal. All anyone is going to see is your butt and for the over 50 crowd we're long past the point where anyone is going to get a thrill out of that. I more feel sorry for the doctor and nurses who have to look at old butts all day long. Because I don't react well to being sedated I did mine without sedation. It didn't hurt in the least, just a little cramping from the colon being inflated. Sedated or not, just do it.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:24 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,783,646 times
I currently have colon cancer with a liver met (the small liver met is the only cancerous thing in my body). I've been "battling" for nearly 4 years. I feel fine luckily and don't look sick at all. I was 44 when diagnosed. I continually hound friends and family to get a colonoscopy - a friend just went and had a precancerous polyp removed. A colonoscopy is NO BIG DEAL and as I say...way better than the alternative. I've had more surgeries, blood drawn, colonoscopies, chemo, doctors appts than I wish on anyone. I just finished my 35th chemo round.

I had no family history and no risk factors (i.e. overweight, bad diet, I exercised, etc.). It's non discriminatory and brutal.

Peace all to have lost loved ones.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:27 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,175,161 times
I am so sorry for all who have had family members, especially very young adults afflicted with any cancer, especially colon. Though most cancers hit older people, we too, have a friend who has a son who is going through colon cancer treatment right now.

thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:35 PM

37,312 posts, read 41,561,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I just had 5 polyps removed last week, one of which was pre-cancerous, but I'm 63 and so much more typical of when this comes about.
Glad to hear about those results, Biker.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:46 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,781,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Glad to hear about those results, Biker.
On account the pre-cancerous one came out in pieces, I get to do a follow-up colonoscopy late summer/early fall to check to make sure it is all gone. When the time comes I'll use it as an opportunity to remind folks to get it done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer