Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 PM

10 posts, read 21,361 times

Advertisements

On March 22, I had a Lumpectomy. I did very well and thought I would soon be starting Radiation then life would go on as usual.
I called the hospital for the biopsy results and found that cancer cells were still there even though the doctor had taken out extra tissue around the tumors.
Yesterday the doctor, who wants to do the second operation very soon, gave me two options which I am to have a decision tomorrow: Redo the surgery and try to get out all the cells and hope they are gone, if not, then do a mastectomy next. He did not say one or both breasts.
OR, we can go ahead now and do the mastectomy and know that there should be nothing left. My questions are: Should I go with the easier operation and hope for the best? Do the mastectomy on one or should he do both breasts?
Should I have reconstruction at the time of surgery? Does Medicare pay for reconstruction? How long is the recuperation period for a mastectomy?
What is the emotional cost for losing one's breasts? I am 74 and in good health except for this.
The whole thing is very scarry, but this is like a second hit on the head. I am so afraid of making the wrong choices and having it turn into something far worse, when it started out as a Stage 1 and then Radiation. I am hoping that I can get a lot of feedback to help me through this.

Thank you so much.

Betty (Michaels' wife)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 05:32 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,802,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelch View Post
On March 22, I had a Lumpectomy. I did very well and thought I would soon be starting Radiation then life would go on as usual.
I called the hospital for the biopsy results and found that cancer cells were still there even though the doctor had taken out extra tissue around the tumors.
Yesterday the doctor, who wants to do the second operation very soon, gave me two options which I am to have a decision tomorrow: Redo the surgery and try to get out all the cells and hope they are gone, if not, then do a mastectomy next. He did not say one or both breasts.
OR, we can go ahead now and do the mastectomy and know that there should be nothing left. My questions are: Should I go with the easier operation and hope for the best? Do the mastectomy on one or should he do both breasts?
Should I have reconstruction at the time of surgery? Does Medicare pay for reconstruction? How long is the recuperation period for a mastectomy?
What is the emotional cost for losing one's breasts? I am 74 and in good health except for this.
The whole thing is very scarry, but this is like a second hit on the head. I am so afraid of making the wrong choices and having it turn into something far worse, when it started out as a Stage 1 and then Radiation. I am hoping that I can get a lot of feedback to help me through this.

Thank you so much.

Betty (Michaels' wife)

I have no answers for you but wishing you well!! I suggest you ask the moderator of this forum to move to the Cancer sub forum so the women who have experienced this can help you. And they will!!

Old 04-03-2013, 06:25 PM

10 posts, read 21,361 times
How do I contact the moderator? Sounds like a good idea, Thanks.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:10 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,959,151 times
Well, you're in the Cancer sub-forum now but I'm not able to give you much help. My particular brand of Ca was in my colon. But I sure do feel sorry that you have this second hit and I hope some of the other posters can jump in here and give you some feedback.

You're wise to do some research before you make your decision, but perhaps a second opinion is in order? Meantime, hugs to you, Betty. Good thoughts coming your way.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:29 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,851,399 times
I had breast cancer in my left breast. I "knew" as soon as I found the lump. I also knew I wanted a double mastectomy - they tried to kill me - off with them! LOL

I was 47 at diagnosis. I did not see the need for reconstruction. I figured at my age perky new boobs wouldn't look right, and why would I want to go through reconstruction for saggy boobs that would look right? (my twisted sense of humor has seen me through all this.

I had thought that going with the most agressive treatment would kick cancer to the curb. I had the bilateral mastectomy, radiation, and chemo. Less than a year after ending treatment I was diagnosed stage IV, with mets to my bones.

I can't in good conscience recommend anything but the most aggressive treatment. I know it didn't save me, but if I wouldn't want to be where I am and be wondering "if only....what if....."

My Mastectomy surgery was no big deal. No. Seriously. When I was moved from recovery to my room I was able to sit up. In fact, I almost immediately got on my laptop! I was released the next day. I had a drain in each suture; they resemble hand grenades. I had to empty them and measure the discharge and write the amounts down. I used a fannypack to carey my grenades around. I wore it under my clothes. I missed two days from work - the day of, and the day after surgery, followed by the weekend, then back to work on Monday. I did have to sleep in my reclyner. I used a Boppy for a pillow, it wrapped nicely around my neck. I think it took a week, maybe 10 days? Can't remember; for the drainage to slow down enough to have the drains removed.

Emotionally I can't say there has been any issue for me. I did a lot of research online. I found this site: BreastFree When I looked at the pictures all I could think was how comfortable they looked without a bra.

There is no one answer to your questions. It's best to make an informed decision, but only YOU know what is the best choice for you.
Whatever you decide, I hope the best for you.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:08 AM

26,748 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
There is no one answer to your questions. It's best to make an informed decision, but only YOU know what is the best choice for you.
That's so true, chele.

My mom developed breast cancer at age 81. After a lot of research and discussion with her doctor, she elected to have a single mastectomy. She did have a lot of complications with the drain, but we we felt that some of it was due to lack of follow up in the hospital. She decided not to have reconstructive surgery. She's doing well, four years later.

To the OP, I hope that all goes well for you.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelch View Post

Thank you so much.

Betty (Michaels' wife)
I am so sorry and of course it is scarry..No one can make the decision for you, I will just tell you what a gal from our church recently decided to do. She happens to be my bridge partner as well. Anyway, she is a couple years younger than you, I don 't know if hers was stage 1 or what, but she choose the mastectomy and had both breast removed for safe measure. Within a couple of weeks she was back playing bridge and back in church...She said there was very little pain and the cancer was 100% gone. yes, it is a big decision and yes, it is an emotional time, but I am sure you will do what is best for you. Keep us posted.

Nita

Old 04-04-2013, 08:34 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,099,804 times
Hello Betty, and welcome. I am also a breast cancer survivor. It is frustrating when there is no obvious better choice. First of all, do not feel pressured to make a decision in 48 hours. Frankly, that is ridiculous. I know this feels like an emergency, but likely it is not. Many women take days or even weeks to consider their options, and perhaps get second opinions. If you are not sure, I would cancel your appointment for tomorrow and see about getting a second opinion. I am a big believer in second opinions.
All things being equal (if your doctor[s] say they are) I would personally do another lumpectomy than a mastectomy. A mastectomy is harder to recover from, physically and emotionally. I was back at work 10 days after my mastectomy - but I was 33 years old. Emotionally it has been very, very hard. I am fortunate that for my kind of cancer, there was no benefit to having the other breast removed, so I was able to keep my "good" breast, which I preferred to do.
All insurances are required by federal law to cover reconstruction, including Medicare. Reconstruction is also no walk in the park. Many women do reconstruction immediately after mastectomy but that is not an option for everyone, especially when radiation is involved. It was not an option for me; mine is scheduled for this summer. If you do decide to have a mastectomy, then before you agree to anything you will want to consult with a reconstruction surgeon. The doctor who did your lumpectomy may not do them, and even if he/she does, you may prefer to use a different surgeon. Reconstruction is a big deal no matter what sort of reconstruction option you choose, and you want a surgeon that mostly does breast reconstruction for breast cancer patients.
Best of luck to you. I know this is scary; I am happy for you that it was caught at stage I.
Also, if you like to read, I would recommend Dr. Susan Love's The Breast Book. It is an amazing source of information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer