Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 02:15 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times

Advertisements

I have decided to post this map that shows the incidence of prostate cancer and mortality rates by regions around the world. I noticed that even in the tropical regions where inhabitants are exposed to long hours of sunlight (the relation of sunlight and vitamin D as an anti-cancer product), the incidence of prostate cancer and mortality rates are the same or higher than in other regions around the world where inhabitants are not exposed to the same degree of sunlight. You will notice that the regions with the lowest number of prostate cancer are in Asia (central Asia, India, etc.).

For us to ask ourselves: why the huge number of prostate cancer in the West, and not in Asia?

Yes, I understand that nobody has a definite answer

GLOBOCAN Cancer Fact Sheets: Prostate Cancer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 01:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I have decided to post this map that shows the incidence of prostate cancer and mortality rates by regions around the world. I noticed that even in the tropical regions where inhabitants are exposed to long hours of sunlight (the relation of sunlight and vitamin D as an anti-cancer product), the incidence of prostate cancer and mortality rates are the same or higher than in other regions around the world where inhabitants are not exposed to the same degree of sunlight. You will notice that the regions with the lowest number of prostate cancer are in Asia (central Asia, India, etc.).

For us to ask ourselves: why the huge number of prostate cancer in the West, and not in Asia?

Yes, I understand that nobody has a definite answer

GLOBOCAN Cancer Fact Sheets: Prostate Cancer
of course we don't know, but I am glad you shared the map. My guess, prostate cancer seems to be hereditary or, like many cancers runs in families. If the gene doesn't seem to be in Asians, that would be part of the reason. I think when we learn the answers to these questions, we will be able to eliminate the disease or certainly reduce the chances of developing it.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:29 PM

2,976 posts, read 1,564,012 times
Diet has a huge impact on cancers. "The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell details groups who had a very low rate of just about any cancer under a vegan diet rose to identical rates as people living where there is a meat and dairy product western based diet within two generations under that diet. His following book "Fork Over Knives" and video examines the toll animal fats and processed foods takes on one's health, not just cancer.

This is an interesting video put out by Nutrition Facts.

Cancer Reversal Though Diet.

I was diagnosed with a early stage Gleason 3 + 4 in 2010 after a 4.34 PSA, and have been on Active Surveillance. A repeated biopsy in 2012, unchanged from the first. I occasionally do eat meat, mostly salmon or tuna, but my diet is more fruits and vegetables. I take liberal amounts of Omega 3 Fish Oil, Curcumin, Vitamin D3, and Odorless Garlic Supplements. A couple months ago I had an extremely through digital rectal examination, same doctor who was ready to schedule a prostatectomy on the spot after the diagnosis, couldn't feel any cancer. PSA a few days ago, 4.11, and it has it's ups and downs, but a least it's not spiking upwards.

Welcome To IPCSG

Old 05-08-2013, 08:32 PM

I congratulate you. It seems that you are being careful with your die at, and this is working for you.

I don't think anybody know exactly what to do other than a balanced diet to prevent prostate cancer. Remember Steve Jobs? He was a vegetarian for several years, but a pancreatic cancer killed him.

But diet probably helps the immune system slow the progression of cancer. In China the diet includes meats, lots of fish, and lots of veggies. But unlike in the West, their veggies are truly "organic" A lot of our agricultural products are genetically modified, and the use of hormones are widely used in our meats, although some of these products have been introduced to the Chinese food products in recent years.

It would be interesting to know what the Chinese scientific community has to say relating to the low rate of prostate cancer in central China and some of their neighbors.

This seems to be a good medical report about prostate cancer, drugs, foods, etc.:
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/canc...r-risk-factors

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-08-2013 at 09:03 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 10:47 PM

2,976 posts, read 1,564,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I congratulate you. It seems that you are being careful with your die at, and this is working for you.

I don't think anybody know exactly what to do other than a balanced diet to prevent prostate cancer. Remember Steve Jobs? He was a vegetarian for several years, but a pancreatic cancer killed him.

But diet probably helps the immune system slow the progression of cancer. In China the diet includes meats, lots of fish, and lots of veggies. But unlike in the West, their veggies are truly "organic" A lot of our agricultural products are genetically modified, and the use of hormones are widely used in our meats, although some of these products have been introduced to the Chinese food products in recent years.

It would be interesting to know what the Chinese scientific community has to say relating to the low rate of prostate cancer in central China and some of their neighbors.

This seems to be a good medical report about prostate cancer, drugs, foods, etc.:
Prostate cancer risk factors : Cancer Research UK
Interesting article. I am now 59 and neither overweight, bald, and am otherwise healthy other than a long preexisting eye condition (Keratoconus). I do have an uncle who had urinary problems before he was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer about 6 or 7 years ago. He went through radiation treatments back then and just turned 80. The cancer was cured but his quality of life hasn't been too good.

Pancreatic Cancer is more aggressive, and Melanoma killed my father a decade ago after surviving Colon Cancer for 25 years when he was a few years younger than I am. I was much more worried about those cancers but given a free bill of health through regular visits to a dermatologist and two colonoscopies. Then I submitted to a biopsy after an elevated PSA thinking I was in the clear there as well. Being told some of my samples had cancer was not expected. I had a more healthier lifestyle for about 8 years prior, and did more strenuous exercise than most people close to my age, however I have no way of knowing the quantity of pesticides, herbicides, preservatives, hormones and other crap in the food I consumed.

It's a nation crime that there is little effort at quality control in the food that is allowed to be sold to people in this country. I think you will find this article below on Ground Turkey really disgusting, and there are so many other food products in markets that haven't been tested but should be.

Ground Turkey | Food Safety - Consumer Reports Investigation

Old 05-09-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshaton View Post
Interesting article. I am now 59 and neither overweight, bald, and am otherwise healthy other than a long preexisting eye condition (Keratoconus). I do have an uncle who had urinary problems before he was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer about 6 or 7 years ago. He went through radiation treatments back then and just turned 80. The cancer was cured but his quality of life hasn't been too good.

Pancreatic Cancer is more aggressive, and Melanoma killed my father a decade ago after surviving Colon Cancer for 25 years when he was a few years younger than I am. I was much more worried about those cancers but given a free bill of health through regular visits to a dermatologist and two colonoscopies. Then I submitted to a biopsy after an elevated PSA thinking I was in the clear there as well. Being told some of my samples had cancer was not expected. I had a more healthier lifestyle for about 8 years prior, and did more strenuous exercise than most people close to my age, however I have no way of knowing the quantity of pesticides, herbicides, preservatives, hormones and other crap in the food I consumed.

It's a nation crime that there is little effort at quality control in the food that is allowed to be sold to people in this country. I think you will find this article below on Ground Turkey really disgusting, and there are so many other food products in markets that haven't been tested but should be.

Ground Turkey | Food Safety - Consumer Reports Investigation
That's quite an article. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:33 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
According to that map, and the chart above it - the USA has the lowest percentage of deaths per incidence. So yes, we have more people who -get- prostrate cancer. But in other countries, a lot more people die, per 100 cancer patients. In the USA it's fairly small - 28 out of 186. The next lowest is almost double that.

Also consider - there are more people in "North America" than in the other areas they mentioned. So of course there are more people who -can- get prostate cancer. They don't distinguish between USA and Canada - they lump the two together as a single unit.

Also consider - parts of China don't report information to WHO. And so the actual total might be much higher. They tell WHO what they want to tell them. But what's scary is - of the 33 incidences reported - almost half of them resulted in death.

In India, only 14 were reported - but remember that in India, many people don't go to the doctor, and so many people might have prostate cancer, and even die from it, and no doctor would ever know, and it would never get reported. But the scary thing about the 14 that -were- reported is - 10 resulted in death. That's around 80% death rate for prostate cancer.

North America is practically "healthy" compared to these percentages of of reported incidences resulting in death.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 PM

472 posts, read 570,425 times
I'm relieved this thread isn't what I read it as ... I thought it was prostate cancer / morality rate. Haha, sometimes not wearing my reading glasses is amusing.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
According to that map, and the chart above it - the USA has the lowest percentage of deaths per incidence. So yes, we have more people who -get- prostrate cancer. But in other countries, a lot more people die, per 100 cancer patients. In the USA it's fairly small - 28 out of 186. The next lowest is almost double that.

Also consider - there are more people in "North America" than in the other areas they mentioned. So of course there are more people who -can- get prostate cancer. They don't distinguish between USA and Canada - they lump the two together as a single unit.

Also consider - parts of China don't report information to WHO. And so the actual total might be much higher. They tell WHO what they want to tell them. But what's scary is - of the 33 incidences reported - almost half of them resulted in death.

In India, only 14 were reported - but remember that in India, many people don't go to the doctor, and so many people might have prostate cancer, and even die from it, and no doctor would ever know, and it would never get reported. But the scary thing about the 14 that -were- reported is - 10 resulted in death. That's around 80% death rate for prostate cancer.

North America is practically "healthy" compared to these percentages of of reported incidences resulting in death.
Read the other link I posted since it will clarify a lot of things for you:
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/canc...r-risk-factors

Old 05-10-2013, 08:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

I think we all need to relax and not take any of these studies too seriously. Like you mentioned, often countries do not report everything for starters. We have better diagnostic tools so diseases, regardless as to which ones are more often picked up in America. Plus there are so many parts of any study that we might not understand. This has been pointed out, but often overlooked by those who choose to not pay attention: our death rate compared to other countries is high, but other countries do not report every still born, etc. like we do; we are always hearing our kids are not as prepared for college or don't attend college at the same rate as say, the Asians, what is forgotten, many kids in other countries do not even attend school, only certain kids are allowed or encouraged to go to school or they only go to school for a few years; our kids are required to stay in school until they are 16. Everyone has to understand the differences in our system and that of other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer