Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 10:43 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times

Advertisements

I was diagnosed with Melanoma (T2b) almost three years ago. I had the biopsy on a Tuesday, got the call confirming the malignancy on Thursday and was in surgery on Tuesday. Total time from biopsy to removal was 7 days. I got the impression that hurrying along was pretty standard with surgery based treatment for cancer.

Does anyone know how quickly they would move along with a diagnosis of Endometrial cancer? Very early stages...thinking it will be cured via surgery (hysterectomy). Is it uncommon with this type of cancer to have a couple months go by between diagnosis and surgery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 11:53 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I had uterine cancer last year. I was diagnosed around October but did not have my surgery until January. The main reason for the wait is that my OB/GYN felt I would get better care going to a gynecological oncologist and that took awhile to get an appointment with her. They did a complete hysterectomy and the cancer was confined to a small section of the uterus and they were able to get it all during the surgery. I was also able to have robotic surgery with several smaller incisions as opposed to a large incision. You also have a much quicker recovery with robotic surgery and I was only in the hospital until the day after surgery.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:31 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
I was diagnosed with breast cancer on 5/13 and had surgery on 6/3.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:24 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
It took a week from the time they first ultrasounded the lump and visited with the doctor to the surgery. After the surgery 3 days later they called with the results. Yes, it was cancer. Then a couple weeks later I was in visiting with an oncologist coming up with a game plan.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:24 AM

21 posts, read 33,912 times
I was diagnosed with Colon Cancer stage 3 on June 23 and when the Dr come in to see me there was a Surgeon with him! I asked the Surgeon if he had any openings on his calendar he said he was open for June 25 2 days away and I had a complete Colon Resection with removal tumor and approximately 14" of my Colon! I'm am now going thru Chemo!

Old 08-20-2013, 09:22 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
Different cancers are known to be more or less aggressive, although all are very serious of course. If you have this concern, I would suggest calling your surgeon and asking them to confirm that it is safe to wait so long. The wait for surgery is emotionally brutal. But having the right surgeon can mean waiting a little bit.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
It took a week from the time they first ultrasounded the lump and visited with the doctor to the surgery. After the surgery 3 days later they called with the results. Yes, it was cancer. Then a couple weeks later I was in visiting with an oncologist coming up with a game plan.
that is close to what hubby went through with his lipo sarcoma. The doctor got the results before we left the hospital 2 days later. The following week we met with him and saw the oncologist about a week or so later. At that time, 3 years ago there was no treatment that had proven beneficial except surgery. When the cancer returned, they had developed a better radiation. After they removed the cancer a second time they did radiation for 7 1/2 weeks. So far he is cancer free. With the prostrate cancer they took more time from the first PSA results, til the biopsy and even the treatment. Of course we all know prostate cancer is slow growing and he is much older, so there was no rush. We decided against surgery, based on studying we did and his doctors advise. He did have the seeds implanted and radiation as well as hormones. He has had some side effects, but, again, is cancer free right now.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:24 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Four days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer