Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 04:37 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
i think your right SBIU. one thing i will DREAD more than anything else is vomiting which is a very real possibility, and i already have chronic nausea/panic attacks as an issue, tho the doc doesn't think its cancer related (tho if it has spread to the brain i don't know...)
Try not to get ahead of yourself rlrl - you will only increase the likelihood of nausea if you are convinced you are going to have it.

There are great medications to combat nausea. Just talk to your doctor and the nurses to be sure they understand this is a big concern of yours. Ask the doctor to be proactive and write an order for somethiing ahead of time just in case you need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 05:38 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times
youre right. another way i can look at it is to be thankful i was informed that it MIGHT happen(tho 2 doctors already told me that it is actually LESS COMMON) so i wont be shocked if it does, and that there are WORSE side effects that can happen.

its just that to me being nauseous is just about the worst thing that can happen and i haven't thrown up since 1993. i get nauseous at the drop of a hat but i never throw up

Old 08-10-2013, 06:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
youre right. another way i can look at it is to be thankful i was informed that it MIGHT happen(tho 2 doctors already told me that it is actually LESS COMMON) so i wont be shocked if it does, and that there are WORSE side effects that can happen.

its just that to me being nauseous is just about the worst thing that can happen and i haven't thrown up since 1993. i get nauseous at the drop of a hat but i never throw up
it won't do you any good to worry about the side effects and remember, they tell you what can happen, so if it does happen you don't panic. With my husbands radiation we knew all the possible things to expect. He didn't have a single problem. What he did have, was problem after the radiation. He wasn't totally prepared but none of his problems were life threatening nor did it affect our lives that much.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:52 PM

what worries me now is that i have noticed an ache in my upper middle and lower back. and my left fingers are tingling. i have always had pulled muscles and pinched nerves that come and go from poor sitting positions at the computer. often with walking the situation improves but what worries me now is could this have metasthesized into the spine or bones? its possible because this is where a melanoma can go. im reading that symptoms of a spinal tumor can be what i am experiencing. what is good is that walking around usually makes it go away whereas sitting at the computer worsens it. i am just so terrified at developing symptoms over the next few weeks before the treatment starts

i mean it could also be from the surgery from last year thats doing it but i am getting suspicious. thank god i am actually working tomorrow which will take my mind off this

Old 08-10-2013, 07:20 PM

i just took a hot shower it seemed to help the aches around the back. see, we still have to determine via tests how far it's spread. i know it can go to the brain or liver or spine/bones. in my being super vigilant in looking for symptoms i am making myself nervous. i am worried that it could already be in the spine or brain. i have read that in a brain met. you can have nausea and i just felt nauseous before but i think its just nerves.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:40 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
what worries me now is that i have noticed an ache in my upper middle and lower back. and my left fingers are tingling. i have always had pulled muscles and pinched nerves that come and go from poor sitting positions at the computer. often with walking the situation improves but what worries me now is could this have metasthesized into the spine or bones? its possible because this is where a melanoma can go. im reading that symptoms of a spinal tumor can be what i am experiencing. what is good is that walking around usually makes it go away whereas sitting at the computer worsens it. i am just so terrified at developing symptoms over the next few weeks before the treatment starts

i mean it could also be from the surgery from last year thats doing it but i am getting suspicious. thank god i am actually working tomorrow which will take my mind off this
You know what rlrl? It's time to stop reading up on all this stuff on the internet.

At this point you know all you need to know about your condition, right?

Continuing to look things up is only going to add to your anxiety level.

Right now you don't need extra worries and there is such as thing as information overload.

Whatever is happening in your body is already happening and you are already scheduled for treatment so the time for gathering more info is over

Concentrate instead of finding some peace okay?

There is a real connection between inner peace and good health. We all heal better and faster when we are not full of anxiety.

If you want to do any more research, research THIS to help you come up with coping strategies for achieving some inner peace.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:03 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
Well sure you can bring clothes to change into but you may feel more comfortable wearing hospital gowns. The nurses will be glad to change you into a fresh one whenever you like. Staying in the hospital is more convenient than being at home - if you have any sort of side effect, you've got nurses and doctors right there to order you up whatever you need, right away, to get you through it.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:13 AM

with this treatment (Il 2) you have to be in the hospital 100%. if im lucky i would only have bad flu like symptoms. but there are many many other symptoms that could happen and theyre awful.... i read a personal account by a patient. it sounded awful but in the end it was worth it

you get an IV line for 15 minutes every 8 hours for a maximum of 14 treatments for 5 days. you can then go home 8-12 hours after your last treatment. you rest up for about a week

a month later you go for imaging tests. if progress has been made they offer you another treatment. if you accept, you go back 6-12 weeks after the first treatment. but you don't get as many treatments, more like only 8

then youre done

Old 08-11-2013, 08:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You know what rlrl? It's time to stop reading up on all this stuff on the internet.

At this point you know all you need to know about your condition, right?

Continuing to look things up is only going to add to your anxiety level.

Right now you don't need extra worries and there is such as thing as information overload.

Whatever is happening in your body is already happening and you are already scheduled for treatment so the time for gathering more info is over

Concentrate instead of finding some peace okay?

There is a real connection between inner peace and good health. We all heal better and faster when we are not full of anxiety.

If you want to do any more research, research THIS to help you come up with coping strategies for achieving some inner peace.
You are so right about putting the internet reading away for now. As our granddaughter, who is a couple months away from becoming a nurse practitioner says, the net is great for a quick overview, but it is way to general and can do more harm than good when people start reading it constantly. My husbands surgeon said the same: great to try and help a person understand their body or illness, but leave the diagnoses part to the doctor, as well as the treatment to the doctor.

Whatever has happened with your cancer, has happened, you are not going to change it, by reading and reading. All you are doing now, is making yourself sick. Yes, it is good you will be working tomorrow. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:05 AM

i know i know. the 'net can be a source of pleasure and relaxation and then only a click away from the opposite as we all know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer