Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 11:59 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,810,075 times

Advertisements

Not to make like of a cancer situation, dear friend was told she has lung cancer, inoperable; she is 73 years young. Asked about my husband who died last year, age 65 from esophagus cancer. She wanted to know how long he was in the nursing home---three weeks. My DH, I couldn't move him, help him move from one place to another.

My friend says she has no appetite. Her daughter wants her to eat. My husband only would take liquids during his last three weeks on Earth. To me, his body was busy transitioning my husband for Heaven.

No appetite, your opinion?

Thank you for your care as this Forum has been a blessing to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 07:36 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
Any of the protein drinks will help. Check the protein content on Ensure, Muscle Milk, etc. Find the highest count in a flavor she likes. Good luck!

Oh and for solids that tasre more like a treat, protein bars are good. I prefer the Pro brand as it has the most protein and fewest carbs but that doesn't matter in her case.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:07 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,889 times
If she has no appetite it will be hard to get her to eat. Proper nutrition is a moot point at this stage. Tempt her with all her favorites.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
and I say, see if she will drink some nutritious drinks, but let her decide just what she does and doesn't want. Maybe she knows what others do not realize, maybe she prefers not to prolong this: who knows, but it is really hard to get someone, who has not appetite to eat.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:52 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
It is normal at end of life to not have an appetite. Your body does not need the nutrition any longer and will not be able to process it well. It is also normal in our culture to want to encourage our loved ones to eat when they are ill. I think it's okay for the daughter to encourage mom to eat, but there is no sense in trying to force it. She will only feel ill from it if she forces herself to eat. That's hard to accept though, when it's someone you love and want to keep here.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:41 PM

34 posts, read 32,407 times
Sorry to know about you.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:46 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
I read a long time ago so don't remember the source, that when people stop eating at the end of their life, it helps with the pain and you should follow their lead on this. I know how hard it is to watch someone starve themselves to death though b/c we had that with mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer