Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:18 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times

Advertisements

That's an old, but interesting thread. To share my experience: last year I got a serious autoimmune disease and the naturopath I went to tested my vit D level. Turned out I was severely deficient! Funny thing is I don't use sunscreen on a regular basis and I live in Tucson, AZ, for Pete's sake! I think that, along with artificial sweeteners, might've caused my problem. I take vit D in liquid form now. That's what I use:

Biotics Research, Bio-D Mulsion Forte 1 fl oz | healthdesigns.com (http://www.healthdesigns.com/biotics-research-bio-d-mulsion-forte-1-fl-oz.html - broken link)

It has a not particularly pleasant bland taste, but it's not that bad.

Btw, after drastically changing my diet, not touching artificial sweeteners, and keeping my vit D level up, I've been functioning on my own for almost 8 months, knock wood, after being on horrible steroids (Prednisone) for some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 06:35 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
How much vitamin D, calcium is right? - CNN.com

Old 02-27-2011, 02:04 PM

23 posts, read 83,013 times
They've done studies that show that many women with breast cancer have low vit D levels. I've had it and my oncologist told me to take 2000 mg/day.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:40 PM

410 posts, read 832,959 times
I had cancer, and my D levels were low side of normal. Onc still wants me to take 1200 mg day. Be careful, is a fat soluble vitamin, so if you DONT need it and take too much, can cause problems.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:27 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,440,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
I had cancer, and my D levels were low side of normal.
Do you mind if I ask you what was "low side of normal"?
My last physical showed a level of 29, with a normal range considered 25-80.

I thought it was quite low but the Dr. didn't mention anything.
I never had cancer and also don't have a family history of cancer but this illness along with flying (being in a plane) send terrible, terrible shivers down my spine.
I guess I have unresolved mortality-related issues, could be midlife crisis (38), I don't know; ...but do you think these levels are low?

If yes, should I take some supplements and how much?

Thank you so much, do not mean to high-jack the thread.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:05 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
If 25 is the low end of normal, and you're at 29, then you're within normal. Consider it this way: if you had toxic levels, then you'd be in trouble. At lower levels, you can always take a supplement, or spend an extra 10 minutes a day in the sun. Or alternate - 10 minutes in the sun one day, and if it's raining the next, take a *low* dosage supplement. Or even just a glass of milk with vitamin D added. Remember, you're already within the normal range, so you wouldn't want to take any kind of dose to "fix a problem." You just want to maintain your normal.

I'm guessing you're not in any danger of developing rickets - and supposedly, 30 is an "optimal" number so you're probably right where you need to be.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:21 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,440,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If 25 is the low end of normal, and you're at 29, then you're within normal. Consider it this way: if you had toxic levels, then you'd be in trouble. At lower levels, you can always take a supplement, or spend an extra 10 minutes a day in the sun. Or alternate - 10 minutes in the sun one day, and if it's raining the next, take a *low* dosage supplement. Or even just a glass of milk with vitamin D added. Remember, you're already within the normal range, so you wouldn't want to take any kind of dose to "fix a problem." You just want to maintain your normal.

I'm guessing you're not in any danger of developing rickets - and supposedly, 30 is an "optimal" number so you're probably right where you need to be.
Thank you, AnonChick. As always, nice, reassuring replies.
You have a real talent of making everything sound OK.

When the test was done, I had been in Massachusetts for 5 months, since January (all sun-less months, mainly in the house). We had moved from the South where I never gave a thought to Vitamin D.
I was all about C at the time.

I will make sure to spend more time outdoors and take my supplement until we will relocate back South where we want to be (hopefully in 4-5 months).

Old 03-02-2011, 05:59 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
If you're going to take supplements anyway, I would suggest adding calcium as well. Just a single "extra strength" TUMs in your choice of flavors is all you need. Vitamin D doesn't require calcium, but calcium does require vitamin D to bind in the system properly. So if you're doing the D anyway, might as well take advantage of it and do the calcium. Good for your bones and all that.

And don't forget the sunscreen if you're going to be in the Southern sun for more than 10-15 minutes!

Old 03-02-2011, 12:17 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I will make sure to spend more time outdoors and take my supplement until we will relocate back South where we want to be (hopefully in 4-5 months).
I live in the South (NC) and we're outdoors ALL the time, especially during baseball and soccer season. We are out on the boat all summer too. I use very minimal sunscreen (on my face, chest and shoulders only) and it didn't help me.

I was Vit. D deficient (18...normal range for the lab was 30-80).

I have fair skin with freckles and dark hair and eyes...not sure if that makes a difference.

I was taking a supplement once a week and it brought my levels up, but not enough so now I'm on 50,000IU twice a week. I go for bloodwork again at the end of March so hopefully that has fixed this issue.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:03 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I've heard that too.
I take a teas. of cod liver oil daily. Full of vitamin D.
(I don't have cancer but every little bit helps)
Wow song. That just seems so eerie that you posted on this thread then ended up with cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer