Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you use baby powder after shower for female private parts?
yes, I use baby powder on private parts, but I didn't know about getting ovarian cancer from it. 1 8.33%
yes, I used baby powder on private parts, but I don't worry about getting ovarian cancer from it. 1 8.33%
yes, I used baby powder on private parts and got ovarian cancer from it. 1 8.33%
no, I don't use baby powder on private parts. 9 75.00%
I heard from others who got ovarian cancer from using baby powder. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 05:09 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times

Advertisements

No. Your concerns are unfounded. If as you assert it lodged itself into your body you'd be sick.

Talcum powder poisoning: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 05:12 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
need some help here for the following 2 questions.

I'm kind of stuck on this below (in quotes) in terms of the percentage increase, what does it mean by baby powder (BP) increases 30% in ovarian, but the risk only increases from 1.6% to 1.8%, how can 30% turn out to be 1.8%? 1.8% sounds a lot more pleasant than a 30% increase. sorry that I might seem not to bright on this calculation. I don't know how that calculation was done.

2. they said those who had their ovarian removed and if their ovarian cancer was caused by BP, BP(talc) will be found in the ovary, but how do they prove that the BP (talc) was the particle source to form the tumors and not due to other reasons to cause the tumor to form, but just so happen the BP (talc) was just happened to be on the tumor? I know this might be too difficult to answer.

3. I will stop using BP, but after using it for 20+ years, I am very fearful now that it might be too late and I would have tons of talc stuck in my ovary.

quoted. "
16 studies published before 2003 found about a 30% increase in ovarian risk among talc users. The average woman's lifetime risk of ovarian cancer is about 1.4%, so even with a 30% increase, her lifetime risk would be about 1.8%. "
One of the difficult things for people without a statistics background to understand is the difference between relative risk and absolute risk.

Here, the relative risk is the 30% increase, which sounds like a lot. But what that means is that the actual number of women potentially affected by the talc is 0.3 times the average: 1.4% times 0.3 is 0.42%. We now have to add that increase to the baseline overall average: 1.4% + 0.42% = 1.82%.

So overall about 14 women in a thousand will get ovarian cancer, and about 18 in a thousand exposed to talc will get cancer. The absolute risk we can attribute to talc would be 18-14= 4 in a thousand. Very small.

That is if that 30% increased risk is even true, and there are researchers who doubt it.

Perineal talc use and ovarian cancer: a cr... [Eur J Cancer Prev. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

Perineal talc use and ovarian cancer risk:... [Eur J Cancer Prev. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Perineal application of cosmetic talc... [Anticancer Res. 2003 Mar-Apr] - PubMed - NCBI

Remember that a correlation does not prove a causation. The most recent evidence is that talc most likely does not cause ovarian cancer.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
No. Your concerns are unfounded. If as you assert it lodged itself into your body you'd be sick.

Talcum powder poisoning: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

Talc applied to the female perineum can make its way through the cervix, into the uterus, and out the tubes into the internal pelvic area.

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/con...4/991.full.pdf

It can do so without causing any symptoms at all. This is different from repeatedly inhaling baby powder or ingesting it.

There are also medical uses for talc inside the body. Those uses have not been associated with cancers.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:36 PM

23 posts, read 36,260 times
[quote=suzy_q2010;36538482]One of the difficult things for people without a statistics background to understand is the difference between relative risk and absolute risk.

Here, the relative risk is the 30% increase, which sounds like a lot. But what that means is that the actual number of women potentially affected by the talc is 0.3 times the average: 1.4% times 0.3 is 0.42%. We now have to add that increase to the baseline overall average: 1.4% + 0.42% = 1.82%.

So overall about 14 women in a thousand will get ovarian cancer, and about 18 in a thousand exposed to talc will get cancer. The absolute risk we can attribute to talc would be 18-14= 4 in a thousand. Very small.

Great stats explanation. Thanks.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:51 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,764,865 times
People put baby powder on their privates?

Why.....?

Never done this in all my 5 decades of existence.

Never used BP on my kids either.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:30 AM

546 posts, read 2,203,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Talc applied to the female perineum can make its way through the cervix, into the uterus, and out the tubes into the internal pelvic area.

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/con...4/991.full.pdf

It can do so without causing any symptoms at all. This is different from repeatedly inhaling baby powder or ingesting it.

There are also medical uses for talc inside the body. Those uses have not been associated with cancers.
I don't know the women who found talc in their ovary cancer tumor and file law suit, how exactly did they apply the baby powder? I've been putting the baby powder on my underwear, I never forced it inside of me, but by sitting down, is it possible that it still could travel all in way in to my ovaries? I don't think it's possible. is there a test to see if I do have talc in my ovaries?

Old 09-18-2014, 12:36 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The association between powder and ovarian cancer appears weak, and causation has not been established.
True. We live in a litigious society, unfortunately.
(And it's odd people would assume that talc could cause ovarian cancer, but not uterine or cervical cancer...)
Lawsuit Blames Johnson & Johnson's Talcum Powder For Ovarian Cancer

("Perineal talc use has been associated with an increased risk of ovarian cancer in a number of case-control studies; however, this association remains controversial because of limited supporting biologic evidence and...")http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/conte...3/249.abstract

Old 09-18-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
I don't know the women who found talc in their ovary cancer tumor and file law suit, how exactly did they apply the baby powder? I've been putting the baby powder on my underwear, I never forced it inside of me, but by sitting down, is it possible that it still could travel all in way in to my ovaries? I don't think it's possible. is there a test to see if I do have talc in my ovaries?
Most women apply it directly to the skin, but contact between the skin and your underwear would enable it to migrate into the vagina.

There is no test short of surgically removing the ovaries to tell if talc is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
True. We live in a litigious society, unfortunately.
(And it's odd people would assume that talc could cause ovarian cancer, but not uterine or cervical cancer...)
Lawsuit Blames Johnson & Johnson's Talcum Powder For Ovarian Cancer

("Perineal talc use has been associated with an increased risk of ovarian cancer in a number of case-control studies; however, this association remains controversial because of limited supporting biologic evidence and...")Prospective Study of Talc Use and Ovarian Cancer
Yeah, I don't know how successful those suits will be when there are experts who will testify that the correlation does not prove causation.

In this case, talc was found in the patient's tumor, which might be a more compelling argument for causation:

Jury Ties J&J Talc Powder to Ovarian Cancer

Old 09-21-2014, 08:20 AM

128 posts, read 207,649 times
I used to use it all the time but then I became allergic to everything "Scented" so I needed to use unscented things..like cornstarch. Now I don't use anything at all, because I have open/draining wounds from a serious skin disease...but I did find vagisil powder to be very helpful with itching and burning. Even though it has a scent to it, it is hypoallergenic.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:55 PM

546 posts, read 2,203,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemoangel View Post
I used to use it all the time but then I became allergic to everything "Scented" so I needed to use unscented things..like cornstarch. Now I don't use anything at all, because I have open/draining wounds from a serious skin disease...but I did find vagisil powder to be very helpful with itching and burning. Even though it has a scent to it, it is hypoallergenic.
did you used to put BP in between your
inner side of your legs to keep dry and so like when I walk, it's more comfortable,
I also put some in my butt area. however, I put a lot and a lot goes to my underwear.
Was this how you applied it before too and do u worry about getting OC from doing so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer