Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
To go more off of what nmnita said, encourage your friend to talk to her doctor about anti-anxiety medications. What she is feeling is totally normal. I was initially very against additional medication and help off taking anti-anxiety medication until the middle of treatment. What a mistake! The medication just brought me back to my *normal* healthy level of anxiety and concern, not feeling like I was teetering on the brink of a panic attack (if I wasn't already on one) like I had since I was first diagnosed!

And know that listening *is* helping, even if it doesn't seem it! Some people (myself included) just needed to hear myself say it out loud over and over. I'm sure it was emotionally grueling for those close to me, especially since it didn't really calm me down. It still feels validating and cathartic to talk it out.

There are *so* many support groups and activity groups out there. The support groups never really helped me, but going out and doing things/being social with other survivors has been my way of coping. The ACS considers someone a survivor from the moment they hear "you have cancer." Livestrong has special classes at many YMCAs: LIVESTRONG at the YMCA | What We Do | LIVESTRONG.org. Some areas have dragon boat programs to help with lymphadema for people with breast cancer (I've always been jealous!). She might not be ready for it now, but surrounding myself with survivors is something that is very helpful for many people.
Heck, I am not part of a support group at all, but in our bridge group of 8, 4 of us are cancer survivors and we do give each other support. Our original group stated about 6 years ago and 6 of us were cancer survivors. Since then, one gal did drop out of the bridge group to be with her ill husband and the other passed away, but until the last month of her life she kept a positive attitude and continued playing. She was an inspiration to all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 10:14 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,614 times
Good to hear all the experiences and suggestions. She has no interest in a support group right now, maybe in the future. It's been very helpful for her to talk with an acquaintance who has been in the same situation as her, and got through it. We both had a great time at lunch and plan to have more frequent get-togethers to talk. Even if the restaurant staff gives us the stink- eye.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Good to hear all the experiences and suggestions. She has no interest in a support group right now, maybe in the future. It's been very helpful for her to talk with an acquaintance who has been in the same situation as her, and got through it. We both had a great time at lunch and plan to have more frequent get-togethers to talk. Even if the restaurant staff gives us the stink- eye.
Glad to hear you enjoyed your lunch and time with your friend. My guess, she will adjust and get over her fears and anxieties as time goes by. Just getting out and talking often is the secret. I do remember when I had my cancer I was a young mother with a 3 year old and had just had a premee that had not made it. I was way too busy to dwell on the cancer, plus too young to fully believe I had a disease that could kill me. I was more worried about being able to adopt a baby. At 25, I think we are all immortal or think we are. Of course I did worry and yes, I was aware of my cancer but it also kept busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer