Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 04:06 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

I will add, as for anyone who chooses holistic, for every good story we hear, there are dozens of horror stories. I am sure some people really believe this can work, and who knows, maybe it does, but using traditional treatment is the only way I would want to go.

Again, good luck to you, your brother and the family
I understand, but the OP mentioned it is inoperable. Sometimes there is no other way except holistic, as was the case for my cousin and nowadays he is extremely grateful that it was inoperable. I never try to urge folks into going the holistic route as you have to choose what you are comfortable with, but when conventional therapies can't do it, I may point out that it's another option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 05:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I understand, but the OP mentioned it is inoperable. Sometimes there is no other way except holistic, as was the case for my cousin and nowadays he is extremely grateful that it was inoperable. I never try to urge folks into going the holistic route as you have to choose what you are comfortable with, but when conventional therapies can't do it, I may point out that it's another option.
I do understand what you are saying; yes, if there comes a time when nothing is going to help, it might be worth reaching out for any option, but we all know 99% of the time these routes do not work. For some reaching out might be the answer, for most, acceptance is a better one.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:52 AM

315 posts, read 210,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
OK, I'm not the one with brain cancer, but a very close family member is. It has metastasized to the brain from a bout of kidney cancer two years ago. It is inoperable due to the fact that surgery would leave this person, still a relatively young man, paralyzed or unable to speak.

Does anyone ever make it out alive once cancer takes up "court" in the brain? I am trying to decide whether or not to take a long leave of absence to spend some time with my brother, who is putting up a brave front, but I'm afraid, may be living out his last days. God, I HATE cancer.
I am so sorry to hear about your brother's condition - I truly know what it feels like. Last October I found out my oldest brother had cancer of the lining of the kidneys and by the time he told me it had already metastasized to his lungs (he did not smoke). (it was not my wishes or my doing but we hadn't been in touch or seen each other in 12 or so years). The chemo almost killed him so he decided with his doctor that he didn't want to do chemo anymore and he would just be made as comfortable as possible. They knew he was going to die - they just didn't know when. I saw him - spent a week in Virginia with him - got to meet and fall in love with his pets (and when he passed I helped find good homes for them) and cook for him as many of his favorites as he would allow - love on him. This is very healing and if you have a chance to spend some time with your brother I couldn't recommend it more. When he went into the hospital again I knew it was for the last time. My other brother got to be with him - they discovered several "spots" on his brain and in the end that is what killed him. The end came too soon but he was at peace - I was hoping I could see him one more time - but I am thankful I had that week in November.

Time some time off if you can and be with your brother. This horrid disease is different for everyone to some extent - maybe you will have more time than you think. Talk to him and be with him. Read to him and make him things and help him finish whatever he needs to finish.

My brother was extremely brave as well - and very protective up until the end.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:08 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do understand what you are saying; yes, if there comes a time when nothing is going to help, it might be worth reaching out for any option, but we all know 99% of the time these routes do not work. For some reaching out might be the answer, for most, acceptance is a better one.
Do we know that? I know several people who are alive and well and walking around after doing holistic therapy for their cancer. One of my best friends is 6 years out from a breast cancer dx and never did anything but holistic. But really, I don't want to get into a battle over this--was merely trying to help and holistic can work and the odds truly are better than 1%, even for those with stage 4. If nothing else, it can delay the inevitable.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:41 PM

645 posts, read 750,264 times
i hate cancer to! so sorry to hear about your brother...my mom passed away from stage 4 glioblastoma multiforme brain cancer :-( her cancer was a a very aggressive type and she only lived 5 months after diagnosis with partial removal and radiation and chemo....she was 65 so her age played a big factor in how well she took all the treatment....no matter how bad doctors tell you the outcome is....never lose hope.....spend as much time with him as you can....my mom never gave up and she tried to fight it but her poor body couldn't take it anymore....but she fought...and she had her loved ones there with her to help her and fight with her......cherish the time you have and brush out all the negative thoughts....just love him as much as you can...and be there....

Old 07-25-2015, 09:14 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times
Thank you for all of your informative responses. I believe they are treating it with the Gamma Knife radiation, and he is taking medication to prevent seizures. I feel that this is the "palliative" approach to control the grown of the tumors and prevent unpleasant symptoms, although the doctors have not told him that it is "palliative". We are, or course, praying for a complete cure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer