Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 10:18 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,430,957 times

Advertisements

My father is in his 80s and I just found out he hasn't had a colonoscopy in 12 years. He's a health fanatic - eats very little meat and sugar, mostly vegetables and fish - so I never thought he would shun such a fundamental test. Well, he's suffered from severe gas for several weeks now and he's had blood in his stool for the past week or so. Because of his healthy diet, I really don't think it's something he's eating. The gas has been so bad he hasn't been sleeping.

My fear (and I'm sure his fear) is colon cancer. Maybe it's just because it's in the media so much, but it seems like a pretty common type of cancer, which doesn't make it less deadly. I'm also paranoid because in the last few years I've lost multiple elderly relatives to various kinds of cancer and two of my father's closest friends recently died from other diseases. Another has already successfully dealt with prostate cancer (and there was a recent scare this year that it may have returned - thankfully it hadn't). I dunno, I guess there's no real relevance in that to what's going on except that I've been made acutely aware of how very fragile the lives of my oldest loved ones are and it makes me feel sad and scared and really worried. My friends used to tease me about my "old people" because I had so many older relatives and family friends I used to spend time with - and now most of them are gone.

My dad went to the doctor today and he's already scheduled a colonoscopy for sometime soon, but I didn't want to call after the appointment today because I was hoping he was resting.

But right now I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst and hope for the best. If it is colon cancer, is it very advanced if these symptoms are starting to manifest? Or is it still treatable? I live far away, and he sounded so terrible today on the phone. My uncle ignored the signs of the cancer that killed him until it had metastasized throughout his body, and it was an awful painful death.

Seriously, I've been around a lot of dying people, but the way he went out was horrifying. I'm terrified of that happening to my father. But maybe it's not cancer?

I'm sorry if this post seems irrational - I've been brooding over this all day and I'm really tired right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 10:33 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,310,015 times
Sorry for your Dad's health issues at this time.

Rather than agonize over "what if", I think your energies are better spent in just being supportive at this time.

You will have the results of the colonoscopy soon and the path lab report, if any needed, shortly after that.

Then you can deal with what presents.

It could be much better news than you are thinking ... and it could be a lot worse.

Either way, agonizing over it now isn't productive for either you or your Dad. Get the rest you need now so you can be at your best to deal with what may come.

Wishing him all the best, and you, too.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:56 PM

18,259 posts, read 25,946,751 times
One thing to look for here when the colonoscopy is performed is diverticulitis. Your gastroenterologist will be able to tell you shortly after your fathers procedure.

I had my fifth one 3 years ago and my gastroenterologist told me that I'm in the early stages of it. Google in diverticulitis and check out sites by Web.M.D. And the Mayo clinic, I've always found solid info from these sites-always. They can tell you in detail how diverticulitis/diverticulosis is handled, how it starts, etc. It happens to most seniors

Excess gas certainly is an issue with diverticulitis. I know. I'm 64 and have had 5 colonoscopies, the procedures have been every five years. If I make 75 to 80, doc says maybe every three years (if they have to remove any polyps that is). And I understand your fear of cancer. My dad went at 72. But he was a two pack a day smoker for a half century. Has your dad tried Gas X or Prilosec. It helps me, that's for sure.

A tip--the medical folks always stress lots of fruits and vegetables in your daily diet. Lots of fiber!! I try to keep that in mind when I eat out, not easy as most restaurants are skimpy on veggies except places like the Golden Corral, Western Sizzlin', etc. TOO much fiber can give ya gas pains as well. Eat right, but eat in moderation.

Sunspirit is right, take a step back, think this situation through. Ask the gastroenterologist questions on all this.

I think the dad is gonna be fine, he has a son who is staying on top of dad's health. That's a GOOD thing!

Good luck!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-06-2015 at 11:09 PM..

Old 08-06-2015, 11:09 PM

Thanks, sunsprit. But yeah, I know I borrow trouble. It's like my damn hobby or something. I suspect it has to do with the consistent flood of bad news that I've been getting over the past few years regarding my older family members.

@Double H, yes I am hoping for something like diverticulitis or diverticulosis. I was not aware how common it was though! He had gone to a doctor for the gas when it started keeping him up and was told all he needed to do was stop eating after a certain time. I suggested Gas X and Prilosec, and I will try again with that if the doctor hasn't recommended it. Thank you!

I'll talk to him tomorrow and see if there is any news or change.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:55 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,848,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
One thing to look for here when the colonoscopy is performed is diverticulitis. Your gastroenterologist will be able to tell you shortly after your fathers procedure.
I'm thinking that this is a real possibility based on your father's diet. He probably eats a lot of seeds, grains, and fiber.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:20 PM

Turns out it was an ulcer! He ended up feeling really terrible, and went to the hospital. They gave him an endoscopy and then put him on antibiotics. I'm so relieved, and I could tell he was too. My only complaint about his hospital visit is that they did not advise him to get a colonoscopy as well. He seems to think that the discovery of the ulcer means that there aren't any other problems. Argh!

But still, very happy it was nothing. I've been so paranoid about my surviving older relatives lately, mostly because I don't have very many left.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,055,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

I had my fifth one 3 years ago and my gastroenterologist told me that I'm in the early stages of it. Google in diverticulitis and check out sites by Web.M.D. And the Mayo clinic, I've always found solid info from these sites-always. They can tell you in detail how diverticulitis/diverticulosis is handled, how it starts, etc. It happens to most seniors

Excess gas certainly is an issue with diverticulitis. I know. I'm 64 and have had 5 colonoscopies, the procedures have been every five years. If I make 75 to 80, doc says maybe every three years (if they have to remove any polyps that is). And I understand your fear of cancer. My dad went at 72. But he was a two pack a day smoker for a half century. Has your dad tried Gas X or Prilosec. It helps me, that's for sure.

A tip--the medical folks always stress lots of fruits and vegetables in your daily diet. Lots of fiber!! I try to keep that in mind when I eat out, not easy as most restaurants are skimpy on veggies except places like the Golden Corral, Western Sizzlin', etc. TOO much fiber can give ya gas pains as well. Eat right, but eat in moderation.

Sunspirit is right, take a step back, think this situation through. Ask the gastroenterologist questions on all this.

I think the dad is gonna be fine, he has a son who is staying on top of dad's health. That's a GOOD thing!

Good luck!
you are right, most likely that is what it is. The older we get, the more likely we are to develop deverticulis and if it runs in your family it is even more likely. I know, I have it, my dad was really bad and our daughter, only 55 has had a couple of attacks.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:14 PM

17,729 posts, read 29,949,538 times
My colonoscopy was $50 under Medicare.
My entire cancer treatment (surgery, chemo) was $2500.
Want me to yell at him?
Get the test!

Old 10-05-2015, 01:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,055,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
My colonoscopy was $50 under Medicare.
My entire cancer treatment (surgery, chemo) was $2500.
Want me to yell at him?
Get the test!
I certainly am not argueing with you on whether Ops dad should be tested, but as for the cost: I do not have any idea why yours was so cheap. For us to even have a day proceedure with medicare it is $300.00. My husbands cancer treatment, a few years ago, after all that medicare and our advantage paid still came to over $5,000.00. That didn't include the actual surgery.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:51 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,524,640 times
My colonoscopy with my exchange plan (the best plan available to buy with the lowest deductible) cost me $5000. I still got it. Because nothing is more valuable than your health.

Hound your father. I am happy I did. It alleviated some worries AND I had a adenomatous polyp removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer