Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 08:06 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
The same applies to alternative methods.

Look at the evidence. Can't produce reliable date and your evidence flimsy, then face more scrutiny. If you have no desire for data and solid evidence, then I suggest you head on over to the alternative section.

If you want profits, do the alternative providers give you their wares for free? Do they charge for advice and visitations? Yes. What are their costs? Who and how are what they sell tested and regulated and shown to be safe? Look at how much they profit. They do so with no regard to safety, regulation or concern for outcome. Just their own gain.
I didn't say I was in favor of alternative providers, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 07:39 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If you're critical of conventional medicine, and you're not in favor of alternative providers, then what is your solution? The only other option left is to pray to your chosen deity and hope it/he/she/they are in the mood to give you a positive outcome. That, or give up and let the cancer kill you.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:57 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
So, wring your hands and hope for the best?

Old 01-26-2016, 06:27 AM

I'm in favor of excision. If it can't be cut out, then I personally believe it's hopeless anyway. Sooner or later, you'll succumb to it. I'd rather spend my "sooner" enjoying my life than frantically pursing doomed treatments, either pharmaceutical or natural. But that's just me!

Old 01-26-2016, 10:30 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
I'm in favor of excision. If it can't be cut out, then I personally believe it's hopeless anyway. Sooner or later, you'll succumb to it. I'd rather spend my "sooner" enjoying my life than frantically pursing doomed treatments, either pharmaceutical or natural. But that's just me!
How do you cut out your blood or lymphatic system?

You would have had me die before my 25th birthday.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:18 AM

10,225 posts, read 6,311,516 times
Jimmy Carter just released a statement that his cancer is not in remission and that he is still undergoing treatment.

At what point in time, especially AGE, do you say enough is enough and just enjoy the remaining time you have on this earth? Death is imminent in your 90's, cancer or no cancer. Just enjoy what time you have left. Are hospitals and treatments enjoyable? Maybe for some people they actually are.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

I've heard of cases of spontaneous remission, although you seldom hear of them anymore because refusing cancer treatment is an almost unheard of rarity these days. Personally, right or wrong, I believe you have about as good a chance either way -- letting nature take its course or being bombarded by poisons and death rays. But then, I'm a fatalist.

Anyway, the original post wasn't about why I would or would not seek treatment, but why he would.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:25 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times
Quote:
In order to cure cancer, every single cancer cell in a person's body needs to be killed or removed. Which is very difficult, and which is why in most cases cancer keeps coming back. Sometimes one may be lucky, even with chemo, and eradicate all the problem cells. The odds of this are probably 50,000-to-1.

The other thing is that different cancers progress at different rates and in different ways, and that for some cancers that are very slow or non-invasive, doing absolutely nothing to treat it is better than trying to get rid of it.

In rare cases, treatment works (surgery, chemo, etc). In most cases, treatment does nothing to improve life expectancy.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:23 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
I've heard of cases of spontaneous remission, although you seldom hear of them anymore because refusing cancer treatment is an almost unheard of rarity these days. Personally, right or wrong, I believe you have about as good a chance either way -- letting nature take its course or being bombarded by poisons and death rays. But then, I'm a fatalist.

Anyway, the original post wasn't about why I would or would not seek treatment, but why he would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
In order to cure cancer, every single cancer cell in a person's body needs to be killed or removed. Which is very difficult, and which is why in most cases cancer keeps coming back. Sometimes one may be lucky, even with chemo, and eradicate all the problem cells. The odds of this are probably 50,000-to-1.

The other thing is that different cancers progress at different rates and in different ways, and that for some cancers that are very slow or non-invasive, doing absolutely nothing to treat it is better than trying to get rid of it.

In rare cases, treatment works (surgery, chemo, etc). In most cases, treatment does nothing to improve life expectancy.

Funny, the 90% of people who live with my cancer might beg to differ.

I could point you to the numerous long-term survival studies or even the people with my exact diagnosis who are still alive 40 years later (though it was much rarer in those days), but that doesn't jive with your narratives.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:02 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Funny, the 90% of people who live with my cancer might beg to differ.

I could point you to the numerous long-term survival studies or even the people with my exact diagnosis who are still alive 40 years later (though it was much rarer in those days), but that doesn't jive with your narratives.
I am here 10 years post chemo. Survival rates continue to climb thanks to better practices and effective chemo therapy. We still have a long ways to go, but it is better the more we go on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer