Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2016, 07:41 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times

Advertisements

My husband was diagnosed with Lymphoma today. Stage 4 as it is in multiple locations. A multitude of test, scans and biopsy next week. The oncologist was very positive and said depending on the type of lymphoma we should be able to manage possible have a cure.

What's next? What do we need to expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 12:12 PM

274 posts, read 353,433 times
Very sorry about your husband's dx. Cancer is quite a journey, but the strides in blood cancers have given us all hope. I have a blood cancer that has a poorer prognosis than lymphoma, but one of the things I learned is that we are all different. Education is key in participating in decisions about our care, so you reaching out so quickly is wonderful.

The Lymphoma Society (https://www.lls.org) can be a wonderful resource. I attended one of their patient educational conferences and it was excellent. Highly recommenc Smart Patients (https://www.smartpatients.com/) as one of the best forums for support and information from kindred cancer patients. You can also use their search function for discussion on whatever topic you have a question about.

All the best to you and your husband. A cancer dx is quite a shock, but be heartened by incredibly improved prognosis for blood cancers. Our lives are changed, but can still be well-lived

Old 10-25-2016, 12:51 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
My husband was diagnosed with Lymphoma today. Stage 4 as it is in multiple locations. A multitude of test, scans and biopsy next week. The oncologist was very positive and said depending on the type of lymphoma we should be able to manage possible have a cure.

What's next? What do we need to expect?
There are different types of lymphomas. Some are aggressive, some are slow-growing. My friend had NHL, and hers was a very slow-growing type that could not be completely eradicated but had gone into an aggressive stage when she found out she had it. She was my roommate at the time, and I read everything I could find on her illness to learn about it.

Chemo (CHOP+R) got rid of the aggressive stuff. The lymph nodes shrunk and the swelling in her leg went down after the first treatment (her leg had doubled in size because of the fluid being retained). A few years later, she needed more treatment because the aggressive cancer returned, and again they were able to knock it down with chemo.

The doctors told her she could live with the remaining slow-growing lymphoma for 30 years; unfortunately, she died from alcoholism some years later.

I got the impression from what I read that the type of lymphoma depends upon the stage the first cell was in when it turned cancerous. So if a cell is mature when it converts to a cancerous cell, it will be the slower-growing type that is harder to get rid of. If the cell is immature, it grows fast but is easier to kill.

Don't take my word on all this--it's just what I remember, but I think education along with your doctor's advice is key to fighting your husband's illness. Good luck to you and to him. It does seem as though lymphoma is one of the more treatable cancers.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:25 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
I was diagnozed type B lymphoma a month ago, and will go through 8 chemos. Tomorrow will be the second. The treatment is Mabthera + RCOP. The first chemo was a bad experience as I developed fever, infection and a septic shock, which probably almost killed me, but I feel ok now. Today after a shower I found hair on any part of me can be removed relatively easily by hand. Need to have a haircut I guess.

Bit of confused about what caused this. I am in my 30s, have no bad lifestyle choice whatsoever. I always eat three meals on time, never smoke, rarely drink, go to bed before midnight 99.9% of the time, and I exercise regularly too. I never had a stressful job either (usually a 9-5 kind, seldom OT). But Bang! It still falls on me, not so many who are much older with so many bad habits. It seems just pure luck.

And of course my family has a lot of cancer patients, but none got it before 50.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:15 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Best of luck to your husband my hubby was diagnosed with colon cancer and a mass on his spleen..long story short he is having resection surgery on wed but he had an MRI done with contrast on friday and oncologist called us to tell us the mass is not the hemotomia he thought it was but it seems to be hard of course he wont know until they take out the spleen and biopsy the mass, but he said it could be benign but also could be Lymphomia..I am so scared..the MRI show other organs to be good so that is the good news....anyway OP you guys will get through this and be positive always...Hugs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer