Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 02:23 AM

36 posts, read 88,711 times

Advertisements

So I am going to make this as short as possible. About two years I posted about having a bad case of nausea for many months. Terrible dull and aching pain on the upper left side that radiated towards the back. I had an endoscopy done and a CT scan with dye this includes the one you drink. Tests came back negative on! I figure it was probably anxiety. The pains have come and gone since then. About 6 months ago I tried a different doctor after getting sick from eating too much greasy food. X-rays showed I was constipated and poop test came back positive for H. Pylori. Took the meds and felt better. Now for the past month or so the same issues have come back. Nausea especially in the morning and after eating. I vomited a couple of times. I have constant dull aches upper abdominal area and on my left side. I have an issue with bowel movement and my bowels don't look normal including thin shaped and floating balls. I don't see blood but it doesn't look normal. I have another endoscopy and colonoscopy next month. I am really worried that they will find something this time. A different symptom I have compared to last time is terrible sciatica on my left side including pain on the tip of my penis. A recent MRI revealed minor herniated and degenerative L5 disk so I think this is the cause of sciatica but I've heard sciatica can be caused by colon or rectal cancer. If my symtoms were being caused by cancer in the colon or digestive system wouldn't the CT scan have caught it two years ago? I am also starting to wonder if I have an intolerance to certain foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 04:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,092,378 times
sounds more like an intolerance to food or some such thing than cancer but you will know after your procedures. I don't think anyone here can even wager a guess. It could be so many things, like IBS for one. You didn't mention your age. Not that it is that important, but with age we do have more bowel problems and a lot more discomfort. I know, I do and I have had the routine tests you are talking about. Nothing seriously is wrong with me. Of course I don't have that much discomfort either, but do, from time to time.

Do keep us posted on how things go. It is good you are staying on top of this. But I have an idea you are going to learn there is nothing seriously wrong. Let's hope so anyway.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sounds more like an intolerance to food or some such thing than cancer but you will know after your procedures. I don't think anyone here can even wager a guess. It could be so many things, like IBS for one. You didn't mention your age. Not that it is that important, but with age we do have more bowel problems and a lot more discomfort. I know, I do and I have had the routine tests you are talking about. Nothing seriously is wrong with me. Of course I don't have that much discomfort either, but do, from time to time.

Do keep us posted on how things go. It is good you are staying on top of this. But I have an idea you are going to learn there is nothing seriously wrong. Let's hope so anyway.

Thank you for your response. I am 32. I guess I just get worried because my stools look weird and I can still see chunks of food that weren't digested properly. I hope you are right! I will keep you guys updated.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,092,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala_ws6 View Post
Thank you for your response. I am 32. I guess I just get worried because my stools look weird and I can still see chunks of food that weren't digested properly. I hope you are right! I will keep you guys updated.
Great and don't let this work you into a nervous wreck. At 32 it is extremely unlikely there is really anything wrong with you. Or should I say anything serious.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:17 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,812,447 times
H. Pylori can cause ulcers which can be really painful. In fact, I'm scheduled for an endoscopy next week because I've been having intense pain in my left side, under my ribcage (top of stomach) that radiates up into my left shoulder.

I was diagnosed with gastritis, ulcers and a hiatal hernia years ago, so I am thinking that it's just "more of the same." Has your doctor checked you for ulcers since H. Pylori is present?

My husband has colorectal cancer presently. His only symptom was constipation. Well, fatigue and generally feeling "unwell," too. It's a terrible thing to go through, so if you're at all nervous about the possibility, ask for tests for your own peace of mind. It's much better if it's detected earlier.

Have you had a colonoscopy done? If not, you may want to ask your doctor is that would be a good idea.
Good luck to you. Wishing you the best.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
H. Pylori can cause ulcers which can be really painful. In fact, I'm scheduled for an endoscopy next week because I've been having intense pain in my left side, under my ribcage (top of stomach) that radiates up into my left shoulder.

I was diagnosed with gastritis, ulcers and a hiatal hernia years ago, so I am thinking that it's just "more of the same." Has your doctor checked you for ulcers since H. Pylori is present?

My husband has colorectal cancer presently. His only symptom was constipation. Well, fatigue and generally feeling "unwell," too. It's a terrible thing to go through, so if you're at all nervous about the possibility, ask for tests for your own peace of mind. It's much better if it's detected earlier.

Have you had a colonoscopy done? If not, you may want to ask your doctor is that would be a good idea.
Good luck to you. Wishing you the best.
I was checked again for h pylori and was negative. I've had bouts where I felt like I was getting a fever but I think it's just anxiety. I've never had a colonoscopy. They will be doing both the colonoscopy and endoscopy on the same day.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:04 AM

102,312 posts, read 108,503,109 times
Quote:
OP, don't panic. You're doing what is called "catastrophizing"; your mind goes to the worst thing it could possibly be, in the absence of any other info, and spins a ball of anxiety about that.

Left side? It could be a dysfunction of the appendix. It could be diverticulitis or some other digestive system thing. It could be food allergies. Get more tests, try to find a good gastroenterologist, if you haven't already. Also, get tested for food allergies by someone who practices a technique called NAET. It's harmless--no shots or blood tests, and it could give you some useful info. You'll have to pay out-of-pocket, but it costs about the same as an acupuncture treatment. Google it + your city or region.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, don't panic. You're doing what is called "catastrophizing"; your mind goes to the worst thing it could possibly be, in the absence of any other info, and spins a ball of anxiety about that.

Left side? It could be a dysfunction of the appendix. It could be diverticulitis or some other digestive system thing. It could be food allergies. Get more tests, try to find a good gastroenterologist, if you haven't already. Also, get tested for food allergies by someone who practices a technique called NAET. It's harmless--no shots or blood tests, and it could give you some useful info. You'll have to pay out-of-pocket, but it costs about the same as an acupuncture treatment. Google it + your city or region.
I will look into it, thank you!

Old 07-25-2017, 12:55 PM

10,957 posts, read 7,503,118 times
sciatica (or something that feels like it) can be caused by constipation or pelvic inflammation, too.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:48 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,271,257 times
Quote:
.... Terrible dull and aching pain on the upper left side that radiated towards the back. I had an endoscopy done and a CT scan with dye this includes the one you drink. Tests came back negative on! .
First, it's meaningless to talk about "chances." Statistics only apply to the group, not the individual. You may be a .300 hitter, but you can't get 3/10ths of a hit in this At Bat.

With a normal colonoscopy and CT scan, it's a good bet, tho, that you don't have a tumor. Pain in the belly is caused either by a hollow organ getting obstructed and pressure building up (gall stone, kidney stone( !?), gas build up from bowel obstructed by tumor, hard stool, twist in the bowel- like a folded garden hose, for instance, or when the muscles/bones around the belly are involved- invasive tumor, bleeding/bruise or nerve irritation.

The walls around the abdomen are innervated by thoracic nerves, so lumbar radiculopathy won't account for it, although lower colon problems (tumors, hemorrhoids, diverticulitis) can cause low back pain.

Indigestion (acid problems) can cause upper abdominal discomfort. They're usually aggravated by eating certain foods and relieved, at least temporarily, by taking antacids or baking soda-- that can be used as "therapeutic trial' for diagnosis.

Pancreatitis can cause upper abd pain, but that's usually so severe you'd not be taking time to ask about it on the internet- you'd be in the ER.

The corner of the colon in the left upper area is the one spot the colon is held down by a ligament- it acts like a little hook on which the colon is draped and is the spot most likely for gas to build up as it has trouble squeezing past that hook. Passing the bubble of gas along relieves the pain.

You also state that undigested food frequently appears in the stool-- that means you have a "fast transit time"-- things just rush thru. That could be caused by certain food intolerances, or just the way you are-- you have a less well coordinated peristalsis-- your GI tract is clumsy- not a good dancer, so to speak- the essence of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer