Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 05:31 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,731,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Beware of brand name treatments and "exciting" new developments like proton therapy. All too often, these things are money makers for the providers, not optimal medicine. (I've spent my entire career in product innovation in health care - I know the other side of the story from the one you hear in ads.)

Off the cuff, here's my list of "things beware":

Cyberknife
CCA
Proton beam therapy
Da Vinci robotic surgery (the long term clinical evidence is not good)

Keep in mind that a pretty large group of providers has your wallet and insurance in mind much more than your health. "Branding" is a big caution flag.

The company my DH works for invented Proton Therapy. It has saved many lives!https://www.provisionproton.com/canc...ostate-cancer/

"Proton therapy for prostate cancer is a treatment option that involves using a focused ray of proton particles to destroy cancerous tissues. The treatment is capable of delivering precise, high doses of radiation to accurately target cancer cells without causing damage to healthy tissue surrounding the prostate."

I actually know someone (my mom's friend) who had this procedure done for Prostate cancer. It was painless, no chemo, no radiation and it got rid of all the cancer without making him sick. You have to qualify (depends on the stage) and most insurance pays for it now and it is FDA approved. To deter anyone of all their options is ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 06:52 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
The company my DH works for invented Proton Therapy. It has saved many lives!https://www.provisionproton.com/canc...ostate-cancer/

I actually know someone (my mom's friend) who had this procedure done for Prostate cancer. It was painless, no chemo, no radiation and it got rid of all the cancer without making him sick. You have to qualify (depends on the stage) and most insurance pays for it now and it is FDA approved. To deter anyone of all their options is ridiculous!
I maintain my position. Anecdotal stories do not count as evidence. Evidence is results from a clinical trial, properly designed.

There is a long history in healthcare of innovations (like this?) that looked great in theory. In practice, they offered no advantage, and sometimes harm. We don't usually recall them because when we find they don't work, their memory rapidly goes to the dustbin of history. Here's what the American Cancer Society says (bolding mine):
Quote:
With this limited availability and no evidence that proton therapy is better, why is use of the procedure rising at such a feverish pace? Financial incentives may be playing a role. Proton beam therapy for prostate cancer is reimbursed at a much higher rate than traditional radiation treatment for the same condition. Medicare pays about $19,000 for a full dose of standard radiation therapy for prostate cancer, but it pays nearly double for proton therapy – more than $32,000.

Prostate cancer has become far and away the most common condition for which a Medicare beneficiary receives proton beam therapy, accounting for 2 of every 3 claims and 80% of Medicare spending on the procedure. So while the cost to build a treatment center is high, proton therapy presents a lucrative opportunity for those who are willing to make the investment. Established facilities in the US report annual revenue approaching $50 million. This profit potential is leading to a veritable “arms race” in the field, with the number of facilities in the US expected to double in the next few years.
Who do I believe, ACS or you?

Old 03-22-2018, 07:09 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,731,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
I maintain my position. Anecdotal stories do not count as evidence. Evidence is results from a clinical trial, properly designed.

There is a long history in healthcare of innovations (like this?) that looked great in theory. In practice, they offered no advantage, and sometimes harm. We don't usually recall them because when we find they don't work, their memory rapidly goes to the dustbin of history. Here's what the American Cancer Society says (bolding mine):

Who do I believe, ACS or you?
Believe what you want! I was just stating my opinion. If I was diagnosed with CA I would explore all my options and any option that doesn’t involve surgery or chemo and doesn’t leave men impotent sounds like something I’d explore for my family if needed!! Since it’s now FDA approved and most insurance NOW covers it, why not make it an option to at least learn more?

At any rate, I have no financial gain here. The company my husband works for doesn’t even own the rights anymore as they sold that part of their division. I’m just trying to inform others of what’s out there as many doctors won’t suggest it so they can put patients through hell and take in all the money for themselves. Proton therapy has cured many people, including those with brain tumors that were inoperable and would have died otherwise!!

Let others decide if it’s right for them or not! Information is key!

Last edited by CGab; 03-22-2018 at 07:20 AM..

Old 04-07-2018, 07:06 PM

958 posts, read 2,132,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
If he is a vet and served in Vietnam, please file a disability claim. Prostate Cancer is presumptive for Agent Orange. It is never too late to file a claim.
You're absolutely right!
My dad is a veteran of the Korean and Vietnam wars. I was surprised when my dad had never filed a claim for Agent orange exposure.
I have been navigating the the VA disability process for the last three years for myself when I discovered this.
It took six months to jump through all the hoops but he was eventually awarded 100% disability.
It's a good idea to have a service officer from the VFW, DAV, American Legion, some service organization to help.
Good luck!

Old 04-07-2018, 10:14 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
You're absolutely right!
My dad is a veteran of the Korean and Vietnam wars. I was surprised when my dad had never filed a claim for Agent orange exposure.
I have been navigating the the VA disability process for the last three years for myself when I discovered this.
It took six months to jump through all the hoops but he was eventually awarded 100% disability.
It's a good idea to have a service officer from the VFW, DAV, American Legion, some service organization to help.
Good luck!
We did go to the local Veterans Service Office (VSO) and were helped by a wonderful young vet. Got the ball rolling, claim filed, and am now in the information gathering process. Medical records documenting the prostate cancer from the very first high PSA in 2008 to surgery in 2015 have been uploaded. Starting various medical appointments.

I don't look for him to receive 100% but perhaps 60% for pads and catheters usage.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Skeptic View Post
My PSA was slowly rising, and did a number of years of watchful waiting. When if hit 11 had a biopsy, with a cancer diagnosis.

Opted for radiation, 45 sessions over 7 weeks, and 3 years later my PSA is 0.5, released by the radiation oncologist, and urologist visits reduced to annually, and only very minor side effects.

Have a good friend that I guess kinda panicked, and was of the "cut it out, cut it out" mindset. Had the surgery, with some unpleasant side effects, incontinence, and still had to have radiation later.
If I didn't know better I would say you were by husband, but he is sitting here next to me right now. He had exactly the same thing and yes, when his numbers reached just under 12 he had the biopsy. He too opt for radiation and now, almost 7 years later is cancer free. In fact he doesn't even have to see the urologist anymore as of last year. He did take firmagon (spelling) as well and it did do some damage to his legs. They are very week. Like you he had several about 45 treatments over 8 weeks. I will add, his original urologist was a jerk. He had tried to convince us the cancer had probably spread and he needed the surgery Well the body scan showed no spread of the cancer so he found another urologist. As if turned out the new doctor recommended radiation. Since then we have had a lot of friends switch to our the same guy hubby sees with very favorable results

Old 11-17-2018, 10:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Skeptic View Post
My primary doc said I needed to see a urologist when I finally decided a biopsy was likely a wise move. We had been watching my PSA creep up for years. I talked to several medical people I know, and based on their recommendations choose a doc to see. Biopsy, the phone call a couple of days later and the wife and I went back for a consult. He spelled out all the results, and options. He is a surgeon, in a practice of surgeons, and I asked him "if you were sitting in front of your dad or brother holding the results in your hand, what would you advise them?"

He said radiation. My feeling is that when a surgeon doesn't recommend surgery, I should listen. He also talked about the different drug options, and said he honestly couldn't recommend them as studies were showing they had little to no effect on outcomes.

Asked the same question to the radiation oncologist on my first visit. He said I can actually answer that, as that is what he told his dad 20 earlier, and said he is 88 is doing fine.

I have virtually no after effects from the treatment, aside from some bowel changes that don't really impact day to day activities. Last colonoscopy, the doc pointed out the radiation burns in the colon.
I agree completely and that is exactly what hubby's surgeon said. He made the comment, if it were his dad he would not recommend surgery. The doctor who wanted to cut hubby up had a different opinion. One of our good friends had been going to cut it out surgeon with a PSA that did indicate cancer and it was. Cut doctor said surgery was needed. Friend wanted to do robotics but doctor said it hadn't proved to be that successful. Friend changed to hubby doctor Not only did her recommend no surgery, he recommended the wait and see game. This has bee close to 3 years and his PSA has barely climbed. It is climbing a little so probably they will choose to do something in the next few years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer