Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 06:18 PM

111 posts, read 180,846 times

Advertisements

Good evening!

So I have a kind of sticky situation. I am scheduled to receive radiation for 8 weeks next month. My friend set me up with this great interview at a state job. I had the interview Friday and it seemed to go great. I'll find out next Friday but here is my issue. This would be a life changing job, paying double what I am making now, and more secure. Hypothetically speaking, should I tell them about the fact I have to be out for 2 months due to radiation therapy or wait until after I sign a job offer and tell them? I want to be honest, but I also don't want this to disqualify me. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 06:00 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,113,647 times
Oh this is soooo hard. I'm sorry you are faced with this decision.
As much as a value honesty, I think and I've been told many times, that when it comes to employment, no one looks out for you so you need to look out for yourself. I would say pursue the job and don't disclose anything until you get an offer. It's not very different to newly pregnant women not disclosing a pregnancy.

I got a great promotion in a job I was in in 2013 right before I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was unable to transition into the roll when needed due to my treatments and overall health and I ended up losing that promotion. I ultimately left that job as the "consolation job" wasn't what I wanted to do. And then I proceeded to get fired from the next two full time jobs I had! So I"m a huge advocate in looking out for yourself as none of those companies looked out for me.

Good luck with the job and with your treatments. I wish you healing.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:31 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,752,313 times
State jobs can be flexible. I wouldn’t mention anything until you get a verbal offer, but in many cases they may be able to be flexible about the start date if they really like the candidate. I know we had one person we hired at my last job who was hired in May and didn’t end up starting full-time until July because he lived in a different area several hours away and had to wrap things up there. It is also not unusual for them to hire people from other state jobs who already have preapproved vacations or medical leave on the books.

It can be difficult to get a job posted and a person approved for hire, so in many cases, they’d rather get their preferred candidate if it means waiting two months than have to go with a substandard candidate. It sounds like your friend set you up with the interview, and I know at my last job they really preferred to get people who were recommended than to have to go with unknown candidates because we tended to have A LOT of turnover with the other folks.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
State jobs can be flexible. I wouldn’t mention anything until you get a verbal offer, but in many cases they may be able to be flexible about the start date if they really like the candidate. I know we had one person we hired at my last job who was hired in May and didn’t end up starting full-time until July because he lived in a different area several hours away and had to wrap things up there. It is also not unusual for them to hire people from other state jobs who already have preapproved vacations or medical leave on the books.

It can be difficult to get a job posted and a person approved for hire, so in many cases, they’d rather get their preferred candidate if it means waiting two months than have to go with a substandard candidate. It sounds like your friend set you up with the interview, and I know at my last job they really preferred to get people who were recommended than to have to go with unknown candidates because we tended to have A LOT of turnover with the other folks.

That's the only reason I was considering switching jobs before treatment. Being that it's a state job, the start date could be longer than usual. I am getting proton therapy radiation and everything they are telling me is that it's not that bad really, or at least comparatively.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:10 AM

20,135 posts, read 16,259,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corymartine View Post
Good evening!

So I have a kind of sticky situation. I am scheduled to receive radiation for 8 weeks next month. My friend set me up with this great interview at a state job. I had the interview Friday and it seemed to go great. I'll find out next Friday but here is my issue. This would be a life changing job, paying double what I am making now, and more secure. Hypothetically speaking, should I tell them about the fact I have to be out for 2 months due to radiation therapy or wait until after I sign a job offer and tell them? I want to be honest, but I also don't want this to disqualify me. Any suggestions?
You need to tell them. Even in government jobs there is a probationary period where you can be let go without explanation. Regardless, FMLA does not kick in until you have worked 12 months and there are not laws in most states that shelter new employees who miss due to illness . If I understand your post correctly you currently have a job, as a general rule changing jobs in the middle of time consuming treatment is not a good idea. They may take you anyway if you explain it, but you need to give them that option for your own sake - you want to avoid being unemployed if possible. I am really sorry you are in this position.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You need to tell them. Even in government jobs there is a probationary period where you can be let go without explanation. Regardless, FMLA does not kick in until you have worked 12 months and there are not laws in most states that shelter new employees who miss due to illness . If I understand your post correctly you currently have a job, as a general rule changing jobs in the middle of time consuming treatment is not a good idea. They may take you anyway if you explain it, but you need to give them that option for your own sake - you want to avoid being unemployed if possible. I am really sorry you are in this position.
Yeah I agree, I am going to tell them when I get the job offer and before I give my other job notice. That way if they aren't willing to give me a start date after my treatment, I'll still have my job and I'll still have the fmla in place either way.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:28 PM

23,588 posts, read 19,374,213 times
Quote:
Good evening!

I feel your pain and can fully sympathize! What has your oncologist told you about your treatment schedule and the common side effects? So much depends on what area they will be treating, as the prescription is very specific. How far do you have to travel to get your treatments? Its one thing if you have to go a long distance for it and stay someplace temporarily for the 8 weeks. Quite another if its local.

I know this is scary. Even though everyone's situation is different, maybe hearing someone describe what it was like for them would help a little. I went through this for bc while working full time. I lived alone, but this didn't require any assistance or big life changes. The entire thing was quite manageable, but I only had to go across the city for treatment. It didn't require staying home the entire 8 weeks for. Took leave from work each day and was back again within an hour or so. There were no drugs given so I didn't have anything to "recover" from after each treatment. The treatment itself is quite brief; a couple of minutes (checking in, undressing, and waiting room took most of the time). We chose a daily appointment time that was convenient for both clinic and myself. 5 days per week, not 7. Many people schedule it for before or after work hours. I didn't feel abnormally tired until the sequence was almost over. Getting a bit more sleep and cutting back on a daily exercise class dealt with that. Skin reaction was mild, but that varies a lot....they will know how to help with these things.

That being said, I think telling them after you have an offer would be best. You can tell them you have a daily medical treatment obligation until such and such date and go from there.

All the best to you! You'll get past this!

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-15-2018 at 01:52 PM..

Old 01-15-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
I feel your pain and can fully sympathize! What has your oncologist told you about your treatment schedule and the common side effects? So much depends on what area they will be treating, as the prescription is very specific. How far do you have to travel to get your treatments? Its one thing if you have to go a long distance for it and stay someplace temporarily for the 8 weeks. Quite another if its local.

I know this is scary. Even though everyone's situation is different, maybe hearing someone describe what it was like for them would help a little. I went through this for bc while working full time. I lived alone, but this didn't require any assistance or big life changes. The entire thing was quite manageable, but I only had to go across the city for treatment. It didn't require staying home the entire 8 weeks for. Took leave from work each day and was back again within an hour or so. There were no drugs given so I didn't have anything to "recover" from after each treatment. The treatment itself is quite brief; a couple of minutes (checking in, undressing, and waiting room took most of the time). We chose a daily appointment time that was convenient for both clinic and myself. 5 days per week, not 7. Many people schedule it for before or after work hours. I didn't feel abnormally tired until the sequence was almost over. Getting a bit more sleep and cutting back on a daily exercise class dealt with that. Skin reaction was mild, but that varies a lot....they will know how to help with these things.

That being said, I think telling them after you have an offer would be best. You can tell them you have a daily medical treatment obligation until such and such date and go from there.

All the best to you! You'll get past this!
Thanks for your point of view Allison, it's really helpful. I don't know what to expect exactly having never gone through radiation before. I've been through chemotherapy and that was definitely not a walk in the park on top of working. My oncologist describes it going the same as yours did, only thing is treatments are 3 hours away.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:19 AM

23,588 posts, read 19,374,213 times
Quote:
Thanks for your point of view Allison, it's really helpful. I don't know what to expect exactly having never gone through radiation before. I've been through chemotherapy and that was definitely not a walk in the park on top of working. My oncologist describes it going the same as yours did, only thing is treatments are 3 hours away.
Ah, obviously that will make quite a difference. Good luck to you! For most patients radiation is a lot easier than chemo! I wish you the best!

Old 01-17-2018, 07:08 AM

15,906 posts, read 21,543,828 times
Did your doctor say you would have to take 2 months off for treatment? Where will you be receiving radiation?

While I did not receive radiation, when it was still on the table I was expecting to work full time through it (as I did through chemo, though towards the end I had to take more time off). Not ideal, but what I would need to do to keep a roof over my head. Depending on other factors like your age, overall health, and the area being radiated, it wouldn't be abnormal to expect to work full time through treatment. Many go for radiation first thing in the morning, after work, or on lunch or otherwise come in a little late or leave a little early.

Just something to consider!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer