Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2019, 06:10 AM

1 posts, read 449 times

Advertisements

I am a 77 year old male and my PSA has gone from 2.3 to 2.6 and my doctor is greatly concerned because of this jump. Is there anything to be concerned with as these numbers has been the same over the last 7 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 10:50 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,406,327 times
I thought anything below 4 was considered normal for PSA. Besides, it is also considered normal to have a 20% variability between readings. I’m not a medical professional, but I’m not sure what the big concern would be, unless this “jump” from 2.3 to 2.6 was part of a larger trend or if you were having symptoms.

So, don’t worry, but listen to your Dr, I guess ...

Old 04-20-2019, 06:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I thought anything below 4 was considered normal for PSA. Besides, it is also considered normal to have a 20% variability between readings. I’m not a medical professional, but I’m not sure what the big concern would be, unless this “jump” from 2.3 to 2.6 was part of a larger trend or if you were having symptoms.

So, don’t worry, but listen to your Dr, I guess ...
Pretty much feel the same as you. We have a good friend who's number is closer to 6 and even then, his doctor is just watching it. if it goes up much higher he will have surgery or radiation. The number has been almost the same for a few years and he too, is about 77. My husband, who has had prostate cancer and went though a lot including 8 weeks of radiation was told by his doctor not to worry until the numbers do get closer to 7 or 8. His number stayed around 2 to 4 for 10 years probably.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:39 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishank1084 View Post
I am a 77 year old male and my PSA has gone from 2.3 to 2.6
and my doctor is greatly concerned because of this jump. Is there anything to be concerned with ...
Yeah. How long it's been since your Doctor read any current literature.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:21 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishank1084 View Post
I am a 77 year old male and my PSA has gone from 2.3 to 2.6 and my doctor is greatly concerned because of this jump. Is there anything to be concerned with as these numbers has been the same over the last 7 years?
I would suggest that you see a urologist.

If your doctor is so concerned about a 0.3 increase in PSA scores, I think he is not very well read on the subject. But a urologist will be.

My PSA went to 27 one time, which triggered a urologist visit, a digital exam, a sonogram, a biopsy and then a bone scan, an MRI and finally the surgery to remove my prostate.

It is a good idea to monitor your PSA, but a small increase is not a crisis.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:13 PM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Yrs ago the test used had a normal up to 2.5. The one used now has normal below 4. But prostate cancer is only about the 5th most likely cause of elevated PSA: mechanical irritation, infection, infarct and a level appropriately high for the size of the prostate are all more likely causes of elevation....The older the pt is, the less likely aggressive treatment is called for-- Younger guys often have a more aggressive cancer and require more attention....And they can do genetic testing on biopsy material to see if it's aggressive or not.

And at age 77, you have to consider your other health problems: if you have serious health issues &/or family history of earlier demise, then maybe it's not necessary to worry about prostate ca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer