Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 11:35 PM

177 posts, read 857,204 times

Advertisements

Is it true that being close to powerlines increases risk on Leukemia and cancer ?

Or is this a myth ?

Has it been proven conclusively ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 01:42 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,564 times
Eating hotdogs can cause cancer. This world just isn't what it used to be. I realize I didn't answer your questions, but I don't know. I would imagine if you did some internet research, you may find something that gives such information. Hey, we're all going to die of something, so lest not your heart be troubled.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:00 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,245 times
* Cancer is due to cell mutation.
* Damaged DNA can lead to cell mutation.
* Ionizing electromagnetic fields can damage DNA because they have enough energy to kick electrons from atoms.
* The current in power lines creates electromagnetic fields.
* The current is alternating (changes direction) at 60 times a second.
* The electromagnetic field therefore changes direction 60 times a second.
* In order for the electromagnetic field to be ionizing, it has to change faster than 10000000000000000 times a second.

==> because the AC frequency in power lines is so low, it won't cause cancer.

Are Electromagnetic Fields Hazardous to Your Health? CDFS-185-96 (http://ohioline.osu.edu/cd-fact/0185.html - broken link)
Safety and Health Topics: Radiation

Old 06-07-2008, 02:30 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
In newer neighborhoods all the power lines to a house are buried under ground. There is more waves put out by those wires than high power lines in a short distance from the house.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:11 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,594,433 times
While high power lines may not cause cancer, they do negatively affect your resale value. Something to keep in mind.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:55 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Eating hotdogs can cause cancer. This world just isn't what it used to be. I realize I didn't answer your questions, but I don't know. I would imagine if you did some internet research, you may find something that gives such information. Hey, we're all going to die of something, so lest not your heart be troubled.
Hey, galore, thanks for that info.

Canine, I totally agree. What with all the plastics, pollution, chemicals, foods loaded with pesticides and preservatives, people stuck in offices and/or houses all day with too little natural sunlight, etc., it's no wonder we have such skyrocketing rates of disease. Now they're talking about radiation from cell phones. Yes, we are all going to die of something but I'd like to hold off the best I can! Sure not easy though.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:03 PM

430 posts, read 1,358,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
* Cancer is due to cell mutation.
* Damaged DNA can lead to cell mutation.
* Ionizing electromagnetic fields can damage DNA because they have enough energy to kick electrons from atoms.
* The current in power lines creates electromagnetic fields.
* The current is alternating (changes direction) at 60 times a second.
* The electromagnetic field therefore changes direction 60 times a second.
* In order for the electromagnetic field to be ionizing, it has to change faster than 10000000000000000 times a second.

==> because the AC frequency in power lines is so low, it won't cause cancer.

Are Electromagnetic Fields Hazardous to Your Health? CDFS-185-96 (http://ohioline.osu.edu/cd-fact/0185.html - broken link)
Safety and Health Topics: Radiation
The large High Voltage electric lines are Direct Current.

Cosmic Ray impacts with the Earth are the source of most of the ionizing radiation people get. With the slowing solar cycle and the resulting slowdown in the Solar and Earth's magnetic field, the CR count has gone up 5-10% the last year.

We all know that not smoking, a good diet and exercise is the greatest impact anyone can have on their cancer risk.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:05 PM

430 posts, read 1,358,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Hey, galore, thanks for that info.

Canine, I totally agree. What with all the plastics, pollution, chemicals, foods loaded with pesticides and preservatives, people stuck in offices and/or houses all day with too little natural sunlight, etc., it's no wonder we have such skyrocketing rates of disease. Now they're talking about radiation from cell phones. Yes, we are all going to die of something but I'd like to hold off the best I can! Sure not easy though.
What is your source for "skyrocketing" rates?

Many types of cancers, adjusted for age, have gone down.

If people want to sit on their butts all day, rather than go for a walk at lunch or after work, that's their mistake.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:31 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,640,975 times
When I was working on real estate, there was a document in a packet that went out to buyers which covered a host of items that "could be" negatively affecting your health and power lines were one of those items. It noted a sort of "warning" that it's been "suggested" that power lines cause different types of cancer.
In my own opinion though, I feel that today everything we do or eat is causing cancer depending on the day and who you talk to. So, I look at it like this, I live, eat, drink, do what I want and live my life the way I want and not worry about it! HA!

Old 06-10-2008, 10:11 AM

790 posts, read 4,018,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob View Post
Is it true that being close to powerlines increases risk on Leukemia and cancer ?

Or is this a myth ?

Has it been proven conclusively ?
Get some protection if you're concerned.
This is just the first web-site that i found at google but it looks informative and with product information as well:

EMF Protection devices and protectors for home, personal and cell phone use

I wear a pendant that supposedly (no i can't prove it and won't debate it) provides protection.
I've been wearing it for years and it's as if it's part of my body now.
Intuitively, i feel that it's beneficial.
I rarely use my cell-phone and have concern that in the days to come it will become more and more apparent that they are indeed dangerous. I've been considering getting one of the devices that provides protection for them as well but don't have the $$$ at the moment.
I'm concerned about the lengthy amount of time that children / teenagers spend talking on their cell phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer